Today’s World

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
My place of employment had a job fair this week.
6 people showed up.
We employ around 500 people, so it is not like we are a small company.
5 years ago we would have 40 or 50 applicants stop in.
Are that many people working online?
Are they just sitting at home doing nothing?
And, if you do hire someone under 30 years old, they generally have 0 mechanical skills. I kid you not, last summer, I had to show a 25 year old man how to use a ratchet strap. He had never used one before. What does a 25 year old man not knowing how to use a ratchet strap, or change a tire, say about the state of this country?
I know my employers are not alone in their struggle to hire quality help, it is a nationwide problem.
Our material suppliers are behind for the same reason.
Of course, our material suppliers also have their own material suppliers with the same problem, etc………
Common sense dictates that the oil industry is suffering from the same affliction, which can’t be helping with the price of fuel.
Where all this is headed, I don’t know, but a feller what knows how to grow a garden, and fry up a mess of gray squirrels, may be beating the ladies off with a stick in the near future.

Thats because the majority of the younder generation are a bunch of lazy assholes that dont know shit. Public Schools dont teach any kind of trades anymore. All they teach is hate and bullshit.
When i was in high school i took Auto Mechanics. Others took Wood Shop, Agreculture and many other things. Now they teach them how to hate America and our History.:mad:

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly @WeedHopper .
I have always heard that every generation proclaims that the up and coming younger generation are a bunch of worthless twits, but the ones coming into the job force now are absolutely ponderous.
They have 0 basic life skills to apply when learning a new job.
Trying to train someone to do even an entry level job is so frustrating. Most of these kids can’t even read a ruler.
How in the heck can someone graduate high school and not know how to read a ruler?

My place of employment had a job fair this week.
6 people showed up.
We employ around 500 people, so it is not like we are a small company.
5 years ago we would have 40 or 50 applicants stop in.
Are that many people working online?
Are they just sitting at home doing nothing?
And, if you do hire someone under 30 years old, they generally have 0 mechanical skills. I kid you not, last summer, I had to show a 25 year old man how to use a ratchet strap. He had never used one before. What does a 25 year old man not knowing how to use a ratchet strap, or change a tire, say about the state of this country?
I know my employers are not alone in their struggle to hire quality help, it is a nationwide problem.
Our material suppliers are behind for the same reason.
Of course, our material suppliers also have their own material suppliers with the same problem, etc………
Common sense dictates that the oil industry is suffering from the same affliction, which can’t be helping with the price of fuel.
Where all this is headed, I don’t know, but a feller what knows how to grow a garden, and fry up a mess of gray squirrels, may be beating the ladies off with a stick in the near future.
I feel ya. I'm self employed now, home based auto repair. The last shop that I had worked for somebody at I was the head mechanic and we needed somebody to lend a hand every once in awhile as well as change tires and whatever else needed done around the shop. They hired this kid named Josh who came in as a Certified mechanic as well as held a valid inspection license. I don't understand how he got his certifications but I knew it was hopeless because this kid couldn't so much as change a set of brake pads when he decided to show up for work, could not grasp the concept that if you don't know how tight to tighten bolts then use a torque wrench and had absolutely no clue how to fill out the inspection checklist book. He also had no clue how to figure out how much oil a car required to fill the crankcase after an oil change. Long story short he knew nothing. Needless to say my boss at the time expected me to train him which I had to kindly explain to him that he was not my problem to train and I would only do so with a pay increase because I was there as a mechanic not a teacher and that if he could not do the job he is certified to do than it would be best if he just stuck to changing tires.
These kids are handed things today and lied to in order to make them feel good about themselves and like they can accomplish things without knowledge. We have generations of children that have been lied to their whole lives and the world will suffer dearly for it.

It is sad, but the good news is, in the next few years plumbers, electricians, carpenters, welders, and every other skilled trade, are going to be in high demand because nobody wants to do any manual labor.
My son, who is 23, just got his CDL’s and is getting a job as a lineman.
I predict he is going to be pretty well off by the time he retires.
I raised him on hunting, fishing, and hard work.
The starter went out of my 4 wheeler when my son was about 12 years old.
He got tired of waiting for me to fix it, so he decided he would do it.
I walked him through each step, remove the starter, take the starter apart, replace the brushes, put the starter back together, reinstall the starter.
He did it all by himself, with a little guidance, at 12 years old.
Of course, by that time, he was driving tractors and a manual transmission Toyota pickup truck around the back 40.
Most kids nowadays don’t get the opportunity to do that kind of stuff.

Well said Flower and MechaniMan. I retired and sold my part of our business December 31st 2009. Aside from planning this the other main reason is the younger generation has no work ethic. After two years they would say they were burnt out and needed a break........W T F....you got 40 years to go.....burnt out......what pussies. And now they are paid to stay at home. What is wrong with this country.

Ok Hippie I am walking a thin line and I know it so bear with me. Funny Colorado is broke like most states and the Gov here is sending out $1,400 stimulus checks to everybody. Seems funny with what is coming up in November. If the gov't sends me and Mrs Pute $2,800 in free $$$ I am not gonna spend it....going right to the gold store.

So, Hippie how is that for walking the line.

It is sad, but the good news is, in the next few years plumbers, electricians, carpenters, welders, and every other skilled trade, are going to be in high demand because nobody wants to do any manual labor.
My son, who is 23, just got his CDL’s and is getting a job as a lineman.
I predict he is going to be pretty well off by the time he retires.
I raised him on hunting, fishing, and hard work.
The starter went out of my 4 wheeler when my son was about 12 years old.
He got tired of waiting for me to fix it, so he decided he would do it.
I walked him through each step, remove the starter, take the starter apart, replace the brushes, put the starter back together, reinstall the starter.
He did it all by himself, with a little guidance, at 12 years old.
Of course, by that time, he was driving tractors and a manual transmission Toyota pickup truck around the back 40.
Most kids nowadays don’t get the opportunity to do that kind of stuff.
I like the way you think Flower.

Hippie you mean ole bastard.😁
Here is Hippie's response

giphy.gif

I can tell you, from personal experience, that most of today’s young women are more trainable than the young men.
They pay better attention, but it is a challenge keeping all of them off their phones and focused on the job at hand.

Well said Flower and MechaniMan. I retired and sold my part of our business December 31st 2009. Aside from planning this the other main reason is the younger generation has no work ethic. After two years they would say they were burnt out and needed a break........W T F....you got 40 years to go.....burnt out......what pussies. And now they are paid to stay at home. What is wrong with this country.

Ok Hippie I am walking a thin line and I know it so bear with me. Funny Colorado is broke like most states and the Gov here is sending out $1,400 stimulus checks to everybody. Seems funny with what is coming up in November. If the gov't sends me and Mrs Pute $2,800 in free $$$ I am not gonna spend it....going right to the gold store.

Hippie has been getting out of hand lately
Bring the Old guy back LOL

I myself would go for silver over gold. Gold is still partially inflated in silver hasn't suffered that inflation so much. I pay a little bit of attention to that stuff and the consensus from a lot of big name investors seems to be that silver has a larger upside. The reason being that gold just keeps going up and up while silver went up and then came back down and since has not recovered it's all time high. Silver's price is less than 50% of its all-time high of $48 oz while gold is currently near its all time high of $1,900.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back