this is what NC gov wants..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papabeach1

Reaction score
North Carolina

Marijuana Defendants Receive Tax Bill From State for Plants

Associated Press
September 5, 2008
The Sun News

ASHEVILLE, N.C. — The state of North Carolina has sent an $88,866 tax bill to two people charged with marijuana offenses after Buncombe County authorities seized 114 plants this summer.
Darwin Bisping, 32, a pizza delivery driver, was charged with manufacturing marijuana and trafficking in July after the plants were found at his Asheville home. Housemate Jennifer McCart, 30, also was charged and received a separate tax bill.
Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan said officials notify state revenue agents when a drug arrest is made because state law allows taxation of illegal drugs, The Asheville Citizen-Times reported Thursday.
Bisping said he needs marijuana for medical reasons and he doesn't think it is right to be taxed on "something you can't even legally grow."
Officials said the tax bill is a civil matter that isn't part of the criminal case. The legislature in 1998 said taxing someone for an illegal substance doesn't amount to punishing the person twice, said George Valsame, assistant director of the revenue department's unauthorized substance tax division.
The state law specifically says more than 42.5 grams of marijuana can be taxed at $3.50 per gram.
Bisping and McCart each were taxed on 18,053 grams of marijuana and also were charged $25,274 in penalties and $406 in interest.
Bisping said he uses the drug to calm nerve problems and to help him swallow food after esophagus surgery. He also disputes the weight of the marijuana that was seized.
"This ain't about justice, this is about money," he said.
Valsame said the tax is the state's way of getting revenue, but admits it is hard to keep up with the fluctuating price of drugs.
He said 75 percent of the tax goes to the agency that seized the drug and the rest goes into the state's general fund. The penalties support schools.
Valsame said a drug dealer can pay the fees anonymously and not be penalized if arrested on criminal charges. The division has stamps showing the amount paid that are supposed to be attached to the drugs.
"In the entire history of the program, I think all of the stamps we have sold as far as we know have gone to stamp collectors," he said. "We don't have drug dealers coming and buying these stamps."

how about this one ??

North Carolina still arrests medical marijuana patients

Can you believe that in this day and age -- in 2005 -- North Carolina state law still treats medical marijuana patients as common criminals? The legislative session is now under way, which gives you the chance to help right this injustice.

Please click here and tell your legislators that you care about medical marijuana patients and that medical decisions should be made by patients and doctors, not police and prosecutors, and ask your senator and representative to sponsor legislation that would protect medical marijuana patients from arrest and criminal penalties.

After you choose your favorite pre-written letter and type in your address, our site will automatically e-mail your letter to your legislators … all with the click of a few buttons. The whole process takes less than two minutes, but it makes a world of difference. Also, you can print the letters and send them to your legislators through regular mail.

Or, if you prefer to call your legislators, you can click here to find their names and numbers. Click here to get talking points, or here to get more background information on medical marijuana.

State legislators truly do listen to their constituents. According to former U.S. Congressman Billy Evans (D-GA), "Legislators estimate that 10 letters from constituents represent the concerns of 10,000 citizens. Anybody who will take the time to write is voicing the fears and desires of thousands more."

With your help, North Carolina could become the 11th state to recognize that sick people shouldn't have to be criminals for reducing their suffering with medical marijuana. Please, Take Action now.

Thank you for supporting the Marijuana Policy Project. Please pass this on so that even more North Carolinians can participate in reform.

Get Local
US Map

MPP tracks marijuana policy in all 50 states and at the federal level.
Member Center

-- in 2005 --..........The legislative session is now under way,

I'd bet that "legislative session" is over.. :p

papabeach1 said:
Valsame said a drug dealer can pay the fees anonymously and not be penalized if arrested on criminal charges. The division has stamps showing the amount paid that are supposed to be attached to the drugs.
"

I wanna buy some of those stamps!! :dancing:

papabeach1 said:
"In the entire history of the program, I think all of the stamps we have sold as far as we know have gone to stamp collectors," he said. "We don't have drug dealers coming and buying these stamps."

You think??? :rofl:

3.50 a gram.....

lets see, If I am correct there is what.. like 28 grams to an ounce... So the state is charging 98 bucks for and ounce in tax... WOW!!!!! What a deal...

Govenment makes me sick anymore heh.

That's just about crazy... Its probably modeled after a law in Arizonia, or maybe New Mexico, back in the 1920's. It was for a tax stamp you could apply for to posses any amount of MJ legaly. If you did not have one, possesion was illegal. Now if you applied for a tax stamp, you had to have the said MJ in your possesion at the tax office. And you would be arrested in the office, for possesion while applying. The orginal catch22.

look fellows....

I know about these stamps...

DEA can come to my home and confiscate it any way.. and charge it anyway..

all its about is get my money back in my tax return.. nothing gain.. nothing earn... sux huh?

did asked my mom about it.. my mom said NO..... forget them..

kubefuism said:
That's just about crazy... Its probably modeled after a law in Arizonia, or maybe New Mexico, back in the 1920's. It was for a tax stamp you could apply for to posses any amount of MJ legaly. If you did not have one, possesion was illegal. Now if you applied for a tax stamp, you had to have the said MJ in your possesion at the tax office. And you would be arrested in the office, for possesion while applying. The orginal catch22.

It was all about the constutionality of making mj illegal. It was modeled after guns laws for possessing fully automatic weapons. Back in the 20's, many criminals were arming themselves with fully automatic weapons. Since the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected, they made a law that you had to have a stamp for full autos. That way it's not in violation of constitution. Harry Anslinger did the same thing with mj, so as to not deal with the constitutionality. Then they never issued any stamps. It was all about racism then. It all about discrimination NOW

umbra said:
It was all about the constutionality of making mj illegal. It was modeled after guns laws for possessing fully automatic weapons. Back in the 20's, many criminals were arming themselves with fully automatic weapons. Since the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected, they made a law that you had to have a stamp for full autos. That way it's not in violation of constitution. Harry Anslinger did the same thing with mj, so as to not deal with the constitutionality. Then they never issued any stamps. It was all about racism then. It all about discrimination NOW

hee hee you watch nat geo too :p

Latest posts

Back