Tips for transplanting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for transplanting? Last grow I basically just moved them to bigger pots. Should I transplant them on a dry cycle? Does it matter? Also, after transplanting, just water or nutrients since the new soil (Ocean Forest) will have some nutrients in it? Thanks in advance

Do it when dry, makes it easier to remove. I’d add some Mycorrhizae to the roots after you remove and before you put into the new pot and then water. Don’t add any nutrients for a week or so as the new soil will have some for the plant to munch on. That length of time will depend on what size you've upgraded to.

I was going to move them into 3 gallon pots because I have 6 plants and I don't think I have room for 5 gallon containers

I use 3g pots for that same reason. All that new soil should keep the plants happy for a bit. I didn’t feed for close to 2 weeks when I transplanted from 1g to 3g using Ocean Forrest.

Have any of you soil growers ever mixed Ocean forest and happy frog together? I see the HF has microbes listed on it where OF doesn't

If you use Smart Pots (the felt fabric ones) like I do it is easier to transplant after a light watering. Otherwise, it is tough to pull them out. I don't have that problem because I use solo cups to start, then transplant to 1/2 gallon plastic pots for Veg and then to 1 gallon Smart Pots for flower. I never grow in anything bigger than a 1-gallon pot. Just my preference.

Last edited:
If you use Super Pots (the felt fabric ones) like I do it is easier to transplant after a light watering. Otherwise, it is tough to pull them out. I don't have that problem because I use solo cups to start, then transplant to 1/2 gallon plastic pots for Veg and then to 1 gallon Super Pots for flower. I never grow in anything bigger than a 1-gallon pot. Just my preference.
I have them in solo cups now and am moving them to 3gallon pots. I don’t want to transplant more than once

I have them in solo cups now and am moving them to 3gallon pots. I don’t want to transplant more than once
Do you plan on using Smart pots? They are the best thing I have ever done as far as growing goes. So much more robust growth and no worry about over watering.

Do you plan on using Smart pots? They are the best thing I have ever done as far as growing goes. So much more robust growth and no worry about over watering.
Excuse my ignorance but what is a smart pot? Do you a link for info?

I use them too. Love them

as-Mc-Farm-Black-Bulk-Felt-Fabric-Plant-Grow-Bag-5-Gallon-Smart-Pot.jpg

This is a better video, more explanation and a cutie doesn't hurt. :)

Thanks for the replies. It does seem the smart pots are the way to go. I guess I’ll use them next time. I transplanted them Saturday into regular pots and they seem to be doing well. I was quite happy with the root structure in the solo cups. 4 weeks and 3 days since I put them in the soil. And yes, they are named after Disney princesses.

Attachments

• B9BA89FE-A119-4834-81AE-0A4D00E7CC68.jpeg
    B9BA89FE-A119-4834-81AE-0A4D00E7CC68.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back