There are no Stupid Weed Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On to another stupid question. Is there a simple (I mean cheap) way to measure N-P-K in water and adjust the ratios? Replacing the reservoir water seems like a waste when I don't even know its condition.
I got a soil test kit at wm for around $5. It says to use distilled water so as to not influence the soils NPK. I imagine it could test the NPK if your res water the same as it does soil. It measures pH also.

thats a good idea. Seeing a window unit not suspicious like my view on the way to the garage which my guests so far have not noticed or at least asked about. anyone from this thread would be all over it tho…View attachment 291127
I made a screen to fit my basement window out of old screen frame. I then replaced the light easy to see through screen material with a block out screen material. The Blk out is super dark black and makes it very hard to see anything inside.

I got a soil test kit at wm for around $5. It says to use distilled water so as to not influence the soils NPK. I imagine it could test the NPK if your res water the same as it does soil. It measures pH also.
Thanks, I should have guessed. All I had to do was replace water with soil in my google search.

I'm did some research on it brother. It's a waste of my time. Different chromosomes. You won't get the THC.

On to another stupid question. Is there a simple (I mean cheap) way to measure N-P-K in water and adjust the ratios? Replacing the reservoir water seems like a waste when I don't even know its condition.
That's pretty much where chosing the right ferts comes in because they already have adjusted the NPK for veg and flower.
If in soil they make make test kits to test your soil where you will know what's already in your soil where you can adjust. I never had a problem with my soils so I don't bother.
In Hydro it's water your working with and adding your ferts that should already be adjusted.

Still haven't had any of the heavy weights chime in on my grafting question. Might just have to find a source for ruderalis and try an experiment myself.
I remember years ago my grand dad who had many apple trees did grafting
He would take 6 different apple branches and graft to a very healthy stock stump tree. They all continued to produce the fruit of what tree they were originally.
Like a weeping cherry tree is made , and blk cherry stump base and the weeping branches grafted onto it.
If I remember correctly he had one tree started as an apple stock healthy stump trunk
and grafted plum , cherry, and two other apple branches to it.
The tree use to grow all kinds of fruit , True story.

I'm did some research on it brother. It's a waste of my time. Different chromosomes. You won't get the THC.
Weird. Isn't the cross pollination of the ruderalis and sativa/indica plants how they get autos?
I'm confused. Doesn't take much to confuse me, though.

I never could figure out chemistry, either. Take H2O. Two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen. It's the stuff we're basically 70% of. Add one more oxygen molecule to the mix and you get H2O2. In it's pure state, it'll melt the hide off of ya! Weird.

Not so much can you measure ratios without a bunch of lab stuff. But, you can tell from plant reaction to some degree.what can be measured is PH and EC, or how much nutes are in the water. These measurements, along with observing the plants condition will allow you to adjust what needs adjusted.

Bubba

Last edited:
Weird. Isn't the cross pollination of the ruderalis and sativa/indica plants how they get autos?

I never could figure out chemistry, either. Take H2O. Two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen. It's the stuff we're basically 70% of. Add one more oxygen molecule to the mix and you get H2O2. In it's pure state, it'll melt the hide off of ya! Weird.
you have tasted my exs chicken soup...

Sorry I was talking about grafting weed to hops.

That's pretty much where chosing the right ferts comes in because they already have adjusted the NPK for veg and flower.
If in soil they make make test kits to test your soil where you will know what's already in your soil where you can adjust. I never had a problem with my soils so I don't bother.
In Hydro it's water your working with and adding your ferts that should already be adjusted.

Most of the hydro stuff I've read recommends replacing the solution periodically because it gets unbalanced as the plants consume the nutrients. If I knew what they were depleting, I could just add that back in instead of replacing the whole reservoir. Might even give me a better idea of what the ratio of nutrients should be.

I am starting to lean back toward soil, though. I still find hydro entertaining, but I can tell I will get tired of micromanaging things after a while. Soil just requires less attention.

Crash I have done both. Soil is much easier to me and temps are not such a problem.
I grew a lot of weed in DWC buckets I made myself. The only problem I actually ran into was temps. The solution needs to stay cool to have healthy roots. Plus PH is much more important.
I like working with soils and making my own compost and using compost teas.
But I like both soil and DWC.

I ran a R-DWC and changed the solution once a week. When you use cheap nutes, you can afford to do that.
My first was the dreaded Miracle Gro, and I had good results, but I found that Shultz seemed to have a better ratio of the good stuff I was after, so I started using it. Of course, I used different blends from veg to flower. I'd have to dig out my old notes to tell ya exactly what I used and when. I do remember that I replaced the H2O2 on a daily basis, along with a daily PH check.
Don't even think about running a R-DWC unless you have a wet & dry vac handy. It happens.

Latest posts

Back