Think I found pollen sacks first Time with Regular seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good job, you successfully identified your first male
...time to prepare for your first execution ;)

:)

*BTW you had the correct term the first time; those are pollen sacs, not "nans" ;)

Don't jump too fast. Sometimes the nodes look like that. It's hard to tell from the blurry pics but generally speaking, pollen sacs will point down and the little pods at the nods will point up.

Not sure what the name is for those little pods at the nodes.

I killed the first one already. I'm like 75% the other 2 are males.

Hacker man you have seen sac looking things on female plants that are not hermie? Odd

Yeah, there are little pods. I always called them false seed pods. Not sure what the real name is.

They form on the joint between the stem and the fan leaves.

I'll see if I can post a pic.

EDIT: I think I remember they are called the calyx.

Yeah, there are little pods. I always called them false seed pods. Not sure what the real name is.

They form on the joint between the stem and the fan leaves.

I'll see if I can post a pic.

EDIT: I think I remember they are called the calyx.

Yes, and they generally point up like tits, not hang down like balls. Yes stank that first one was definitely a male.

I had a few of these, got concerned at picked most but left a couple that I monitor closely and they opened with no pollen. They were never any color but green.

Never ever count on them opening with no pollen.

Stank is not dealing with a hermie, he is sexing regular seeds. Stank it is the luck of the draw on males and females from reg seeds. I once got 5 out of 5 males. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

You do have some time--several-weeks usually--between the time you first see nanners and the time they mature and open. I do believe that they are males, but you do have time to "make absolutely sure" before you chop them.

So they all produce sacks? Some will be pistals some will be pollen?

I don't want these 2 to mess it all up. Can't get my veg light till 20 .

As plants mature, you will get the little "sacks" form in the "elbow" of the nodes. These are the "preflowers" that always form on mature plants. These preflowers are calyxes (the sexual organs of MJ). If you watch carefully, you will find on the females that the buds are actually piles of these little calyxes. Bunches of calyxes form like grapes to become the "buds" that we all love.

However, if the sex of the plant is male, the calyx will change its form slightly and extend out on a tiny stem, rather than staying tucked in the cusp of the node. As it extends out on the stem, it will swell from the growth of the genitals within, and that will make it hang as it ages. Once it reaches ffull maturity, it will open up and reveal the "anthers" which look like a bunch of tiny bananas (thus the name "nanners"). At this point, they will release pollen.

If the plant is female, the little calyx will stay tucked in the cusp of the node and will spit out 2 white hairs, "pistils", which are the receivers of the pollen. Often as the plant ages, if it doesn't get any pollen on it, those lone calyxes will swell and can make you think that there is a seed forming there when there isn't one. That is just the same swell that you see in the buds during the final weeks before harvest. :)

So they all produce sacks? Some will be pistals some will be pollen?

I don't want these 2 to mess it all up. Can't get my veg light till 20 .

No, reg seeds will most likely contain both male and female plants. Males produce pollen sacs. Females develop pistils. Hermies develop both. What we are saying is that new growth at the nodes sometimes looks like pollen sacs when they are not. Sometimes they look like pistils, too. So do not be too hasty to sex these as you have plenty of time to confirm male before the pollen sacks open. They look a bit small to be showing sex (how old are they?), but they do look like male parts to me. But give them time. Once you have sexed a couple of plants, you will see how easy it is.

I'm a little confused--you don't have a veg light? What are they under? I was a little worried about the amount of stretch you have, I guess not having a veg light is the reason?

I have a veg light but need another so I can flower these girls.
They are under a 1000watt MH. The stretch is this strain it grows super lanky.

I'm like 85% these are males. I'm VERY tight on space so I don't need to be growing males. They are a just under a month old .
They are super stinky and sticky . These sacks are pointing up. Not a good impression first time with regular seeds. Out of 12 4 germed out of the 4 3 males 1 Female.

A few days is not going to make much difference. Be 100% sure before you trash them. That is just the luck of the draw and you ended up with the short stick. I have gotten 4 females from 5 seeds. Usually you will get about a 50/50 mix, but not always. Why do you suppose that only 1/3 of these popped? That is a horrible germination rate.

Check into some training methods like supercropping or fim for lanky plants--it does help.

Super old seeds that were not properly stored etc. I got them for free at a fundraiser. The next Reg seeds I will buy is the melvangentics if I can get my hands on her gear.

I still like my fem seeds. Haven't had a herm yet. Hope next reg purchase is a lot better if I drop $100 for males I'll be crying .
Wish I had better pics I'm sure you would say male

Latest posts

Back