tobbacco plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growdude

I am the Smo King
Reaction score
Looking around on the net this seems to gaining popularity.

Plenty of seedbanks out there with lots of cheap seeds.

From what I can tell it looks alot like growing MJ, small seeds that need germ, then transplanted, likes 70-80 f and moist soil.

Anyone doin this? and have any advice.

Growdude said:
Looking around on the net this seems to gaining popularity.

Plenty of seed banks out there with lots of cheap seeds.

From what I can tell it looks a lot like growing MJ, small seeds that need germ, then transplanted, likes 70-80 f and moist soil.

Anyone doin this? and have any advice.

It's got to be cheaper than buying it. The prices today are crazy!

Of course, *not* using it is the best advice, but if you're going to grow and use it, in my opinion, it's best to make a mound that is about a foot tall from the base of the irrigation trench on either side of it, with soil that will drain well, and use a drip hose to feed the trench on a 24/7 basis to moisten the mound via natural wicking.

In the old days, they did this with buckets, between rains. The mounds and trenches prevent the roots and lower stem from being in standing water and drowning.

Good luck man!

Please remember that what I've said is only my opinion. Others may have better advice for you and you should decide if you follow any advice given.

just for the heck of it,
how much do you guys pay in your
area for your brand? i pay 9.50 a pack
my old brand cost me 10.50 a pack

$9.50 a pack sounds like New York resident to me :). They were $6 a pack when I moved from CT in '05!

I quit smoking last April when they raised the taxes again (both a state and fed tax increase) to $5.10/pack (and that's at carton rates). I refuse to fund the SCHIP program and FL's budget shortfall. I have mixed feelings about quitting :). No, cancel that, I am a Non-Smoker!

FYI: The nicotine gum works like a charm, I may never quit chewing it.

I dont smoke but you can get packs here for 4.95 for name brand

I looked into growing and processing my own tobacco briefly, for both cigarettes and dip. When I got to calculationg how much tobacco I could get from one plant, and how many plants I would need for a year's supply, I quit looking. Would take a LOT of ground space to grow enough, since they're huge plants.

The thing that intrigued me was that there is no tax on seeds, plants, or unprocessed tobacco. The only thing taxed is finished, cured, processed tobacco, or at least I think that's what I read. I'm still wondering if I can buy some mature leaves from a grower for cheap, and process it myself?

wmmeyer said:
I looked into growing and processing my own tobacco briefly, for both cigarettes and dip. When I got to calculationg how much tobacco I could get from one plant, and how many plants I would need for a year's supply, I quit looking. Would take a LOT of ground space to grow enough, since they're huge plants.

The thing that intrigued me was that there is no tax on seeds, plants, or unprocessed tobacco. The only thing taxed is finished, cured, processed tobacco, or at least I think that's what I read. I'm still wondering if I can buy some mature leaves from a grower for cheap, and process it myself?

Not a bad idea, let me know if you find a place to do that.

is it illegal to grow tobacco in your home? :stoned:
i wouldnt grow it to smoke but i was thinking about just growing
one out for the heck of it, yknow?

Alien Bait has an older post around here somwhere with some pics of his tobacco plants ;)

does ya length of growin season in ya are have anythin to do wit tobacco growin at all. liek maturity etc.. or can ya grow tobacco just bout anywhere and only size overall be hindered by the length of season if shorter :confused2:

thedonofchronic said:
is it illegal to grow tobacco in your home? :stoned:
i wouldnt grow it to smoke but i was thinking about just growing
one out for the heck of it, yknow?

From what little reading I've done, my understanding is it is perfectly legal to do anything ya want with tobacco. Grow inside or out, harvest, process, produce seeds, etc. The only thing under government control is the tax on the finished product. So, if ya sold it ready to smoke, ya'd get involved in that.

does ya length of growin season in ya are have anythin to do wit tobacco growin at all. liek maturity etc.. or can ya grow tobacco just bout anywhere and only size overall be hindered by the length of season if shorter

I'm sure length of season, climate, soil type, etc all have a profound effect on the finished product. Like the majority of commercial tobacco is all grown in a kinda limited area. But I think it will grow just about anywhere. Problem I ran into was, the plants are huge and take up a lot of room. I forget the calculations, but to support my half-pack a day habbit for a year, I figured I would need about 40 plants, and that's more than a backyard grow.

I'm sure length of season, climate, soil type, etc all have a profound effect on the finished product.
my little brother grows the crap well did.. huge leafs yes, the finished product depended on how you wanted to cure it.. my bro said it grew quick, big like you were saying, but a 4 ft plant with the size of them leafs on there... my bro spent 25$ on the seeds and said there was at least 100 of them tiny tiny lil guys..

but i quit smoking so yeah, have fun.... lol
LH

hmmm ya'll got me thinkin now. maybe throw just 1 or even 2 in the vegie garden next year just to try it an see wat happens first.
im sure ya can find seeds alot cheaper than 25$ somewhere tho. idk.
gonan have to have gander wit google.
but i thought bout doin this for few years now. me and my old man both thought bout it. and still talk of it once in a while. but its just one them things ya always talk bout doin but never do ya know. LOL

Growing tobacco is perfectly legal nearly everywhere (and absolutely everywhere in the US).

The reason most people don't do it has nothing to do with laws or taxes or anything silly like that, it's drying and curing and otherwise dealing with the post harvest production that is annoying. Of course with cigarette prices going the way they are more and more people are deciding it's worthwhile to grow their own.

Do a little research online. The drying/curing is handled differently than MJ so you'll want to make sure you understand the task at hand before you plant yourself crop of it. Oh, and they're decently big plants, so plan for that too.

A mature Tobacco plant at harvest.

hXXp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/virginia-gold-tobacco-seeds-100seeds_W0QQitemZ220480698807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item3355ac79b7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

100 seeds for £1

:peace:

2 2 Tob.JPG

I grew a strain called "Indian Tobacco".
I ordered the seeds online for 10 bucks.
I sprinkled the seeds on soil-then misted them.
Some of the ones I had got up to 4 ft tall.
I had about 15 plants and probably enough leaf for a carton.
I could have had more if my garden had better soil.
There are strains of tobacco that are bred more for northern climates.
The plants have put out seed pods and I have alot more seeds than what I ordered.
I got mine at virtualseeds.com

Gb

6.50 a pac is what i am spending for newport shorts

Hahaha funny I have a neighbor who grows his own and theyare over 6' tall ! we lose him all the time cause his only 5'7"

Latest posts

Back