The proper nutrients? (Plus: Heridity v. Environment)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolly12345

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A quick synopsis:
1. First-time indoor soil grow for personal use only.
2. "Seedburger"-germinated bagseed of various unknown pedigrees.
3. Approx. 2x2x9 feet growspace with oscillating fan to aid gas exchange and promote stem strength; temp and RH hovering near 70F/50%.
4. Lighting is a combination of blue/red spectrum CFLs with a total of near 5500/sq ft lumens over the entire area; lights on 24/7 for veg stage.
5. Currently 2 plants just now 2 weeks old that are about 3 inches in height with both bushing sideways nicely (largest leaves at the 2nd node from the bottom spreading to nearly 7 inches with each having four nodes and working furiously on the fifth), plus 3 others that are still seedlings about 1 week old.
6. Wish I had access to a digital camera because I don't think the above desciption does these beauties justice. ;)
7. If any critical info was omitted, I'll be glad to supply it.

After reading and re-reading all the advice on nutrients the feeling I've come away with is that during veg you want something that's high in nitrogen with relatively lower phosphorus and only trace potassium. So...

I went out and picked up something called Nitrate of Soda (N-P-K = 16-0-0).
It was all I could find that was even close to the ratios described above. I was in a general gardening center where everything else had basically the same levels of N to P with very low (or zero) K. The other alternatives had something that seemed completely out of whack ( low or zero N with high P and/or high K).

I think I was looking for something that was closer to, say, 16-8-1 or maybe 16-4-1. Anyway, when I got this Nitrate of Soda home I finally noticed on the package that it said "This product is not intended nor recommended for Container Grown Plants" which is exactly what I've got. So now I'm wondering if I've purchased something that is inappropriate and possibly damaging to my plants. I don't intend to feed this to my plants until I hear some positive response from the local experts. I understand that if this stuff is OK I'd still need to get something additional that would supply some P and trace K. Maybe along the lines of 0-8-1 if such a concotion exists?

Sorry for the long-winded question. I think it's important to be as precise as possible and then step back and watch where the chips end up falling. As always, thanks to any and all who care to respond.

A quick aside: Is the sex of a plant predetermined in the seed or is this something the plant "decides" along the way based on it's environment? Thanks again for any info.

My Standard Disclaimer: I'm so far off the "map" on this growing stuff (despite of or perhaps because of all the research I've done) that if I end up with anything smokable at the end of this process I will view it as a near-miracle worthy of celebrating by consuming the children I've worked so hard to raise. And if that ain't the definition of cannibalism then what is? The above disclaimer is written with tongue firmly in cheek. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

For veg you want something highest in N but that also has P (phosphorus) and K (potash or potassium).
Like 16-8-8.
You can't rely on the numbers. Some might say 30=15-15 and the instructions call for you to mix for example 1 tablespoon per gal/water, another might be 10-5-5 and say to mix 1 teaspoon per gal/water.
That equals the same amt.
What you need to look for are the ratio's. Lots of N for growth during veg, lots of P for budding.
You also need micronutrients and trace elements. A top quality nutrient like Fox Farms products supplies these.
I suggest going to a plant nursery or large garden center.
P.S. I prefer organic nutrients over chems, except for hydro.

Sex: It seems that some seeds are "born" with a propensity for being either male or female.
Stressful conditions can turn girls into hermaphrodites or males but I've never heard it happening the other way around.

Oops, almost forgot:

Could anyone please speak directly to this product "Nitrate of Soda" (16-0-0) that I purchased? Should I simply throw it away and purchase something that would include all important nutrients, if such a product is available? And if a product that is all-inclusive exists, could someone please give a specific example of this?

Thanks again for any and all info.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1974<---How to get more females for your $...

Fox Farms organic trio.."Grow Big", "Big Bloom" and "Tiger Bloom" will provide just bout everything your plants will need from germination to harvest. There are other quality products, Age Old, Botanicare, ect. But I don't think any come more highly or more often recommended than FF.

Thank you, Hick. I will order some of the Fox Farms trio today! =)

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Latest posts

Back