Timing, measurements, details

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussum

Reaction score
So my fiance and I are going to start a few seedlings and test the water to see how we do. We have a storage room that is in the basement secluded from the rest of the house where we keep the furnace. It has a work bench and all the hook ups to mount, hang, and adjust our light source. My question is.

I have read and read and read. I have gotten a lot of very useful information, but I have yet to find any real exact measurements and what not from people that have actually used the guides provided. If I missed something that explains the answer to my question let me know. What I would like to know is where can I go to find out measurements as far as how much dirt should I put in my pot (I was going to use a four inch deep pot to start), how much water should I use on the plants, how many times a day should they be watered, when can I switch from 24hr a day lighting to 12/12? Things of this nature are what I am interested in. I am going to build my lighting source today and mount it above the work bench. When that is done I would like to have a maintenance schedual wrote up, but since this is my virgin run I am not really sure of what to do after I let them soak until the root starts to show. Pretty much I am going to use the guides as a base to start and adjust from there, but I really want to hear some tips/feedback from you more experienced growers on what I should pay strict attention to in the guides and where I have a few options and liberties.

Any help at all, no matter how slight it is, will be very appreciated. I am eager to learn as much as I can on this.

Thank you all in advance!

If gardening was that easy as to just set certain amounts... everyone would be doing it. Nothing is really SET as far as it all goes.. most newer growers should try to water less then they should... as not to overwater... which is extremely common... you'll have as much dirt as you want height... a gallon of dirt per foot high of easy growth is used most commonly.
You will switch your lights back to 12/12 when u want to start flowering, or when you are just under half the height of ur maximum growth height u have, or when you see alternating nodes.

Alternating nodes are not an absolute in my experience. For instance, if one has the lighting set so that the sex begins to show, then one will get alternating nodes<<but then the lights can be changed (made to shine for longer periods of time) and the nodes will go back to their veg pattern.

Also I have grown many plants that do not double in heighth once budding begins. I imagine it varies depending on what lighting one is using if others have experienced the doubling that the above poster speaks of. and it may depend on strain but, like i said, I have yet to experience that phenomena.

and I agree that much leeway is available and that a personal feel can exist. like the above poster declares.

but,

I'd be happy to give you some measurements that have worked for me:

What I would like to know is where can I go to find out measurements as far as how much dirt should I put in my pot (I was going to use a four inch deep pot to start)

I like to use six inch pots; 6" x 6" actually. They max out in 3 1/2 weeks although you can bring a plant to maturity in them.

Fill the pot all the way except leave enough room for the water you expect to be using. I like to pour one inch of water at a time. So that means for my six inch pot I will ultimately have five inches of soil medium in there.

After filling the pot with soil I drop the whole thing from a heighth of two inches or so and this helps tamp it a bit without actually having to put pressure on the soil it's self.

and then I water it good with plain water so that it is all settled in and no shifting will occur when we water it with the plant in there. after tamping you may need to put in an additional handful or two of dirt to bring it up to the level you want.

If you are trying to figure out how much soil and amendments to buy so that you will have enough to fill your pots, then you can try this conversion calculator:

http://www.compsoil.com/WHAT%20IS%20COMPSOIL.htm#How_much_will_I_need__

how much water should I use on the plants, how many times a day should they be watered

There are many schools of thought..and here is mine~ I use one inch of water at a time. That means enough water so that the entire surface of the soil would be covered one inch deep in fert water. And I do that at least twice each time I water. My plants love this because I have very porous soil. <<<I cannot stress this enough...amendments are very important and That inch of water should drain down into the soil in less than a minute.

For babies I will water a bit different because they are barely able to stand and an inch of water can loosen all the root that they have and they may fall over. I water them slowly with a device which allows me to pour it on a tiny bit at a time. I like to use a turkey baster sometimes. And I may water around them>>I mean that if it is a seed or a small baby, then I put the water out far enough so that it does not stand a chance of dislodging our sweetheart and at the same time the water must be close enough so that it seeps over and saturates the area where our sweetheart is.

and actually, I do not water seeds anymore, I used to but I have a better method now>>here is what I do>>I plant it after it has germinated, making sure to point the root end down and making sure to only (barely) firm the soil around it<<not the soil over it. I use little tools like a mini screwdriver or knife to help because it helps with this delicate work. After planting, I cover with a small piece of clear plastic (maybe as large as the pot or at least 4" x 4") and I put it on there very loose and I cover all the edges of the plastic with dirt so that no moisture escapes. There is plenty of moisture in there because I have watered the pot before doing this. So, then I put the light on it and when the little guy shows green, I take off the plastic<<be careful that you don't miss it, because it is a little difficult to see and besides that, sometimes the plastic can get fogged up and then it is Very difficult to see; but it should occur in 3 days or so. and care is needed when taking the plastic off too because the dirt on the edges of the plastic can slide onto our baby and squish/bend/misplace it. I usually brush the dirt from three sides of the plastic before raising it; I have gently used a small paintbrush and it works well.

so here is a schedule:

plants 1"-4" tall~ water 3x a day till soil is saturated
plants 4"-8" tall~ water 2x a day, two soakings each time
plants 8"-12" tall~ water once a day, two soakings each time
plants 12" and up~ water at least every other day

If you experiment, you will easily be able to see a difference between the ones that get enough fert water and the ones that don't<<there will be growth or there will not be. Herb plants should grow about an inch or more a day.

when can I switch from 24hr a day lighting to 12/12?

I like to let plants have darkness. I know that not all people do but I figger everyone needs rest. They also switch respiration at night and there may be value in that. I am experimenting with this but I have had success with 18 on.

Switching to 12 is one of the more variable situations you will encounter. I agree with the guy above when he said it can depend on the room that you have although I have never seen a plant double in heighth during budding. I think your decision may depend a bit on the light that you are using and the pot size and also how long you are willing to wait for bud.

light~ the plant will only grow bud on the branches/nodes that the light reaches. There is some value in letting the plant get big so that the cola and upper branches will give phat(ter) buds but there is a point when that yield will be maximized and that point will vary according to what kind of light you are using and pot size.

pot size~ The plant can only get so big if it's pot is only so big. So do not wait past the point when the pot is maxed out. And some people have had great success with adding a larger pot just as the budding starts. Active root growth during budding is highly valued now. and they have been experimenting with cutting off the bottom of medium pots and placing the pot atop the surface of the soil that fills a larger pot.

here is a basic plan that will yield well:
a 2 1/2 gallon pot and a 2' - 2' 1/2" tall plant is good to bud out

after I let them soak until the root starts to show

I have heard of people soaking but doing so for more than 24 hours is a danger I believe. They grow mold and need rinsing; they drown and it could be hard to keep warm (NOT hot). On the other hand, moist washcloths placed in a container which keeps them moist is a great medium. And if you put that whole thing on a TV then it should sprout in 24-36 hours. Some computers/DVD players are too hot and will fry your seeds. If they do not sprout in 36 hours, remove them from the heat because it is probably too hot and those seeds will probably still sprout.

A plastic bag works for this, so can a plate with an upsidedown plate on it. You could do a test run if you have few seeds. Construct your mini greenhouse with washcloth and let it sit for two to three days and see if it all stays moist.

Unheated seeds will take 7-10 days to sprout.

Alternating nodes in no way are determined by light schedule. 24/0 lighting will show alternating nodes just like flowering lighting.

"Alternate nodes" are a sign of maturity. Flowering prior to 'sexual maturity" tends to result in lesser yeilds and in lower potency.

plants 1"-4" tall~ water 3x a day till soil is saturated
plants 4"-8" tall~ water 2x a day, two soakings each time
plants 8"-12" tall~ water once a day, two soakings each time
plants 12" and up~ water at least every other day

WoW!!!...I have "never" heard of such a schedule....watering 3 times per day??..sounds like "ebb 'n flow" to me..;)

I'm of the school that the majority seem to subscribe to...
"Water when they need it"...mj prefers drought between waterings

ebb and flow works;) and the schedule I recommended Does depend on having quite porous soil

"alternating nodes" in the sense I understood it to be meant here (and in other herb convos) is when the plant grows one branch at a time rather than the two branches that are customary while in veg state

one branch at a time is customary for the budding growth period and as such is most definately affected by the length of the day's light

Cakes said:
one branch at a time is customary for the budding growth period and as such is most definately affected by the length of the day's light

Vegging and flowering will achieve the same.

First off thank you guys for your detailed and immediate responses. It is good to get some advice from the more experienced on such a delicate subject as this. I have gathered my supplies for room prep. I bought a new fan, though since I own my house and we rarely have company over the smell shouldn't be a huge factor, a shop vacuum to clean the growing area throughly, and a three gallon jug of killz paint. This paint is dull and it is a solid base coat paint. On top of that it takes whatever mildew, dirt, and all around nastiness that is on the wall and . . . killz it. This week I will be going to wallmart to pick up the lighting supplies. I came across that thirty dollar build someone posted and I think I will start with that. Right now all I have is a standard flouro light and I know that isn't going to do ****. To start it off I will paint the surrounding walls and the table I am going to do the growing on white with the killz. I will let that sit and completely dry for a week. Once that is done I will be going in and ensuring that the temp in that room will not rise above or below the danger levels as it is the room my furnace is in. At that point I will be ready to start.

When I start I figure I will wrap the seeds in a moist paper towel for two-five days depending on how long it takes for a little root to pop out. Once that occurs I will plant the seeds in a six inch pot and start the process. From that point on I will most likely have to ask a barrage of questions. So I will continue to use this thread as a place for me to ask those questions so I don't flood the forum with a bunch of stupid questions that have been asked a million times over.

Just as a side question. Is there any way to tell what sex the plant will be by the coloration of the seeds? I am thinking about starting six plants or so, but I don't want to end up with all males and nothing to show for the work put into the growing process.

Thanks guys. So far this has been a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. The help is GREATLY appreciated.

Edit: If anyone sees me walking into a mistake by using the wrong supplies please let me know. I would rather be corrected before I make my mistakes. So first and foremost, killz? Is that a decent choice for a paint, or would something else be preferable?

on your next trip to walmart pick up a small tupperware container, use this for your seed germination. place two wet papers towel on the bottom, place in your seeds, place another wet one on top of them. seal it up in a towel, and sit it on your computer moniter, mine sprouted 6 the first day and the rest followed right behind them. works great, keeps in moisture so the towels dont dry out and the moniter keeps it all nice and warm.

we then place them in a larger tupperware container that allows them to grow a couple inches while still enclosed in the moist enviorment. those six seed after being germinated and placed in soil popped thru two days later.

its a great no brainer way to get them to sprout and so far has worked almost flawless for me.

DO NOT get the JIFFY-7 peet pellets, that one to the far left in the sprouts was the first one to go in, it got put in a JIFFY-7 we got to try even though most say to stay away from them. well our test shows the same results, the JIFFY-7 peet pellets ****, its been in there a week now and still no signs of anything. the other two peet pellets pictured are some AMERICAN SEED peet pellets (bought from walmart) and they sprouted right after the ones in the MG soil did.

seeds.jpg

seedlings.jpg

seed.jpg

cyberquest said:
on your next trip to walmart pick up a small tupperware container, use this for your seed germination. place two wet papers towel on the bottom, place in your seeds, place another wet one on top of them. seal it up in a towel, and sit it on your computer moniter, mine sprouted 6 the first day and the rest followed right behind them. works great, keeps in moisture so the towels dont dry out and the moniter keeps it all nice and warm.

we then place them in a larger tupperware container that allows them to grow a couple inches while still enclosed in the moist enviorment. those six seed after being germinated and placed in soil popped thru two days later.

its a great no brainer way to get them to sprout and so far has worked almost flawless for me.

Awsome, thank you for the heads up. One question though. What about puting them on the back of a television? I think I read somewhere that the T.V. might be to hot for them, but I am not sure. The only reason I ask is because my monitor is flat and I really can't put anything on top of it unless I tape it to the back or something.

yeah i am sure the tv would work , anything really that has a nice warm (not hot) spot to sit them. i painted my bowl black to block the light, but wrapped it with a towel to absorb some of the heat, the monitor is pretty hot...lol.

only thing is you will want to leave that tv on all the time, cause you want that heat on them all the time.

I am just about finished with the room prep. I will post some pictures of it when I am done so people can look it over and tell me if I need to make any adjustments to it. Also, I checked the temp in the room where this will go down. Since the furnace is in it I figured I should know what the range will be. So far it has gone anywhere from 67 degrees all the way up to 72 degrees. Will this fluctuating temp. be a huge issue in regards to growth and health?

you should be good on temps, the cfls put off little heat but will raise temps in that area a small amount. but you should still be fine, the fans you use to blow on the plants will help you adjust temps, as long as you dont go above 90 degrees you should be fine.
also if its in the same room as the furnace since buring fuel emits co2, higher co2 levels will give you better results.

cyberquest said:
you should be good on temps, the cfls put off little heat but will raise temps in that area a small amount. but you should still be fine, the fans you use to blow on the plants will help you adjust temps, as long as you dont go above 90 degrees you should be fine.
also if its in the same room as the furnace since buring fuel emits co2, higher co2 levels will give you better results.

Good deal. I am pretty excited as this is my first attempt. I just want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as it can. I am expecting to have a few complications here and there until I get a formula worked out that works best for me, so I am learning as much as I can now before I start to grow so that I am, at the very least, somewhat informed on what is going on. Thanks for the help thus far everyone!

Pictures comming tonight or tomorrow

Ran into a little trouble. Got everything painted and dried and BAM the damn plumbing starts leaking into the basement SO before anything starts to "take root" I am having a plumber come over and check all of the pipes in the house so an incident like this doesn't happen in the middle of my project. Good, but bad timing at the same time.

shoot i would count that as a blessing, better now before you really get started then half way thru flower or something.

Haha, yeah. Plumber came today about two hours ago. He couldn't have been any older than about 25. I took him downstairs and he looked at the wall and saw it was painted white and saw the little scraps of mylar I could find rolled up in the corner and made like this little chuckle to himself. I freaked because my fiance was supposed to put that stuff away and didn't. Later I came back downstairs and he said something along the lines of "this room would be perfect to grow a little at home herbal garden, you know ginsing and what not" then he winked and gave me my bill.

haha... stoner. All is well though. I got a nice clean bill of health so I should be all set.

:rofl: man maybe it would have been better if they were full grow you could have probably paid him in bud!
good to hear you are all set man, you and the old lady better be putting it into overdrive now your behind schedule :D
and one of you two over there start working that camera...:D

hahaha, yup. The pipes are all good, but I want to make sure the leaking didn't affect the humidity in the room. It feels a bit "moister" than it did a few days ago. I am gonna go pick up my parents dehumidifyer since it has a built in gauge and see what it says.

i picked up a digital temp and humidity meter at lowes for $12;)

the higher humidity shouldnt be too much of a problem with them in their beginning stages,once you fire up all the lights and thing start warming up around that area it will help dry things i would imagine.

my closet is about 20% humidity with the lights running, and my room is right next to the bathroom. i ended up putting in a vaporizer, it raised me to about 40%, they say lower is better for flowering though so i have it turned off now cause its in flower. they say it makes the plant use its natural deffenses to protect itself when humidity is low, its uses RESIN to do this;)

Latest posts

Back