too much darkness?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShuttyMcShutShut

Reaction score
Whats up people....
its my first grow and i just started my 6th week of flower....apparently last night some time my light came unplugged....its been in total darkness for around 17 hours straight now....what do we think will happen to my poor plant?

wow just make sure that will not happen again, put them back to the light and pray.:))
but you will be good

i've been having problems with my Timer the past few days. for some reason, it would turn off at night, but it wouldn't turnt he light on daytime (i have to do it manually)! The plants were left in the dark for 36 hours.. Twice!
They're still growing buds fine.. :)

just the opposite for us, 3 weeks into veg the power went out for 4 hours while the lights were on for there 18 hours, hope it doesn't hurt our girls and make them boys when they make the transition.still have 3 weeks before they go to 12 hours. jr

OMG!! this is my first time and i've been all over reading different post on growing. My first info, not from this site, was talking 12 & 12 As of week 2 my plants have been on that schedule, some times more hours of light. Now i feel like I really screwed up majorly. My lighting or 175 plant light, they look healthy, and flowering I guess. Could anyone tell me what could possibally be my outcome? Some of my plants are starting to form the 3rd set of leaves. I don't know.......... Help!

juststarted said:
OMG!! this is my first time and i've been all over reading different post on growing. My first info, not from this site, was talking 12 & 12 As of week 2 my plants have been on that schedule, some times more hours of light. Now i feel like I really screwed up majorly. My lighting or 175 plant light, they look healthy, and flowering I guess. Could anyone tell me what could possibally be my outcome? Some of my plants are starting to form the 3rd set of leaves. I don't know.......... Help!

You're a little incoherent here, but let me try and give you a little info on lighting schedules.

When plants are young like yours, they should be on either 24 hours of light a day 7 days a week (known as 24/7) or they should be on 18 hours and off 6 hours (known as 18/6). This is known as the vegging period and this lighting schedule can be kept as long as you want--space providing. There is no set time that you should or need to put your plants into 12/12 (this induces flowering), but space is usually the deciding factor. Plants can double or triple in size once put into 1212. It is imperative that the dark period is totally dark with no light interruptions.

If your plants are only on their 3rd set of leaves, they should NOT be in 12/12. What kind of light are you using? How big is your space? Do you have any ventilation? What lighting schedule are you using now?

The Hemp Goddess said:
You're a little incoherent here, but let me try and give you a little info on lighting schedules.

When plants are young like yours, they should be on either 24 hours of light a day 7 days a week (known as 24/7) or they should be on 18 hours and off 6 hours (known as 18/6). This is known as the vegging period and this lighting schedule can be kept as long as you want--space providing. There is no set time that you should or need to put your plants into 12/12 (this induces flowering), but space is usually the deciding factor. Plants can double or triple in size once put into 1212. It is imperative that the dark period is totally dark with no light interruptions.

If your plants are only on their 3rd set of leaves, they should NOT be in 12/12. What kind of light are you using? How big is your space? Do you have any ventilation? What lighting schedule are you using now?

Are you saying I should go back to like 18/6? This week my plants will be 4 weeks old. I'm using Blue plant light 175 watts bulb. I really can't afford MH bulbs. My space, they have plenty of room. I have a small fan and window. My lighting schedule 12-14 hours.

juststarted said:
Are you saying I should go back to like 18/6? This week my plants will be 4 weeks old. I'm using Blue plant light 175 watts bulb. I really can't afford MH bulbs. My space, they have plenty of room. I have a small fan and window. My lighting schedule 12-14 hours.

I'm going to direct you to the Resource Section. Read everything there. Then you really should go to the individual forums and read all the Stickies that apply to your situation. You really need to understand the life cycle of mj and how lighting affects the growth and flowering of your plants.

I can't really say what you should do. However, your plant is far too small to be in 12/12, especially if it is just starting its 3rd set of leaves. Blue light is okay for vegetative growth, but you need a more red spectrum for flowering and it really should be a HPS. You should not alter the hours your plants are flowering--you should not be alternating between 12 and 14 hours a day. When flowering, your girls need 12 on and 12 off and this needs to be the same every day. To do otherwise is inviting hermies, IMO.

Ive read that 12/12 light on,off flowers best, but some say 13/11 near end is good and some say 11/13 ripens a little faster near end. I tried 11 on/13 off and in 2 days my room started wreaking of skunk. Im about week 9 flowering sativa now and have never smelled this much goodness, so im staying with 13 hrs dark. Planning about 12 week flowering and a week flush after that. (including perhaps 3 days total darkness at very end. and no water those 3 days) Also Ive cut down from 3 to 1 plant per 5 gal bucket (pumice hydro ebbnflow, 2 floods per day) and using a little LST finding same yield. 13 week total flowering will be my longest ever. I have a friend who swears flowering faster with less light on time such as 8/16, but less yield. makes sense. It smoked fine, just less of it. So do the math and adjust to your space and time and yield needs.
I might even go to 14 hrs lights off for the final week or two. I dont smoke or vape anymore after 44yrs since I discovered walnut cannaoil. omega3 rich. It also cured my diabetes. Look up walnut oil online. Must decarb weed with 1 min microwave twice (2 min total), before the weed/oil mixing. Pharmacies would outlaw walnut oil if they could. I use the crockpot/mason jar method LOW or HIGH is ok. 6-9 hrs. ONE cup coffee in am. (more would rob my adrenalines) One or two teaspoons oil in evening.

Latest posts

Back