to transplant or not to transplant, that is the question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob84

Reaction score
i was wondering what the big deal is with transplanting. why is it that people dont just start with 2-5 gallon pots? is it a space issue or is there a benefit to transplanting?

another question:
looking at pictures of different strains, it seems that it is very beneficial to grow a specific strain such as big bud compared to bagseed you get when you buy a 20. is this as beneficial as it seems or are the pictures i am looking at just premium examples of the different plants to help sell the seeds?

To answers your first question, they say that when you plant in smaller buckets first, the roots tends to grow farther out whereas if you just plant it in a 5 gal bucket, the roots will tend to grow down more than out. Transplanting helps get a more diffuse root system. But, i have never had any problems with just starting it out in the bucket it is going to flower in. It is all a matter of preference. If you don't know how to transplant, then its best to leave them alone because it is easy to kill them.
Yes, strains that you buy are usually going to be better as the pictures reflect. Bagseed is usually pretty good, but you just never know the strain type. The strains that you buy are engineered for highest quality.

thanks, those are exactly the answers i was looking for

I've read that a wider pot that lets the roots grow out makes your plant shorter and bushier. A taller thinner pot that makes the roots grow down will make the plant taller and thinner. I've read this out of "How to grow great marijuana" found at barnes and noble I think it mentions something similar in the "marijuana bible." Also, we all know how detrimental over and under watering is. When you have a 4 inch plant in a 5 gallon bucket it's pretty hard to judge how much water it is getting

The size of the pot up or down wide or thin and tall won't affect the WAY (shape) yer plant grows. The roots will fill the space as they allways will no matter what shape of the vessel they're in. Starting in smaller pots then transplanting up has a beneficial effect on SOME plants, not all, as some plants enjoy a little root-bound period before transplanting is neccesary. Starting in the container yer gonna flower in is fine for most folks. It's somewhat easier on the plant as you won't disturb the root mass this way, and MJ doesn't like her roots messed with if it's at all possible.Good luck and be safe.:)

Latest posts

Back