Today’s World

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you, from personal experience, that most of today’s young women are more trainable than the young men.
They pay better attention, but it is a challenge keeping all of them off their phones and focused on the job at hand.
I was training a kid in the chip fab I worked in a few years ago. I would be showing him how to do something and look over my shoulder to see if he was getting the procedure I was showing him and he would invariably be looking at his phone. I finally stopped trying to show him what I was doing and he couldn’t say what ‘we’ did at passdown to the next shift. I didn’t trash the kid. I let his knowledge of what we did speak for itself. He is still there because the company needed headcount but he is useless to the company.

Last edited:
I myself would go for silver over gold. Gold is still partially inflated in silver hasn't suffered that inflation so much. I pay a little bit of attention to that stuff and the consensus from a lot of big name investors seems to be that silver has a larger upside. The reason being that gold just keeps going up and up while silver went up and then came back down and since has not recovered it's all time high. Silver's price is less than 50% of its all-time high of $48 oz while gold is currently near its all time high of $1,900.
Invest in high velocity lead. It will be way more valuable than gold when things go sideways…

Don't bother him....it is beer day
I see @Hippie420 now
200.gif

It is sad, but the good news is, in the next few years plumbers, electricians, carpenters, welders, and every other skilled trade, are going to be in high demand because nobody wants to do any manual labor.
My son, who is 23, just got his CDL’s and is getting a job as a lineman.
I predict he is going to be pretty well off by the time he retires.
I raised him on hunting, fishing, and hard work.
The starter went out of my 4 wheeler when my son was about 12 years old.
He got tired of waiting for me to fix it, so he decided he would do it.
I walked him through each step, remove the starter, take the starter apart, replace the brushes, put the starter back together, reinstall the starter.
He did it all by himself, with a little guidance, at 12 years old.
Of course, by that time, he was driving tractors and a manual transmission Toyota pickup truck around the back 40.
Most kids nowadays don’t get the opportunity to do that kind of stuff.
It’s a good time for a young person now in the trades world. There are so many opportunities for them now in apprenticeships and free college training when signing up to learn a trade. Nothing like when I was their age. I’m convinced that their parents just didn’t make them do anything at home and didn’t teach them about what it takes to make it on your own. thats Why when we get them out in the workforce, they are to numb to even know how to sweep. I have tho taken a few under my wing who I could see potential in and they turned out to be fine tradespeople. I would and do encourage any young person in the trades these days. (Some/most are hopeless) In fact my oldest grandson just started the apprentice at the navy yard after having a talk with me and his grandpa about how we retired already and so young still. (that kinda made me feel good) He’s one of those that I don't think has ever cut the grass or cleaned up after himself. Our son has never encouraged him, sad I know… we have little to say about it to the parents anyway but the grandkids I feel I can still offer advice especially now that they are grown. He is loving learning his new trade and looks forward to moving up.

There are a few tho. Country folk still train their youngins. We got an intern at the shop right now. He's going to be a senior in hs this year and he is a damn good worker. He's the son of a golf course maintenance man. You show him something once and he picks it right up. Dude is 17 and basically takes care of everything on all the mowers himself, does setup and PDI, and services on gators. Every day he gets better. Deere is even going to send him to school after he graduates next year. Free ride. I know it seems like there are a lot more useless than useful, but that's because the useful are in use lol.

There are a few tho. Country folk still train their youngins. We got an intern at the shop right now. He's going to be a senior in hs this year and he is a damn good worker. He's the son of a golf course maintenance man. You show him something once and he picks it right up. Dude is 17 and basically takes care of everything on all the mowers himself, does setup and PDI, and services on gators. Every day he gets better. Deere is even going to send him to school after he graduates next year. Free ride. I know it seems like there are a lot more useless than useful, but that's because the useful are in use lol.
Yes I agree there are enough of them worth giving a chance, even if you have to do some of their parents training. Some of them really appreciate it and take it on…

Aptitude is aptitude. It's standardized education that is the problem. These kids aren't given a chance because their woke ass parents don't understand that they are not tuned to learn the bullshit that the gubmint believes is what all kids should be taught. If "it's not fair" didn't exist in our edumacation system, we'd have more tradesmen than you think. It's not ADHD... It's fkng boredom with the norm.

Shhhhhh...... He's back.......

They cant even read or write in Cursive or tell time on an analog clock.:oops: Most young men cant change a fking tire.
If Mickey's big hand is on the twelve, and his little hand is on the nine......
So, Hippie how is that for walking the line.
Fine job. Straight down the line. Karl Wallenda would be proud of ya. :)

I was training a kid in the chip fab I worked in a few years ago. I would be showing him how to do something and look over my shoulder to see if he was getting the procedure I was showing him and he would invariably be looking at his phone. I finally stopped trying to show him what I was doing and he couldn’t say what ‘we’ did at passdown to the next shift. I didn’t trash the kid. I let his knowledge of what we did speak for itself. He is still there because the company needed headcount but he is useless to the company.

One of mine are training on a new machine. I was out on the floor and see her staring at her phone while the veteran operator is working.
I walked up and asked her how she was expecting to learn anything if she wasn’t watching what was going on?
Of course, some of the veterans are on the other end of the spectrum, and I can’t necessarily say I blame them for looking at it the way they do.
All the veterans have figured out that they can pretty much get away with murder because the company can’t afford to lose them, and some of them really push it to the limit, lol.

One of mine are training on a new machine. I was out on the floor and see her staring at her phone while the veteran operator is working.
I walked up and asked her how she was expecting to learn anything if she wasn’t watching what was going on?
Of course, some of the veterans are on the other end of the spectrum, and I can’t necessarily say I blame them for looking at it the way they do.
All the veterans have figured out that they can pretty much get away with murder because the company can’t afford to lose them, and some of them really push it to the limit, lol.
It is hard to blame them though. They(some of them anyway) are trying to impart some of their knowledge and it is disrespectful of the girl to think she can learn it without trying to learn it. I felt the sane way. I used to be an industrial master optician making optics for micro lithography systems. Some people wanted to learn what I knew, others didn’t care. Back then though, they were sent packing.

Latest posts

Back