To All T5 Users

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mountain man said:
hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Category-T5-Fluorescent.asp

10,000 Kelvin daylight bulbs in 4' T5 HO 54 w
This info is second hand so it's just something to think about and research for yourself. 10000K (kelvins) is a super white bulb popular with people with live rock and coral plantlife in aquariums because it can penetrate up to 4 ft of water without yellowing like 6500K lights.

hXXp://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html#kelvin
my bad - kelvins. Here's a source with info that expands on what I said.

Ok, that tells me it (the 10 k T5's) works in an aquarium. But, what about vegging Marijuana? Is the 10k too high? Is 6500 the best to veg under? I bought an 8 pack of these HO T5's without knowing they were 10 k and NOT 6500 Kelvin.

OK well if you've gotten em from HTGs website, then you know they will exchange them. But if you're stuck with them, I wonder... If you combined these with the 3000k bloom spectrum bulbs (half and half) , would the total kelvins create a 6500k light appropriate for veg?

Personally, I think HTGs posting is misleading and I'd exspect them to make it right.

Hey MM the 10,000K bulbs are too high for MJ. The 6500K is best. Plants have the PAR range that serves their growth needs. PAR stands for photosyntheticly active range (I think), but the 10,000K light actually sits at the very edge of that range. I read that there is a possible use for actinic light that is around that range for doing specialized activity, but for standard (neccessary) growth light, the 6500K is best. You can also get those bulbs in 3000K which is good light for blooming but just isn't as potent as HPS for delivering the lumens. :)

I do understand the color temp range standards. Yes, 3 k for bloom & 6500 for veg is normal. I run HPS in bloom and these are my veg lights.
HTG has already sent the correct (6500k) ones & i will return the 10,000k bulbs upon receipt. (tomorrow)

Good - glad you ordered from them on line. Your experience is why I always order on the phone with them and never order from their ebay listings. They are always reasonable when dealing with unsatisfied customers.

Figured to post it in this T5 thread. I've said before that I'm an electrician, and just went to a different jobsite today and can get some T5 fixtures for free. Question being, they arent HO fixtures. I've read that HO's are optimal, but will the regular ones still work for veg? The setup is just for corridor lighting in this appt building, but there's 2 footers and 4 footers. The lamps are 14watt 2', and 28watt 4' and read 3500K. From what I've read I see that I'd need different lamps, but would the fixtures be of any use? Free is free :D

^^^^ Anyone??? Only going to be at this site for a few days, and don't really want to hassle with bringing them home and just sitting around taking up space if they aren't going to be of any use.

I dont know ston, i havent advanced to T5 yet, but yeah i have heard HO is needed.

but for free i would grab them and buy different bulbs, jmo.

They would be good for seedlings. But to small once veg starts

Small?

Pulled up a spec comparing the difference between T5's vs T5HO's and the thing I'm seeing is is the color temp. 4000K is the highest to get in T5. T5HO on the other hand you can get the 6000K. So say for seedlings or clones would a couple of the 2'ers be benefitial atleast? I'm always keeping a looking to score lights. Had some MH ones at the last job but were special ordered the exact amount needed.

How many lumens do they give off?

My Ho t-5's are 54 watt and 5000 lumens.

The lamps that I can get for free for 2 footers are like 1400 lumens each. Though the spectrum is low, only 3500K. What kind of lumens are needed solely for seedlings or clones? And how much does the spectrum affect them?

Latest posts

Back