Thinking about buying this BHO Extractor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that should work fine. 24 hour purge per side. make sure to flip it at east once.

OK, so I put the little silicone baking mat right in the dish and I blast right into the dish.

Let the butane evap (is the warm water bath important or is it just OK to let the 80 degree outdoor temp evap the butane?)

Then, after the butane is gone, it's safe to take it all back inside and use the vac to purge without blowing myself up? Or should I do the vac outside?

How dry should I let it get before it goes in the vac?

I have seen more than a few videos that use Everclear. Any comments on that?

C'mon guys. I can't do this right without you and I'm not going to do it wrong again. LOL

Baby steps.

once the liquid is gone there is nothing left to blow up.... there are small amounts of tane still in the oil but no where near enough to blow up...

IMO vac purging is not needed on such a small amount of oil...

Id bet TEG's extractor prob holds 8oz+ per run and his returns are prob 30-50+g depending on material... I do think when purging that amount of oil a vac is def needed... and probably split into smaller amounts to purge...

I want to be able to make that "shatter" stuff. LOL It's my understanding that I need the vacuum for that.

If I need to make a bigger batch to make it work, I can do that.

In fact, the new blaster I just bought is easily 4 or 5 times bigger than my other one so I should have that much more oil.

We'll see what happens. If I already knew everything, the hobby wouldn't be fun, any more. LOL

That made me thing of something. Do I have to fill the blaster tube 100% or can I run it 1/2 full or 3/4 full?

OK, my vac will be here today so I am going to do a little testing.

Couple questions come to mind....

What pressure do I take the vac to and how long does it stay in the vac (I think someone said 24 Hrs?).

And, I saw one vid where they left the little silicone pad right in the bowl, blasted the tube and left the silicone pad in the bowl while the butane evaporated and also while it was in the vac. I'm not sure I like that idea.

It's 90 degrees here today and this butane is going to evap in about 2 minutes. Should I still do a warm water bath?

I would like to do it right this time so all input is welcome and considered. Most of this is new to me.

Thanks

Well, I just blasted a new batch through my new tube with my new bowl with my new silicone mat.

Should have some new hash oil soon. LOL

The new tube is glass instead of plastic and it is about 4 times bigger. I used 2 cans of butane. I blasted directly into the vacuum setup glass bowl and I placed the silicone pad into the bottom of the dish before blasting. I went nice and slow this time, allowing the butane to penetrate the weed a little.

I also used the hot water bath this time. It is bubbling away as we speak. Should be done in a few.

The silicone pad made it so I won't be doing any razor blade scraping (I hope). The video I saw just showed the user patting the oil with the pad and gatheringit that way. Hopefully, it will work that way.

Also, there is a big chuck of something floating in the butane and most of the bubble are coning from that. It looks like the picture in Muti's signature. I am hoping this is a good thing.

After all the butane is gone, I will bring it in and put the vacuum to work. Sure hope this attempt turns out better than the others. LOL

What pressure and how long in the vac?

How long is it supposed to take to create a vacuum is a small chamber like this?

This thing keep running but I never get any pressure. I can feel it sucking through the valve if I put my finger on it.

It's only a 3 quart chamber and it has been running for 5 minutes with no reading on the pressure gauge.

It must have a leak somewhere but I can't find it.

I am open to suggestions.

OK, finally got it to seal. Now it sucked it to -20 Hg in a few seconds.

Still don't know what pressure or how long. Can't seem to find an answer online.

OK, best I can tell, I should hold it at -28.9Hg.

So, it is sitting there for now. I will let it sit for an hour os. Then, I am going to try to gather it to see what's there.

I let it sit in the vac overnight. It was much easier to work with today. I used the silicone pad and "patted" it all together into a nice little pile.

I put it in the vac again and it bubbled up real nice although, it's still too black and sticky.

I am beginning to believe that the hot water bath is required. I now have it in the vac and the vac is sitting in a glass bowl of water that is all sitting on a seedling starter heating pad.

The pad is measuring (got a cool new laser thermometer) about 103 degrees but the water is only about 84 so far.

The hot water bath is definitely encouraging more bubbling and I think that's a good thing.

It's not taking on the nice clear amber color I want but it is looking more like shatter every step.

I have been "burping" the vac to expel any contaminants from the vac and then taking the pressure back up to -28.9 Hg. Maybe I should just leave it alone for a while and see if it clears up. Hopefully this heating pad will help.

I'll post some pics later.

After about an hour, all the bubbles have burst and it is a flat black, shiny blob again.

So, I take it out and knead it and flatten it again and put it back in the vac. It bubbles all up, the bubbles burst and I do it over again.

Hope I am not over cooking it but I am still hoping for the shatter. Maybe I did something else wrong along the way.

I just blasted another tube and I'm waiting for that one to evaporate.

Well, I'm still not exactly where I want to be but I am getting a little closer with each step.

Almost all the black is gone, now and it's turning to a nice dark amber color.

HEAT...... gotta have HEAT. LMAO

I vac'd it over and over and for different periods and, although it would get a little bit better, I wasn't going anywhere fast.

The hot water dish helped but, very little. However, I definitely did notice a difference. Keeping hot water is a PITA.

MORE HEAT....

I scrapped the water dish and put the vac chamber right on the seedling heating pad. The pad itself gets about 103. I put a thermometer in the vac chamber so I could monitor the temp inside the chamber.

It was real steady at about 100 degrees. At the -28.9 Hg, I think that's well below the 190 degree temp that the THC evaporates at.

I smoked some and it was an instant rush, which was nice. Still too sticky for me. I can roll it in a ball or a "hot dog" and it's pretty easy to manage but...... still not crispy. LOL

What have we learned this time:

Gotta have heat.

Start with cleaner oil.

Couple tips for next time. I have been using a 100u screen. That's a lot of matter getting through. I ordered 50u screens. That should get some of the gunk out right from the get-go. I'll also try unbleached coffee filters.

I could also try the "winterizing" [is that right] process. Adding Everclear and then doing another evap. I don't really like that idea but, I'll try anything once.

I'll post a pic as soon as I have something that shatters. :)

When I used to make shatter I would purge in boiling water.... you will lose flavor since the terps will boil off.... but if you continually collect all the oil in the middle of the pan and let her go til you get no bubbles it will be shatter when it cools....

Boiling??? Really?

I am not sure what the temperature would be inside the vacuum chamber sitting in 212 degree water but from what I have been reading, that's too hot.

According to the info at SkunkPharm, THC will evaporate (in a vacuum [-29Hg] at sea level) at well under 200 degrees.

Perhaps I am understanding incorrectly....

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/vacuum-purging-and-processing-tips/

Are you saying not to vacuum it 17 times? Or, are you saying not to vacuum at all and you have told me 17 times. LMAO

Vacuum definitely helped. Turned it from black to amber and it doesn't spark any more when I flame it.

Is that just the scrapings from the glass bowl you blast into?

No other processing?

How much pot did it take to get that yield in the picture? And, how many times did you blast it.

Sorry for all the questions but I am going to beat this if it takes my entire stash. LMAO

Thanks

Latest posts

Back