The porch garden.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biffdoggie

Test Monkey (Moderator)
Reaction score
Shwag soil, partial sunlight and left-over hydro nutes (which I burnt the hell out of the tomato with) sitting on my porch/stoop thing.

Two types of tomatoes growing into each other, brandywine and beefsteak.

4 corn plants in the same pot (I know, I know).

And some poblano, cayenne, blushing beauty and habanero peppers.

There's a bunch of other stuff too, the regulars (aloe, rubber plant, bromeliad).

Nope, that's a couple of habanero plants. I started those from seed, they took about 4 months to gain any size at all and then all that growth in about three weeks. No habs yet, the poblano, beauties and cayennes are producing though.

Looking good. My Blueberrys just began to show early berries! And my strawberry is coming nicely. I cant say my assortment is as fine as yours but I have some pics anyways.:D

Strawberry.jpg

Blueb#2.jpg

Blueb#1.jpg

Ready for harvest! And the Blueberries are coming in fat and ripe!

Strawbberie!.jpg

blueberryberry.jpg

moreblueb.jpg

Looks good man, I love blueberries, we had huge patch on our land when I grew up in TN and we would eat those things until we were sick of them!

I wish I had the room for large patches, but I make do. I think we all wish for more room...

was growing a buncha tomatoes and other veggies this spring out in the backyard but schwag soil, too much sun and no rain! No matter how much I watered nothing would fruit worth a damn

so im gonna porch grow next year

that way I wont have to worry about sun and other b.s. torching my food
and porch growin lets you keep a better eye on you plants

J.D. if you have problems with getting alot of sun and no rain, i'de try growin some watermelon. The dryer it is the sweeter the watermelon are but you will still need to water them regularly.

j.d. said:
was growing a buncha tomatoes and other veggies this spring out in the backyard but schwag soil, too much sun and no rain! No matter how much I watered nothing would fruit worth a damn

so im gonna porch grow next year

that way I wont have to worry about sun and other b.s. torching my food
and porch growin lets you keep a better eye on you plants
Hey man, here's a trick you might try. Where I live, the sun can destroy tomatos in a bad way. I put stakes in about 4 feet apart. Little 1x1 sticks will do. Then lightly stretch cheese cloth over them and staple em with a little piece of plastic between the staple and the cloth to prevent tearing. Make em tall enough so you can work on the plants without hitting it. That gets annoying.

In the hottest part of our summer, I use two layers to lessen the amount of sunlight on the plants. Earlier or later in the year, you can remove the sticks and roll it up. I've used this method for a lot of years. Works great!

The rain gets through and the full sun doesn't. Nice maters!

J.D. if you have problems with getting alot of sun and no rain, i'de try growin some watermelon. The dryer it is the sweeter the watermelon are but you will still need to water them regularly.

Hey Im tryin to grow some cantelope. Does that work on cantelope too? They have the same problems though. Cant grow them on a porch though lol

Hey man, here's a trick you might try. Where I live, the sun can destroy tomatos in a bad way. I put stakes in about 4 feet apart. Little 1x1 sticks will do. Then lightly stretch cheese cloth over them and staple em with a little piece of plastic between the staple and the cloth to prevent tearing. Make em tall enough so you can work on the plants without hitting it. That gets annoying.

bro got some pics? are you talking about wrappin up like mummy style or puttin a roof over em? really wish i planted my plants on the porch ill tell you what

j.d. said:
Hey Im tryin to grow some cantelope. Does that work on cantelope too? They have the same problems though. Cant grow them on a porch though lol. bro got some pics? are you talking about wrappin up like mummy style or puttin a roof over em? really wish i planted my plants on the porch ill tell you what
You stretch the cheese cloth over the plants like a roof that the sun can shine through. One layer is about a 30% decrease in direct sun.

No, I don't share any pics of my outside yards. Too easy for someone to recognize something. This is a pretty easy thing to do though.

Good luck.

i dont know about cantelope, im not a big fan of it

Guess whatt I spent some of the afternoon diggin up some of my plants and put them in containers. The season pretty much over where im at since its gettin hotter and didnt rain worth a damn this year. I figgur I'll have to bring them in before too long anyway. lots of them were the ssame baby height i planted them. cheesecloth or no its be awhile before i ever plant out in the yard again. while they in pots i can move em around and control the sitchiation

one good thing tho i planted cucumbers (pickle sized) and they produced like a mofo, they didnt give a $h**, came up bigger than the regular sized cucumbers

anyone growin cucumbers too? they seem to grow well even under the worst conditions (mine)

i got some cucumbers going....only had one show so far and a damn bird got into it :rolleyes:

hey once i move my plants into pots can i bring em inside? will they survive till next spring? I'm hopin I can just stick em back outside and get right back to growin tomatoes an stuff and since they alreaduy grown alls i hafta do is pick fruit? :confused:

LdyLunatic said:
i got some cucumbers going....only had one show so far and a damn bird got into it :rolleyes:
Damn birds are getting smarter and smarter. My dad used to give us a nickle for every pigeon we showed him. He hated them. Said the cows wouldn't eat hay that was crapped on by a pigeon. I was a kid with a 22 and a mission. It's a wonder the roof didn't collapse from the bullet holes.

Latest posts

Back