Tomatoes turning red late

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intuitive Philosopher

DeepInhaler/DeepThinker
Reaction score
So I have a 20x30 garden with lots of different veggies. zukes, cukes, eggplant, brussel sprout, peppers, green beans, etc...and of course lots of tomatoes.
My tomatoes plants are falling over this year from all the weight of the unripened tomatoes. The tomatoes just get bigger and bigger but haven't turned red until now. Anyone else have this problem???
Frustrating, I have been craving fresh salsa and tomato sauce all summer and now that basil is about done and my cilantro is about done...now the tomatoes decide to ripen...grrr..

so, just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Ours are just coming on now. Pretty normal time for us, too. We get some extra early ones like Stupice, Glacier, then cherries like Sungold. Now we are getting mid summer ones turning. It will happen. Weather is key. How has yours been?

I've been harvesting tomatoes for a week and a half, sporadicly. They're acctualy just starting to reach the stage where I can start harvesting enough for canning. Seems alittle late around here as well.

lower michigan chiming in. same-o, same-o over here. been an unusually cooler summer this season here. don't think our mj will finish OD.

our garden was put in early, and as far as toms go, only cherries are ripening in past week. the big boys are just getting a pinkish tinge to em.

yesterday was 95 degrees. it's only hit 90 like 3 days here. with our weather yesterday, came some more unusual storms. more lightening strikes, (20,000), which started many wide ranging fires.

normally, we would be canning now.

im in very center US and ive had so many they are rotting for almost a month now.

oh **** he is actually talking about tomatos...

same here Hippy...well been harvestig since ukgirl was here and will untill HaLLOWEEN anyway...looks like lots of BLT comeing..yum yum

Chimin in from the land of 10,000 lakes. this has been the worst year in about a decade for our tomatoes. Our cherries came in about normal, maybe two weeks late. I lost all the big boys to deer i think and our romas have just started being harvested in the last week. We also lost all our vine crops to powdery mildew this year. Darn cool nights and warm days. lets keep our fingers crossed for next season.

North Indiana. I had ripe ones back in july-then cool spell, slowed way down and then just a couple days ago, bunch of red ones.
Mine are called "early pick", but I can't figure that one out-lol

Gb

I started harvesting the end of July/ early August. The season on the whole has been fairly depressing. I usualy get my harvests in waves, wich works out nice for canning. But this year the harvest has been steady but small numbers of medium fruit. This past weekend I put my greenhouse cover over them so maybe I can at least get a few more qaurts for the cellar. Oh well, there's always next season.

Latest posts

Back