To do or not to do...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vizio

Let it Grow
Reaction score
Today I called my local hydro store & told him about the gnat problem. He suggested that I could try to put a thin layer of sand to suffocate the gnats. Just for the record I went out to Home Depot & bought a bag of sand. I added a thin layer of it on 2 of small veg plants & then I thought hold up wait lets go to the forum & see what the pros say about this.

There you have it.

Thanks for the input but I found some soil drench that's supposed to be just what I need.

I concur with Rosebud -Actually I had this exact problem myself -up until a few weeks ago.

I added a layer of sand to my pots about an inch or so deep.
..and sayonara fungus gnats ..:)

The sand needs to be washed, as Multifarious recommends- NOT beach sand.
Just get a bag of the stuff you would put into a kids sandpit

It is important to let your soil dry out properly between waterings too -the larvae thrive in moist conditions. Try bottom feeding until you break their life cycle.

Combined with the sand, this method is very effective.

Good luck.

Bottom feeding is kinda cool. I had a smart pot filled with dirt ready for satori. I noticed i had over watered another plant so i took that smart pot and sat it in the very full saucer. Came back in ten minutes or so and all the water was gone. I love smart pots and from that i learned bottom feeding really is a good idea Delta.

Thanks again fellas. Gotta try the bottom feeding. But i only have 1 smart pot. Eventually all my growing will be in a smart pot. How do you bottom feed an plastic pot?

Same way just set the pot in a big saucer and i would cut some extra holes in the pot if it only has a few... It will drink fast and then you can fill it again. Don't let the water set in the saucer for more then a couple of hours. If it hasn't drank it that time it is full.

And I excuse you for calling me a fella...;)

ur pot needs to be in a container/saucer to hold water and ur plant will suck it up thru the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot

u could add hanging sticky fly strips and use diamatious earth to also keep them pesky gnats in check

I didn't mean any disrespect RoseBud. It's just a figure of speech. Lol 1 love.

Would the sand on top still be a viable option for preventing fungus gants if watering through the sand on top? I had more issues with fungus gnats in my hydro tanks than in my soil a couple seasons back.

Latest posts

Back