Time to flip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llamaman

Reaction score
I'm pretty proud of my project so far. This is my first indoor grow and needless to say I've been learning a lot! I've struggled getting my lights right, my ventilation working enough, temps stabalized, learning to use nutes, etc. I'm to the point where my greatest new concern is odor control. The air freshener and $20 WalMart air purifier just aren't cutting it. I'm ordering a can filter tonight and some stuff called Ona Gel to neutralize the odors for my next phase. Which brings me to my question... I've been vegging for around six weeks and my plants are ~15" tall. I've got 10 in my cabinet, 5 Northern Lights and 5 Super Skunk. They are in 1gallon growbags. I'm probably going to ditch the 2 runts and keep 8 to sex and hopefully end up with 4-6. I'll put those in 3 gallon bags. My question is- I still don't see alternating nodes on the main stem, and the plants are well into their 7th node. Today I did notice that the side branches are starting to alternate though. Does that mean it's time to switch to 12/12? Should I wait for all 10 plants to show alternating, or is a majority of plants indicative of the time to switch? How long after I switch should sex be easy to see? Where on the plant do I look first, towards the top or bottom?
Thanks for any advice.
This forum is the BEST!
the llama

Obviously all plants will mature in different amount of times. The most important thing is how large do you want those plants to get. Lets say you only had 15 inches of vertical grow space available. You would want to start the 12/12 cycle when the plants were anywhere from 6-7 inches tall. Plants will double in height most times when put into flower... Sometimes triple even. So keep that in mind. If only some of your plants are showing alt nodes the rest aren't too far behind I bet. If you flowered now the other plants that do not have alt nodes now will have them show during flowering I bet.

I wouldn't ditch the runt until you know how many males and females you have... What if that runt was going to be the only female out of the whole batch? So just a different plan of attack for you on that one if you want ;)

llamaman said:
I'm pretty proud of my project so far. This is my first indoor grow and needless to say I've been learning a lot! I've struggled getting my lights right, my ventilation working enough, temps stabalized, learning to use nutes, etc. I'm to the point where my greatest new concern is odor control. The air freshener and $20 WalMart air purifier just aren't cutting it. I'm ordering a can filter tonight and some stuff called Ona Gel to neutralize the odors for my next phase. Which brings me to my question... I've been vegging for around six weeks and my plants are ~15" tall. I've got 10 in my cabinet, 5 Northern Lights and 5 Super Skunk. They are in 1gallon growbags. I'm probably going to ditch the 2 runts and keep 8 to sex and hopefully end up with 4-6. I'll put those in 3 gallon bags. My question is- I still don't see alternating nodes on the main stem, and the plants are well into their 7th node. Today I did notice that the side branches are starting to alternate though. Does that mean it's time to switch to 12/12? Should I wait for all 10 plants to show alternating, or is a majority of plants indicative of the time to switch? How long after I switch should sex be easy to see? Where on the plant do I look first, towards the top or bottom?
Thanks for any advice.
This forum is the BEST!
the llama
If you are seeing alternating nodes then yes you can put them into flower. I would say between 1 and 2 weeks you should be able to tell sex after putting them into flower. You wanna look about 4 or 5 nodes up from the bottom of the plant.

Hey thanks TBG, DL, and OC, I appreciate the responces. I'll leave the lights on today, then tonight turn them off. Tomorrow I'll switch to the HPS bulb, raise the lights, and watch em grow.
Best wishes,
the Llama

Latest posts

Back