Thinking about getting back into some horticulture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman1

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I have done any growing and am thinking about doing a small one I am looking to convert a basement shower into a grow space and see if I can still remember how to grow some dank I have been doing some research this forum for the last 3 or 4 months and have a good handle on what it's going to take but I am sure that I will need some advice on the finer points of growing The space is 16 sq ft and at 7000 lumens per square foot I need 112,000 lumens for this space I was given some Critical mass seeds Does anyone know how much smell this strain gives off and also I need wattage recommendations for lighting I plan to use soil that has no nutrients in it mixed with perlite thinking of a 50/ 50 in 3 to 5 gallon pots smart pot seem to be a good choice for pots any advice you all would be great and thank you having me at this great forum [emoji3]

Welcome to MP... hit this: :48:

now you need 5000 lumen per sq foot for flower.... so 16 x 5000= 80,000 lumens... most 600w hps put put around 90,000 lumens... so you will need a 600w min for your space... 5 gal pot is pretty big and you may only get 4-6 plants in your space...

What size of would you recommend I figure that a SROG would work for my space

well it all depends how big you want to let them get.... scrog will take awhile to veg so 5 gal would prob be what you need...

tell us more bout your plan and we can get you on path if something your thinking is leading you off... :48:

I am thinking about just 1 to 2 plants and the height of my space is 72" so I figure that if I do low stress training to maximize tops then start the SROG screen at about 30" above the canopy and let plants grow into it and keep everything tucked under it would be the best option for such a small space I haven't bought any equipment yet still in the planning stages of my adventure

I am not sure what nutrients I will be using yet but was thinking about something like 5-5-5

Welcome to MP. Not sure what 5-5-5 nutrients are but they don't sound like a good fit for Cannabis. I use nothing but General Hydroponics Flora Series. It doesn't cost a lot and I have always gotten great results with it. You can get them from Amazon even. Good luck on the grow.

Thanks for the advice hamster I will look into General hydroponics flora series for nutrients

Scrog you should have your screen about 8'' from base of plant.

It is going to take a very long veg to get 1-2 plants large enough in a scrog to fill a 4 x 4 space. Unless you are specifically looking to keep your plant count low, I am thinking that 4 plants would be better. That still give you 4 sq ft for the plants to grow.

Critical mass is an indica dominant strain, so height might not be a concern. In fact, critical mass is known for its large main colas, so lst or scrog may not even really be a good idea for that strain--you might be better off with a shorter veg and more plants.

If you can afford it, I would go with a 1000W dimmable. A 600W is pretty much the minimum light you want in that space, so going with a 1000W would get you to the 7000 lumens per sq ft you want. I find 7000-7500 lumens per sq ft about ideal If heat becomes an issue, the ballast can be turned down to 750W. Ventilation is al,most as important as your lighting. Do you have a plan for that?

Thanks THG for your input For ventilation I plan on using a 400 cfm fan and carbon filter My space will be in a area that is a consistent 65 to 70 degrees So I don't think that heat would be a problem

Ventilation is one of those things that you just need to set up and see how it does. A 400 cfm fan may or may not keep things cool. Intake air of 65-70 is a bit warm to try and cool any light that is a large wattage. I pull cool air from my crawl space year round. The air down there never gets over about 65 and is usually cooler. I run my lights at night and sometimes in the summer, heat can still be a problem.

If you're growing in a shower stall, you're going to find trimming a 4X4 foot scrog difficult. The scrog I grow is the same size, but I've got two feet on all sides but the back to gain access to the underside.
I've grown 12 plants in a R-DWC in my scrog, but I find half as many fill the screen up just about as fast and are infinitely easier to maintain. The yield seems to be equal, too.

I noticed that with using a 600 watt HPS, the biggest buds were directly under the bulb, so half way into flower, I toss in a second one. Mine are digital dimmable, and I usually run them at 75% for a while, then get nuts toward the end and run 'em full bore.

Latest posts

Back