thinking grow tent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widairyfarms

Reaction score
I'm looking for a CHEAP grow tent. I am finding a lot of them with mylar not orca film. I would love a gorilla but money won't let that happen. I can use as much space as possible but only running a 250w mh and a 400w hps what will be best? I don't like to buy things more than once. I'm thinking that a tent is the next step to get a better handle on growing conditions. I also have plans to over winter big plants next year. My other option to buy orca film and frame in my table that I'm currently using. Thoughts? Even my biggest plant is showing some new spots. I will have to kill the foliar program, for now. I also put my best plant under my mh light last night that's when it showed new small brown spots. It was under a Walmart cfl. Heat may have went up a bit so would this have an effect on having spots? My big one is almost to the sexing stage. I'm praying:) . BTW the big one is in the "worst soil according to everyone. A lot is compost(old) not too hot but not much perlite it any. Any opinions are headed usually. I am trying to stick to my gut as I have come to make good decicions. Thanks again guys(and gals).

PLEASE, PLEASE QUIT THE FOLIAR FEEDING! Yes, I am shouting. I have read all your posts and really, everyone has recommended not spraying the plants. I am curious why you are foliar feeding? It really is not the way to feed the plants. IMO, you should only foliar feed if you have a bad deficiency that needs to be dealt with immediately....and even then, foliar feeding would be questionable. This IS the reason that the leaves are developing necrosis. If you keep spraying your plants, you will continue to get brown spots on your leaves. It could eventually kill your plants. Damaged leaves do not recover. Please, if you want to end up with a crop quit spraying your plants with nutrient solution.

I think that your plants are still away from the sexing stage. How old exactly are they? Do you have alternating nodes yet?

I believe that you will find it quite difficult to try and frame in under a table to create a space that will work. It is quite hard to make it light tight and also have access. Ventilation is something that can be hard with a homemade tent. Cheap tents tend to not last or have light leaks, Unfortunately, cheap and good rarely go together. so, you will probably have to decide if you are going to buy a cheap tent now and replace it later OR buy a good tent now and not have to replace it later. Your lighting is good for a tent 32 x 32 or 36 x 36 or 2 x 4. That is all the space that your lights will adequately cover. So, whichever one fits your space best. You are going to need some kind of good exhaust fan with the HID lights. A 400W light would probably be good with a 4" centrifuge type fan.

What do you mean by "overwintering" the plants?

Thank you I just added some leaf worms today and I will stop "feeding" the plants. I think one is done already" dead" and yes my big one is got alternating nodes. they are three/ four weeks along the big one is six inches tall. And the stem is starting to grow bark on the stem. Its slowly wrapping around it. The planter is raised right now so when it gets taller I can just lover the planter. And one other thing, would you use homemade compost tea to water or just water?

Oh yeah and how long till I should start pointing CFLs at the side of the canopy?

What are leaf worms? And why did you add them?

Small red worms much smaller than a nightcrawler. Here is wisco they're called Tennessee red worms we use em for pan fishing. That's where your local worm castings come from. If I were outdoors it would be night crawlers.

Most places they are called red wigglers. I would not add red worms to my soil. If you want to raise worms you should do it in a worm bin. They are not going to be beneficial used this way. Likewise adding earthworms to pots outside is not beneficial either.

A plant that is only 3-4 weeks old and only 6" tall is most likely not going to have alternating nodes unless it is an auto or a clone. In my 30+ years of growing, I have never seen one show that early. Can we get a pic of the nodes?

So, no more foliar feeding....at all...anytime...unless you have a BAD deficiency? Your plants will thank you for this.

Yes mom.
You know I'm giving you a hard time. Your help is soo appreciated. I try not to be too annoying but I ask a lot of questions so again I can contribute and not be so new plus I thirst for as much knowledge as I can get so when I speak to people in person about other things I am in the know rather than, I just plant and they grew(duh). An interesting thing. When I moved those plants the one that got put under the cfl that the big one was under is a magic light Cuz that one is springing forth now as well. Do I need to worry about the flies even though they don't pay any attention to the plants?

View attachment 1412875230359.jpg

LOL--you are not the only one who calls me Mom...although some of you are young enough that you should probably be calling me Grandma.

Yes, I would worry about the flies as the larva can eat the roots of the plants. Diatomaceous earth is easy to use and readily available. Pick some up and put a layer of it on top of the soil. You also need to water from the bottom.

No alternating nodes on that plant yet. I usually doesn't happen until the plant gets 6-8 weeks old. Alternating nodes is when the branches do not grow our directly opposite of another--you get a branch on one side and then there is some stem and the branch on the other side of the plant grows. In other words, rather than being directly opposite each other, the branches are staggered.

Be careful who you talk to about growing. Loose lips is the number 1 cause of people being busted. This is why I like the forums. We are free to post anonymously with no danger.

Small plants can be kept quite happy with not too much light. However as they get larger, they are going to demand bigger and better lighting. You want the spacing between the branches to be quite close (called internode spacing).

No problem with asking a lot of questions--that is how we learn. One of the things that makes forums so much nicer than books is being able to ask specific questions aimed at YOUR grow. Plus I have a special place in my heart for WI dairy farmers. I lived with someone for many years who grew up on a WI dairy farm and we visited his parents place several times over the years (I live in the west). He passed away in 2007...but boy we put out some wonderful bud in the time we were together.

Latest posts

Back