Tomato Gardeners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldie

Reaction score
I am growing tomatoes in 5 - gallon buckets this year, and any hints or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

:eek: I just saw the wording for this section :p ...I have to get a digicam... :)

Goldie, treat your tomatoe plants, just like you would MJ. They grow the exact same way, and require the EXACT same nutrients!!

hey Goldie, I like a 'mater now 'n then myself. I usually pick up plants at wally-world or the garden center. This year, I'm starting from seed. Started them in "Rapid Rooters" about, mmmmm 3 weeks ago I'll say, moved them up to 7" square pots and Black Gold soil as soon as roots started emerging from the starter blocks. Happy under flo's at nite and full Mother Natures" giant halide(weather permitting) days. I'll take a couple pics and post em up later this evening.

Yes Goldie, you can clone them. You can re-veg them also. EVERYTHING about it is like MJ. We used to grow tomatoes in hydro, in the same system as our MJ. We'd have 10 MJ plants, and 2 tomato plants. This way, if we ever had to rip things down, you'd leave the tomatoes in, and tell the landlord we're growing tomatoes. Never had to do that though.

..told ya I'd be back.... :)

Way cool! Experimenting is as much fun as the growing! :)

are you seriously talking about tomatoes ? that is what me and my pot buddies call marijuana plants while around children or in public . HEY DO YOU HAVE ANY MATORS ON THEM PLANTS YET .LOL

Here's a couple from about a month ago. Been eating yalla' squash, zuchini and 'maters for a few weeks.

i'm watering my tomatoes with Shultz 20/20/20 fert. is this good if not w/ should i use?

gcr', organics will make 'em taste better, but lotsa' ppl successfully use Shultz.

Very glad I found this thread/forum, I was just tellin my hubby 5 min ago that i wanted to grow some tomato plants too. Then i came across this.:) Same thing go for hydro? Grow them like i have my MJ?

bigbudz said:
Very glad I found this thread/forum, I was just tellin my hubby 5 min ago that i wanted to grow some tomato plants too. Then i came across this.:) Same thing go for hydro? Grow them like i have my MJ?
Similar to MJ but you can use regular Walmart type nutes.

The tomato plants transpiration rate will increase dramatically. This sometimes causes the fruits to split. I've found that covering them with a sun filter helps eliminate a lot of problems. You can use different levels of blockage to get the desired effect of perfect fruit.

I'm talking "fruit" as in whatever the produce of a particular plant is. As in "Flower/Bud to fruit".

Here's some trivia for you.

A tomato plant grown in FDA approved levels of commercial ferts, has a minimum of 400 units of Vitamin A in it.

The same tomato grown hydroponically with proper variables to maximize the fruits potential has 4,000 units of vitamin A.

Ten times as much.

The fruit will have a much stronger flavor as well. Green peppers are very noticeable in that regard.

The amount of "Meat" in each fruit will also be increased. Less pulp.

I've got a 25 by 10 foot hydro setup in my front yard in a greenhouse. I'm using 4 inch PVC for the NFT method. 80 plants in all.

Each year, I take the guys at the plant a bunch of veggies. I can't eat all of that and I've never canned anything. I freeze some on cookie sheets and then vacuum pack em for freezing. You can't tell the difference when you cook them later.

Good luck to you! If I can help, just let me know.

Thanks for all the info Stoney! I love home grown tomatoes, slice em up, add a lil salt, perfect snack! I'll be sure to look for ya if i have any questions. Thanks again!

this thread makes me hungry..It's awesome how they are so similar to bud...crazy

Latest posts

Back