Thought this was PH, but....may need to sterilize? Pro mix query.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Will up load pics momentarily. Started snowcain, Hindu Kush, goat and monkey ultimate OG, white widow. Some of them were new sprouts, week old or so got into the 50s during a very cold snap. While it seemed to stunt them a touch but I carried on.

Dirt and nutes as always, Ocean Forest and Advanced nutrients nutes, but not yet until flower. Did use carbo load and bud candy along with beneficials, Pirana, tarantula and voodoo juice, calmag as I always do.

Leaves started to yellow and get spots, like a typical PH issue. Bought new PH pen, Blue Labs. Nope, pretty much same readings.

Started a new bunch of seeds, let the yellowing ones to their own tent, new ones in different tent. Payed closer attention to new/non yellowing plants, which seem somewhat lush, but not the same growth rate as normal, especially the snowcaine. Moreover, they are having claw shaped leaves, just not right at all. Checked wet/dry cycle, turned off extra fans, careful eye on PH.

Virus? Thinking I should sterilize tent? If so, what should be the best to sterilize with? 90% Alcohol? Going to hatch more, have twenty20 Mendocino "smell of success" to start and I would like to resolve this first.

Don't want to change too many things at once, but tried most known tricks. Thinking maybe it's the dirt, although worked always before, dirt all came from bags of O.F.

Want to try pro mix, so bought the Advanced nutrients veg products to compliment flower nutes. I assume this is like hydro and PH for nutes at 5.8 or so?

Another question, I see many here use peroxide solution to sterilize seeds, what is procedure here? Very hesitant to pop more seeds without resolution.

First time for this mess, bubba's not happy! Pictures on way in a quick.

Oh, nutes @ 6.3 ph.

Bubba

Will up load pics momentarily. Started snowcain, Hindu Kush, goat and monkey ultimate OG, white widow. Some of them were new sprouts, week old or so got into the 50s during a very cold snap. While it seemed to stunt them a touch but I carried on.

Dirt and nutes as always, Ocean Forest and Advanced nutrients nutes, but not yet until flower. Did use carbo load and bud candy along with beneficials, Pirana, tarantula and voodoo juice, calmag as I always do.

Leaves started to yellow and get spots, like a typical PH issue. Bought new PH pen, Blue Labs. Nope, pretty much same readings.

Started a new bunch of seeds, let the yellowing ones to their own tent, new ones in different tent. Payed closer attention to new/non yellowing plants, which seem somewhat lush, but not the same growth rate as normal, especially the snowcaine. Moreover, they are having claw shaped leaves, just not right at all. Checked wet/dry cycle, turned off extra fans, careful eye on PH.

Virus? Thinking I should sterilize tent? If so, what should be the best to sterilize with? 90% Alcohol? Going to hatch more, have twenty20 Mendocino "smell of success" to start and I would like to resolve this first.

Don't want to change too many things at once, but tried most known tricks. Thinking maybe it's the dirt, although worked always before, dirt all came from bags of O.F.

Want to try pro mix, so bought the Advanced nutrients veg products to compliment flower nutes. I assume this is like hydro and PH for nutes at 5.8 or so?

Another question, I see many here use peroxide solution to sterilize seeds, what is procedure here? Very hesitant to pop more seeds without resolution.

First time for this mess, bubba's not happy! Pictures on way in a quick.

Oh, nutes @ 6.3 ph.

Bubba
Have you checked the run off pH? Also, AN Perfect pH is supposed to keep pH in range. Could the pH adjustment be causing the problem?

Have you checked the run off pH? Also, AN Perfect pH is supposed to keep pH in range. Could the pH adjustment be causing the problem?
Works great, the buffering that is, @ about 5.8. Nice for hydro, and somewhere here I had comments on trying it on soil. Some strains, i.e. last run of snocaine that it worked fine. Later with other strains, I started having low pH symptoms which corrected with a little pH up.

Another odd thing, these are different strains. Some are doing it some are not. The isolation tent of stunted light green are mostly snocaine, but also a goat and monkey Ultimate OG as well as a Hindu Kush. They were all clawed. Now, the isolation tent while still stunted and yellowish, flattened out.

The "good" tent (still has one yellowing motor breath 15, thought it was going to pull through)

Last thought is, dirt way too hot for whatever reason, or oddly off on ph. Never had that happen before, use it constantly.
I don't put much weight in run off ph, but not owning a meter to measure soil pH, I will measure run off. The hit and miss with different strains is a bit perplexing. Too late for the light green ones, might flip to 12/12 and let it run for a while. Or, self destruct the whole mess, sterilize the **** out of everything, try again.

If run off measures bad, I will flush with adjusted pH water, one gallon of OR water per gallon of dirt.

Also, to grow store for promix. Think I will put a couple in that and try to eliminate, or incriminate the OF soil. Always have had great luck.

Couple last thoughts, I noticed that stopping cal mag seems to help, so something's off. Everything is just like many times before.

The other thing was when I put them in cups, I saw a white fly in the room so I sprayed a small couple squirts of Pyganic, not sure if they ALL got that, don't think I have previously sprayed at the Dixie cup stage, maybe that.

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_135438081.jpg
    IMG_20230204_135438081.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230204_135519405.jpg
    IMG_20230204_135519405.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
it sure looks as if your plants are deficient in more than one nutrient...chlorotic veins in the leaves usually indicate a lack of nitrogen...just a thought...

Last thought is, dirt way too hot for whatever reason, or oddly off on ph.
I think a lot of companies are not keeping up with quality control. Seems like a few people on here have had insect problems with dirt they swore by in the past. My brother is having a problem with his water coming from the municipal treatment facility. Equity hires are not merit hires. You are not a new grower so I am sure you have your routines that have worked for a long time. Maybe Pro Mix will fix you up.

it sure looks as if your plants are deficient in more than one nutrient...chlorotic veins in the leaves usually indicate a lack of nitrogen...just a thought...
I am really suspecting the dirt, something is off. I'm using Ocean Forest, which has always gotten them through veg. nute wise.

Those pitiful yellow snocaine plants is crazy. Last run, with seeds from same batch they grew like crazy, almost faster than anything I can remember. Super lush green with leaves stretching up. The other tent, they are too slow compared to before, and clawing instead of leaf points reaching up.

I think I will trash the yellow tent, no good yield is coming from that. If the green but clawed tent seems better, my go 12/12 when a little bigger and see what happens.

Pirana, tarantula and voodoo juice.....Woah....that s-hit is expensive. I use beneficial tea instead. Love AN but I draw the line on those beneficials. Good luck. Good strains.
I think we are using the same base nutes, AN connoisseur if I recall. With promix, what do you do PH wise, adjust them, if so where? 5.8 like most hydro, or do you adjust them with up/down? Or just go with the nutes buffered results, which I find is 5.8ish with RO water.

Thanks!

Bubba

Off to score pro mix. Going to trash the light green tent. Cram what's left in big tent and if next week or 2 go well, switch to flower. Sterilize tents and restart with promix, just need to pick putes brain a little

Little unsettling to have your tried and true not work. This method was fool proof

Bubba

Yup connoisseur. My pH has a tendency to climb throughout the growing cycle. So I feed in water pH at about 5.2. I have heard although I don't know that the pH coming out makes no difference. However I like it around 6.2. And and I use RO water as well. The main thing I'm looking for is healthy plants throughout the cycle.

No matter what strain I grow or how long I run it my plants stay green and lush until I want them to fade. Now if I could just perfect cloning. I like the way Boo puts it.... I'm like a squirrel looking for nuts every once in awhile I find one. I have been working with GMO as he says he gets 100% 100% of the time. I don't get anywhere near that. I won't give up though all trial and error and patience.

Run off from the yellowed plants is 6.7 which doesn't strike me off, the water going in was phed to 6.4

Mystery continues, feel like I am wasting seeds.

My grow store now has both seeds and clones.

Bubba

Last edited:
Yup connoisseur. My pH has a tendency to climb throughout the growing cycle. So I feed in water pH at about 5.2. I have heard although I don't know that the pH coming out makes no difference. However I like it around 6.2. And and I use RO water as well. The main thing I'm looking for is healthy plants throughout the cycle.
That 5.2 water is with nutes in only, no adjusting, or you mean you start with water phed to 5.2, and then add nutes? I assume that's 5.2 nute water?

Thanks,

Bubba

bummer man , nute lockout

hopefully the ProMix will do ya good

bummer man , nute lockout

hopefully the ProMix will do ya good
That's all I can figure. Damned if I know why. Ph measures fine. Obviously something's off. One group shows nute toxicity, nitrogen, the other group is starved. Some are same strain and all have same soil.

If nothing else, I think consistency will be better with promix. I always take successful grows as a given. Now a curve ball. It happens.

Bubba

No matter what strain I grow or how long I run it my plants stay green and lush until I want them to fade. Now if I could just perfect cloning. I like the way Boo puts it.... I'm like a squirrel looking for nuts every once in awhile I find one. I have been working with GMO as he says he gets 100% 100% of the time. I don't get anywhere near that. I won't give up though all trial and error and patience.
Rereading your post, I think I misunderstood.
Sounds like you like nute water to be 6.2, but it climbs so the 5.2 lowers it? Sounds like you are using some kind of drip system?

Bubba

the beauty of ProMix is there are zero nutes

if you can , get the HP with mycorrhiza , you will love it

E79347CF-883C-40F9-A8A5-ED6CCC6B037A.jpeg

Run off from the yellowed plants is 6.7 which doesn't strike me off, the water going in was 4o phed to 6.4

Mystery continues, feel like I am wasting seeds.

My grow store now has both seeds and clones.

Bubba
Sometimes my run off gets over 7.0. been that way for years The plants never blink or fade at all. So if they're happy I'm happy.
Rereading your post, I think I misunderstood.
Sounds like you like nute water to be 6.2, but it climbs so the 5.2 lowers it? Sounds like you are using some kind of drip system?

Bubba
No, I drench. I get abou15% runoff. And yes adjusting the pH lower will obviously lower your runoff. Again, some say pH at runoff makes no difference...I go by what makes my plants happy.

Latest posts

Back