There's more to life than weed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plug on huh? Well, you asked for it...

66 years old and disabled now but all I used to think about was graduating from high school, walking outside and getting into my truck/trailer with all the dogs howling and drive off for Alaska.
Go as far as it was possible to go by truck, then on foot till I found a place.
Spend two years cutting wood an building a cabin, then start setting out the trapline.
Live there the rest of my life, trapping bear and eating deer meat and beans.
\
Tales of an Alaska trapper, Ray Tremblay. That was a good one!
Remember Nicky, wild dog of the north?
The French factor canoeing down the river in the last scene singing in french with Nicky and
the bear on the hill watching them go.

I loaned 5 books to the head Doctor at 'Baylor Hospital severe traumatic brain injury ward',
One of them, the one I thought he would like the least was the book he liked the most!
50 years a hunter/trapper E. N. Woodcock
It changed his life!
"Poet! Two school age kids going 40 miles beyond the last farm. {A long time ago}
Building a cabin! And living there all winter!
Trapping bear and eating deer meat and beans!
That level of 'freedom' is inconceivable to me"!
{They took 150 Lbs of beans, "Don't forget the beans boys".

{He really liked that book}
He needed to 'get out' and that was the reason I loaned him the books.
"A vacation for your mind"... he laughed, thanked me and took the five books.

Anyway... I never made it to Alaska and am still here in Iberia.
Dern...
What was it y'all said?
"Man don't live by weed alone"

Yes there is beer!

The Poet...

Last edited:
Im glad i didnt just come up here with a rifle and an axe, im too lazy, had some health issues over the years, dont like the cold that well and a lot of other stuff.
It took me 20 years of so of half a— trying then i got serious about it and got a job up here. That job was a slope job! I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and make more than the Governor!
I’ll out live most os them bush folks and am not tied to one general area. A lot of people up here have remote cabins and we looked at that but id need a dozen of them. That was when we bought the boat! Now i spend the time somewhere in Primce William sound or out in the Gulf of Alaska.
The older i get the more appealing this arrangement is. Packing Moose quarters out is beyond me nowdays, and i got a buddy an we trade moose for shrimp so it all works out.
Off to the Sea life Center today with the kids, grandkid and great
Grandson.

I pooped my pants in the White House, once. Sounds like we have some stories to share. LMAO

Thats great Hackerman, ill keep my politics to my self only to mention that me and Ronald Ragan shared the same birthday and were both left handed!

A forums kindof a strange place to get to know people and unless we know each other in real life, we only get a piece of the picture.
Heck, once i get just a wee bit more comfortable ill tell you About the time i got my nut sack stuck in a rifle barrel!!! That’ll make you spew your coffee.
I bet!!!

I have a friend who killed a Moose one time.
Wayne Welch was his name and he bought a big chest freezer, packed the moose and after three days in the freezer the Moose was froze and they stopped every night at a motel and plugged the freezer in.
Came back home and at first his wife wouldn't eat Moose then she would't let him cook it in the house. Then his friends stopped accepting Moose meat, nah we still have some.
Then his dogs', a wolf and a german shepard when Wayne would cook two 4-5 lb Moose roasts and take them to the dogs who lived under the house. they'd come out and look at the meat and go back under the house.

Wayne said it took two years and he had to eat the entire Moose himself, but he ate every bite, alone.

{It was killed, bled and butchered right as Wayne was a real trapper, I don't remember if it was a buck or a doe however}
{ Wayne said the meat was good there just was too much of it}

Poet, he said, I'll never kill another Moose,
they are just too big.

Thank you...

The Poet...

Last edited:
Over the years ive heard stories about this or that game animal being rank and i know this can be the case. However, everything happens for a reason and many times that reason is quite simple. Most folks never butchered so theres the possibility of problems from poor handling. The weather can be a factor as well. Then theres “the season” when wild animals breed and that plays apart with some species.
Thats too bad they didnt like the meat, its not on top, squirrel holds that spot then caribou and antelope but we still prefer the moose over beef.
Now i shot a black bear once who was in the blueberries and that meat was some of the tenderest best tasting meat ive ever eaten, but 2 hours later it was still laying there in my stomach not moving and we didnt care for that, very rich, more so than javilina even. We gave that bear meat away and ive never shot another one.
Im headed home today, fish campaign behind me. Happy with this years catch and looking forward to popping some seeds. When i got more en a phone to type on, ill write up that nut sac storg for you guys.

Last edited:
All right, here we go. If your not a gun person thats ok, read this and enjoy the humor!
Back in the early 70's i lived and worked out of Odessa Texas at a machine shop that was out of town a little ways. There were no close neighbors and we were able to ride dirt bikes AND shoot on the property without any issues. On this particular day i'd been firing a black powder rifle during my noon break which necessitated a good cleaning as soon as i got home that evening.
Being a left brain man, i concocted a plan, a lazy plan that would get the gun clean with little effort on my part.
I decided i'd bathe rather than shower nen when i'se done id toss the rifle barrel (which had been dissasembled from the gun) in to the bath water to soak while i ate my supper.
Well, i gathered up the necessary supplies and had them sitting there on the vanity when i hopped into the tub. There was the cleaning rod, a bottle of dish washing soap and a large cleaning patch cut from some old long johns.
While i soaked in the hot water my mind began to wander and before long i was pretty pleased with this plan, heck ive always liked bathes better anyway. Well i got out and towelled off and remember im standing there butt naked with no tools what so ever so i had to improvise, left brain men are quite adept!
I then decided that the best thing would be to squirt a big shot of that dish soap down the barrel before laying it in the water to help soften up the fowling while i ate my dinner. Well, remember im naked; so i placed one end of that rifle barrel on the floor and held the other end between my legs which worked out pretty well, i could still see an inch or so of the barrel down there. So i gave it a big shot of soap right in the end of the bore then laid my cleaning patch over the hole and started the cleaning rod into the end of the barrel. So far so good but them i made a fatal mistake because when i reached up to the top of that cleaning rod i didnt notice my scrotum had relocated as well and now those little brown things(hairs) were right there on that cleaning patch and with a great push the rod went sailing down into the rifle bore, pulling about 3 inches of skin down in there with it.
Now lets stop for a minute because i dont want this next part to sound like im anything but respectful of women, but you know how there always talking about child birth and how much stretching goes on, well im here to tell you boys stretch too!
Ok, so during this event i must have been muttering some high pitched whines because in an instant there stood my wife looking at me in wide eyed wonderment. Guys, you know that look; when you can tell they need more words? Well i got straight to the point by saying forget it, im not going to the emergency room. Can you imagine walking in there and throwing open your bath robe and saying, what cha think about that? Yea me either. I did ask her to come around behind me and sit down and hang on, no matter what i say or do, hang on and when i get this thing off we'll re-evaluate the situation. Well she did and i did and it came apart easy enough and id like to say i strolled out into the living room and ploped down on the couch for a better look but that would be a lie. First of all i was still blind from all that stretching and besides my knees were still kinda wobly so i just sorta crept out there and sat down. There i conducted a full inspection and noticed about a 3/4 inch wide by 2 inch long pretty blue stripe appearing on the front side of my nut sack. I can say that here, cant i? I later learned that was called a hemitoma.

Now that was over 30 years ago and im happy to say ive never repeated that event, however noticing the value in the story i have told it on numerous occasions during a safety presentation i put together titled " The King of Complacency". Im not sure how many safety meetings you ever been too but when id ask " how many people in this room beside me ever had their nut sack stuck in a rifle barrel" you can imagine; i had their attention.

Any way hope you enjoyed this and dont think poorly of me and oh yea, thats my best story so dont be expecting no encore!
Alasgun Mike

Last edited:
Thats great Hackerman, ill keep my politics to my self only to mention that me and Ronald Ragan shared the same birthday and were both left handed!

A forums kindof a strange place to get to know people and unless we know each other in real life, we only get a piece of the picture.
Heck, once i get just a wee bit more comfortable ill tell you About the time i got my nut sack stuck in a rifle barrel!!! That’ll make you spew your coffee.
LOL, tis better than mine, I share a birthday with political name

More to life than weed? I'm bout to turn 62 and just got my first Corvette :cool:

and my very best friends are folks I've met in forums and then in real life, tis why we have Ridfest :)

Alasgun, you really know how to get something started!!

Attachments

• 17.5 in 3.5lb. Crappie [size 10 shoe].JPG
    17.5 in 3.5lb. Crappie [size 10 shoe].JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 36
  • crappie 2.JPG
    crappie 2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Back