This will be my next new car...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Music
Reaction score
http://www.cnet.com/news/what-happens-when-a-35000-tesla-arrives/

What happens when a $35,000 Tesla arrives?

Tesla revealed this week that its more pedestrian vehicle will be called the Model 3. That is expected to retail for about $35,000. We asked an expert about the prospects of a "cheap" Tesla.

What happens when a much more affordable Tesla arrives? An expert offered his thoughts to CNET.

Tesla said this week that its $35,000 entry, due in 2017 (or thereabouts), will be called the Model 3. One of the keys to making a cheaper Tesla is battery technology, as CEO Elon Musk pointed out to Auto Express earlier in the week.

I chatted with John Voelcker, senior editor for High Gear Media, which publishes Green Car Reports, in the wake of the news. He offered insight into what impact a lower-priced Tesla might have.

Q: Tesla has sold very pricey cars to date. How might a $35,000 Model 3 shake things up?

John Voelcker: A list price of $35,000 is a very nice place to be as compared to the current Model S, which is selling well for its category, but this is a category that starts at $70,000 and goes up to six figures. So, if Tesla can in fact introduce the Model 3, as it's now called, at a base price of $35,000 with a 200-mile electric range, that will take them into a whole new order of magnitude of volume.

Why can't they do that today?

Voelcker: Lithium ion battery costs need to come down (as one salient reason), both through advances in technology and higher volumes. They made the Roadster, which was a two-seat performance car. They made 2,500 of those. They've made more than 50,000 of their Model S sedans. Once you get into volume manufacturing, like the Model 3 that Musk described, then you're talking not about tens of thousands of cars per year but, ideally, hundreds of thousands of cars per year. That battery production capacity doesn't exist. That's where the gigafactory comes in. Musk said we can't do the Model 3 unless we have that factory.

RELATED STORIES

Tesla gets sporty with new electric car, the Model 3
What do you attribute the American public's fascination with the Tesla to? This could trigger a sales surge, correct? It seems to me that a lot of people are waiting on the sidelines for a more affordable Tesla.
Voelcker: Tesla has had an ability to market itself without actually paying for much marketing and attract tens of thousands of devoted followers. It has grabbed the imagination of the technology-following public and the car-buying public in a way that I don't think [has] very many other parallels. If the company can deliver a stylish design with a 200-mile range or greater and can use the existing supercharger network of recharging sites all over the country -- and the world -- at a price of $35,000, I suspect there are a large number of people who will line up to buy one.

That said, Tesla may not be as alone offering such a car as they have been. [Others] could produce a car as good and as stylish. By the time the Model 3 begins to be delivered to customers you will have vehicles with similar specifications both from Nissan -- which has sold more electric cars than anyone else in the world -- and GM, who has a 200-mile electric car [in the works].

The fact the Tesla even exists is a bit a of miracle, don't you think?
Voelcker: When's the last time a group of entrepreneurs started a car company from the ground up, whose brand is still with us today? The answer to that question: 1924.

My niece just drove on last week and she said it gets up and goes. She loved it. It will be her next car too. Awesomeness!

Well now, if I win the lottery.......$35,000 still seems to me to be a huge amount of money for a car. My first house was about 33% less than that.

But speaking of Tesla, the man himself....I wonder where we would be with energy/battery technology if he had not been cheated and bullied by people like Edison and JP Morgan. This is a little tidbit from a book I read about his life (paraphrased):

Pierce-Arrow commissioned Tesla to build an electric motor to power a car. The motor was 40" x 30" and produced 80 HP. Under the hood was the engine, a small 12 volt storage battery and 2 wires that went from the motor to the dashboard. These were connected to a black box he had built the week before from components he purchased from a radio shop. He let no one inspect the box, just said that it taps into a "mysterious radiation which comes out of the aether and is available in limitless quantities". This device was used to rigorously test the car for 8 days. The car reached speeds of 90 MPH. After charges of "black magic" and other sinister things, Tesla took his mysterious black box that pulled energy from some undisclosed place and left in disgust and never spoke of it again.

Nikola Tesla (the man) was the man.
it bothers me so much how much Tesla gave to this world, yet we learn about the grandness of that hack Edison in school instead.. i never even heard of Tesla. had to discover this amazing man by myself.. maybe if he was greedy, more would know his name.
sorry OT, just can't help but praise the man when his names pops up, he doesn't get it enough ;)

as for the cars, they're pretty sweet too. glad to hear of more models coming.
i still can't help but wonder where we'd be if they didn't kill the electric car (good documentary ;)) though.
funny how it takes a group of entrepreneurs to show an electric car doesn't have to look bloody ridiculous. (always knew they could, but the big companies never wanted them to succeed.)

Yes Tesla got screwed hard. The dude was a straight up genius. I also loved that documentary on who killed the electric car. Made me mad as hell but it is a great movie. Maybe some day enough people will wake the hell up and we can get off the gas and coal tests.

Nikola Tesla (the man) was the man.
it bothers me so much how much Tesla gave to this world, yet we learn about the grandness of that hack Edison in school instead.. i never even heard of Tesla. had to discover this amazing man by myself.. maybe if he was greedy, more would know his name.
sorry OT, just can't help but praise the man when his names pops up, he doesn't get it enough ;)

as for the cars, they're pretty sweet too. glad to hear of more models coming.
i still can't help but wonder where we'd be if they didn't kill the electric car (good documentary ;)) though.
funny how it takes a group of entrepreneurs to show an electric car doesn't have to look bloody ridiculous. (always knew they could, but the big companies never wanted them to succeed.)

Well, I was the one who started this off-topic, but I feel like you do kaotik about Tesla. And I also had never heard of the man in school. But he was actually the one who came up with alternating current making it possible to carry current long distances. Edison initially pooh-pa'd the idea of alternating current and he cheated Tesla after he had promised him a huge bonus for a job Edison actually believed impossible. I was appalled when I read about how Edison had cheated and bullied him. I hope that Edison, JP Morgan and people like them have a special seat in hell waiting for them. They both really showed that all they care about is money. If it didn't jingle, Morgan wasn't interested. I'll stop now because I could simply go on and on my outrage is so great.......

As the OP of this thread feel free to post away. Being a huge fan of Science I can never learn enough about it and the people who make things possible. It's a shame that the truth is not taught in schools. I won't even get into History.

Tesla took many great ideas to his grave, the amount of ridicule and crap he took was just too much, and really sad. Competition kills science, collaboration unlocks the greatest secrets

I spent some time working in the test shop at the fremont factory and I can tell you guys its the fastest accelerating car I have ever driven. Interior quality is meh, body is 100% aluminum, 90% of the car is manufactured onsite in a low waste facility. Drives like its on rails and can punch through a cinder block wall at over 70mph with a person inside who will walk away.

Tesla sold the powertrain/battery technology to both mercedez and toyota. the rav 4 ev has a tesla motor and battery and the mercedez small crossover ev isnt on us markets (shocker).

Elon Musk is a rad guy, very nice and humble to talk to. In the board room however its HULK SMASH. Ive seen that guy fire the head of design without a second thought.

Building a car from the ground up is an incredible feat. Turning it into a financial solvent company, the first in 100 years is monumental.

The tesla is the best car on the road, and the only car that is 100% american. The only other car company to come close to the ethics of tesla is subaru.

Latest posts

Back