too big of a pot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolly12345

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if it's possible to plant in a pot that's too large? I have 2 square plastic planters that are each about one cubic foot. Would these be too large to grow a single plant in?

Also, I keep reading advice that says you should put your seedlings in the final planter they will occupy, but I keep seeing pix that show people growing seedlings in plastic cups, etc. I believe the theory is to put your seedling in it's final home so you won't have to tranasplant and shock the plant. Is this correct or doesn't it really matter? Should I put my seedlings (if and when I get some) into the cubic footers?

Any and all help is very appreciated!

The best way is to put it in its final home, but a lot grow start them in cups. I don't mind one transplant before flower. but you have to do it very carefully.

As far as pot size. To max out the plant, I would recommend a 5 gallon bucket. but the smaller you go the higher the chance of "rootbound" which will hinder the size of the plant. Its what you want to do and your growing conditions.

OK, I'll find some 5 gal containers and put any seedlings in there. Thank you for the info!

I dunno, starting seeds in 5 gallon pots??. seems a waste of space and resources to me. @ $16 per bag of quality soil that fills 3 five gal. buckets...How many fivers can you fit under a 4 foot flour'?.. 3?.. Why grow males to full size?..What if you encounter a problem and need to flush?..And personally, I don't think a huge pot benefits seedling growth.
I don't find transplanting at all difficult as long as your roots are fully filling the ball. And prior to that, it isn't needed. I up-pot at least twice before they go into their final homes.

Remember the rule. 1 plant per pot. If you plant more than one plant per pot you may end with a male and female in the same pot. If you pull the male its root die and rot. Cause problems for the other plant. Or leave it grow and have seeded bud.

there is actually many aritcles to support transplanting many times. if you start in a small container and let it get a little root bound and move to the next size it brings apon vigorous new growth. you can do this five or six times in a grow as long as you are careful and it will actually improve growth. one article i read siggested growing in a 2cm by 2cm container and gradually getting to 10 gallen containers. you should have seen the pictures the root mass was the size of my upper torso and was solid with healthy white roots. the plant ended up being a 12 foot plant and yeilded over a pound. so start in cups and move to the containers you have gradually.

Who's got room for a 12' plant inside? I wish.

You can plant in as big of a pot as you want. The problem is the bigger the pot the more water your going to have to give it. The water at the bottom will not get used by the tiny plant. This can cause some rotting problems. When the plant is small and in a big container. I find that watering lightly around the plant as needed when its small but still giving it a good soaking once a week for the first few weeks. In my experiences having the plant in a bigger container to start with usually gives better results. Yet I have seen the articles stating just the opposite.

Latest posts

Back