Things to not use - Growing indoors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTooHigh

Reaction score
Hi there MP, I searched up things to not use for indoor growing. Since I'm a novice and don't know much I'm making this so people can throw in things they've used that, either do not work, or could even kill your plant! I have one thing to add so far that I bought cuz it was pretty cheap and thought I could use it. Its called "Wonder Soil" a soil brick that expands. If any beginner thinks they should use this, think again, it can, and most likely will nute 'burn' your plant. I tried it, and the under tips of my leaves are brown/yellow, the burn that occurs when there is too much of certain nutes. Another product to not use is MG food spikes, they will also burn your plants, and don't provide the right amount of npk for flower or veg. So again this forum is for anybody and everybody who wants to know about certain products and their impact on your plants, or if you want to add something for everyone else to see so they know not to get it.

DO NOT BUY CHEAP REBRANDED CHINESE KNOCKOFF VERSIONS OF ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY ANYTHIN USED TO FIGHT OFF ODOR OR HEAT. u might get lucky and then u might not , but when comes to some things like I said wit fightin heat and odor I learned several a lessons over the years and never again will I buy generic grow equip or anything for growin anything ever again.
dropped 600$ one time to HTGsupply bein was in financial pinch atm and figured wth it gonna hurt a few generic versions of some things... LOL yeah right. maybe if I was some old grandma startin her tomatoes in Dixie cups in window sill every year for 50 years that Chinese knockoff garbage may seem fascinating and like its all that and a bag of chips but trust me, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!! BUT after the restocking fees for returnin all the stuff and havin to reorder all real gear from else whee it was expensive lesson learned. I sought out to save money and ended up spendin more in the end than if I were to have jus gone out and got quality stuff the first time. if ya cant afford it, then wait. DIY something form round ur house til got nuff cash. but don't throw ur hard earned money at these cheap knockoff goods pushers. JMO and EXP. not jus one exp either but many.
Good luck siftin thru all the garbage to find the right quality item and the right reputable retailer whom u cant trust too. STAY AWAY FROM EBAY TOO!!! especially for nutes. ebay I swear is like the land of misfit garbage rotten/bad goods or knockoffs fakes, scams etc etc
If u shop for a bargain in a world where everything is "u get what u pay for" then ur never gonna get what ur really bargaining for

This is a great thread to start, thank you. Man, haven't we all done dumb stuff to start.

I just would like to say that any advice your receive about chemical nutes or pesticides on this site ot anywhere else needs to be backed up with the LABEL. Always read the label... I am an organic grower and i cringe when i see people using heavy duty chemicals on a plant the will be ingested.

Thanks for starting this thread...

I'll toss one in.... Jiffy Peats. The little tablets that you soak in water and they puff up to a little ball the size of a golf ball with a net around them.

I have cloned in these, rockwool and dirt. These are the worse. Maybe the peat is a little too sweet. Maybe they are packed together too tight. I'm not sure why but they have always given me bad results compared to other techniques.

The odd thing is, I have often seen these recommended.

Just my 2 cents

Do not use any pre-nuted soil. Do not use any soil with moisture crystals.

i personally HATE the rampant use of products like eagle 20, and how it's so quickly recommended
..if you have powdery mildew problems.. clean house and start fresh. don't keep putting a band-aid on a broken bone.

unless it's something you just cannot lose (and you're using it properly), leave the eagle 20 on the golf greens. it's just a lazy-mans cover up, and i fear we're also gonna create some super-bug type pm. (and i'm not sold that it does no harm either)

i also don't recommend serenade for the opposite reason; it just doesn't work ;)

as for peat pucks, i couldn't disagree more. cloning is the one area i'm proud to boast about and quite confident to help others, as i can count on 1 hand how many clones i've lost the last few years with them.
i do like to let them dry out a bit after soaking them though, before i plop a clone in. ;)

Anything with osmocote.

Miracle Grow products (except the Seedling Starter Soil, that's a keeper)

ph strips.

Haha Don't use Tin Foil on your walls for reflective material
Also i like to mention few years back i did a documented grow cause so many people had issues using Miracle Grow will see if i can find it again .. Any ways it was a successful grow and harvest .. used the bottom feed technique,,,,, rather then top water, which many growers do
causing to many nutes to release either way MG does work prob not to be recommended for the first time grower ,

I used MG for years. Just didn't have access to anything else. I had great crops. Using Fox Farm now.

Glad to see people like this thread. When I couldn't find anything quite like it I decided why not, it can't hurt, in fact it can only help growers from making bad decisions.

I used MG for years. Just didn't have access to anything else. I had great crops. Using Fox Farm now.

For every success story with MG there are more horror stories.

Yes you can grow with it but it's often not easy to do. I have seen way more people struggle with it than succeed. jmo

well let's see....... it used to be LED's.. not anymore:)......... and I agree with Kaotik about the jiffy peats....... they work great for me nearly 100% of the time........ I haven't seen anyone tell you to don't use bag seeds.

Don't EVER use/accept/trade clones from a friend, neighbor, etc. etc.

Maybe this should be a "don't do this because" thread. Some new growers will not know why we should not use bagseed, why foil is bad, etc. I don't know why not to accept clones from friends?

So, do not use pre-nuted soil because the proportions of N-P-K are not correct for cannabis. WE also want to be able to control what the plant gets and administer the nutrients it need in the proportions it needs for the phase of growth it is in. You have no control over prenuted soil. In addition, it can be too hot for new seedlings and kill them. It is generally best to buy nutrients formulated for marijuana vegetative growth and a different fertilizer formulated for the flowering phase.

We do not use soil with moisture crystals in it because marijuana needs to go through periods of wet and dry to draws oxygen into the root system which needs oxygen to flourish. Moisture crystals keep the soil continuously wet.

The reason you never accept clones from anyone is because of mites.
I personally have experience with this.
I also have seen others with the same problem, someone swears on their mothers grandmother their room is clean, yet shortly after your new clone comes home mites come with them.
Is this the standard? No, have I gotten clean good clones, Yes.
But that said, anyone that ever got mites understands , it's not worth it, buy seeds and start fresh.
Also, anyone new to growing won't know how to spot mites, if they know what mites are so this advise is pretty much standard issue for non experienced growers, and even many experienced ones as buying clones breaks the #1 rule, dont tell anyone.
Just my opinion :)

Well Sherrwood it should be mentioned that any new green family member ...... Be quarantined /treated and monitored before bringing into your garden Same goes for being steril your self if visiting another grow or if working outside and around house shower and change prior to entering your grow space as you can bring in unwanted guests

Here is another one if bringing in fresh air into your grow room make sure to screen/ filter your intake vents

Do not use "duct booster fans" for ventilation. They are worse than useless as they don't draw air. They are nothing more than a miniature box fan that allows air to bypass around it. For proper ventilation, you need to use centrifugal fans, and use them to pull air out of the grow space so that there is a vacuum (negative pressure) placed on the grow space. Then allow the incoming air to be pulled in by this vacuum through "passive venting at the bottom of the grow space.

Miracle grow products (with the exception of the Seed Starter mix) are not engineered for MJ making it a not-so ideal medium to grow with as maority of their products have counterproductive amendments. i.e. osmocote or water crystals.

Osmocote: Time released ferts are not good for cannabis and the newb grower as you're not in control of when the plant uptakes nutrients and could easily cause nutrient lockout.

Ph strips have an error margin of .5% Nowhere near accurate enough for ppl starting out growing cannabis, aka newbs.

Miracle grow products (with the exception of the Seed Starter mix) are not engineered for MJ making it a not-so ideal medium to grow with as maority of their products have counterproductive amendments. i.e. osmocote or water crystals.

Osmocote: Time released ferts are not good for cannabis and the newb grower as you're not in control of when the plant uptakes nutrients and could easily cause nutrient lockout.

Ph strips have an error margin of .5% Nowhere near accurate enough for ppl starting out growing cannabis, aka newbs.

First of all what is needed to grow marijuana ,,, Nitrogen, phosphorus,and Potassium NPK ???? MJ needs high Nitrogen for growth in VEG and as it enters flowering stage Nitrogen is lowered and our phosphorus levels raises.
As for MG there are different types

Speciality potting mix with nutrients designed for slower growing plants as well has more aggregate for fast drainage for plants that dont like standing water ,
General potting soils for hanging plants summer annuals, indoor plants with up to 6 months so they say of ferts in it

Moisture control potting mix that will hold as they say 30 percent more water then other soils
choosing the right mix of soils is just as important in any growth of any plant
But getting back to NPK ,,, and being totally honest
Even given the exact NPK of 2 different formulations would they be the same ?????
NO they wouldn't because the NPK elements are bound up in molecular compounds with differing degrees of bio-availability. there may be inorganic salts, oxides, chelated or colloidal minerals. Translation: your cannabis can use some compounds easier than others.
Even if you look at different manufacturers you will see that each one has a different idea of what is best right lets see here

GH flora grow for vegging 2 .1. 6
GH for bloom 0.5.4

advanced nutrients
Connoisseur Part A for vegging: 4-0-4

Connoisseur Part B for flowering: 1-5-6
So tell me what is the best ??? right but anyways
MG does work don't kid your self

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=434769AD8B840FA6B0B0434769AD8B840FA6B0B0

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTOYI6-K8I[/ame]

Latest posts

Back