There are no Stupid Weed Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For weird water like mine it's great. Several here say their tap water is fine for use after sitting out overnight. I just got lucky!

Bubba
I am lucky too, my tap comes out around 150ppms a dead 7PH always
I use a filter before sink which removes Chlorine but I still do air bubbler in 5 gal buckets 24 hrs to be sure

Chlorine and chloramine really isn't a big deal. If it's toxic for you, then it's toxic for the plants so why waste extra time for something that doesn't really affect anything.

My pH is around 7.8-8.0 on the tap and ppm is around 230-270 and I just go with it and add the nutrients until it's at my target ppm for the stage of growth and everything is peachy! My SIP goes through around 2.5-3 gallons per week times 2 and I'm just too lazy to go buy 6 gallons of water lol!

Also I suggest bloom plus veg dry fertilizer since it makes everything much simpler in terms of cost, mixing multiple solutions, etc. I also add cal mag because that's the trendy thing to do!
No deficiencies for me!

Chlorine and chloramine really isn't a big deal. If it's toxic for you, then it's toxic for the plants so why waste extra time for something that doesn't really affect anything.

My pH is around 7.8-8.0 on the tap and ppm is around 230-270 and I just go with it and add the nutrients until it's at my target ppm for the stage of growth and everything is peachy! My SIP goes through around 2.5-3 gallons per week times 2 and I'm just too lazy to go buy 6 gallons of water lol!

Also I suggest bloom plus veg dry fertilizer since it makes everything much simpler in terms of cost, mixing multiple solutions, etc. I also add cal mag because that's the trendy thing to do!
No deficiencies for me!
are you using a earth box?

No deficiencies for me!
I’ve never let my tap water sit before watering. My city water has a good PH usually under 7 and ppm under 200. I haven’t had any real problems so far maybe I’ve just been lucky too.

are you using a earth box?
Nope! Using an octopot
It's great as it always has the optimal water amount and oxygenation. I started in only soil, but it just never really took off that fast, but after transplanting, it's growing 50% faster or more.

The small picture was after transplanting and the other one ( post below this reply) is after 3 weeks ish

Attachments

• IMG_20220306_182255.jpg
    IMG_20220306_182255.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 7
I’ve never let my tap water sit before watering. My city water has a good PH usually under 7 and ppm under 200. I haven’t had any real problems so far maybe I’ve just been lucky too.

Wow that's to lucky!!! I hate fiddling with the pH all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_122026.jpg
    IMG_20220326_122026.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 3
Nope! Using an octopot
It's great as it always has the optimal water amount and oxygenation. I started in only soil, but it just never really took off that fast, but after transplanting, it's growing 50% faster or more.

The small picture was after transplanting and the other one ( post below this reply) is after 3 weeks ish
Im assuming a octopot works like a earthbox?
My earth box holds 2 gal of water i believe

What I don't like about the earthbox is that the wicks are at the corners. It's not a bad thing, I just don't like it because your plant's water roots (imo) do better (faster) straight down rather than having to spread to the corners first.

I built my SIPs off of the octopot design (sort of) where you get water distribution from the center with a much bigger wick which allows your water roots to dive straight down to drink (and takes less time) while your feeder roots take over the rest. Wetting of the soil is equal(ish), but just my two pennies.

Note: I've never used either the earthbox or octopot. Just my beliefs on the efficiency.

If city water was a problem how the fk would I water all my trees,bushes,flowers, and veggies without killing them. My place is covered with a beautiful lawn, trees,fruit trees, black berries, blueberries,and flowers of all kinds. No fking way would I be trying to hand water all that stuff with 5 gallon buckets full of water that had set for 24hrs with a bubbler.
Now I do collect rain water when it rains to water my my veggies just give them fresh rain water when I can. Other than that my plants,trees, veggies,fruits, and marijuana when I'm growing gets tap water and I've never had a problem. If chlorine was a problem I think we gardener's would be screwed.
Now if I lived in Flint Michigan that might be a problem.😁

This amazes me. For the past few years, I've been buying spring water ($60ish/month) to water my plants because sooooo many people talk about how this and that in tap water is bad for them. I never bothered to pH test my tap water until today. I can't test ppm because my meter is dead, but at a pH of 7.1, I guess I can save some money.

This amazes me. For the past few years, I've been buying spring water ($60ish/month) to water my plants because sooooo many people talk about how this and that in tap water is bad for them. I never bothered to pH test my tap water until today. I can't test ppm because my meter is dead, but at a pH of 7.1, I guess I can save some money.
Your city may post the PH and ppm coming to your house but I wouldn’t rely on it totally. Your tap PH doesn’t seem that bad just a couple drops to bring it down to what you like to grow at. I go with about 6 now after reading some that go with 5.8 and 6.5. I use to go with 6.5 with no problems tho.

Your city may post the PH and ppm coming to your house but I wouldn’t rely on it totally. Your tap PH doesn’t seem that bad just a couple drops to bring it down to what you like to grow at. I go with about 6 now after reading some that go with 5.8 and 6.5. I use to go with 6.5 with no problems tho.
I like mine at 6.7. I added my EM to a gallon of tap to test, and got 6.6 so pretty happy with that.

Speaking of PH, does anyone know why DWC water PH could rise from 5.8 to 7.9 overnight? It happened once before, and stopped after I replaced the water and readjusted.

I added a frozen water bottle without removing the previous one, so the water level was a little higher, touching the hydroton. I pulled both bottles out this morning and readjusted. In an hour or two I will check again, but if it's like last time it will be back over 7.

If city water was a problem how the fk would I water all my trees,bushes,flowers, and veggies without killing them. My place is covered with a beautiful lawn, trees,fruit trees, black berries, blueberries,and flowers of all kinds. No fking way would I be trying to hand water all that stuff with 5 gallon buckets full of water that had set for 24hrs with a bubbler.
Now I do collect rain water when it rains to water my my veggies just give them fresh rain water when I can. Other than that my plants,trees, veggies,fruits, and marijuana when I'm growing gets tap water and I've never had a problem. If chlorine was a problem I think we gardener's would be screwed.
Now if I lived in Flint Michigan that might be a problem.😁
Just for the heck of it next time you have a bucket of rain water chk PH and see if it is true about the acid rain

Latest posts

Back