Too much light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenmentat

Reaction score
I just came from a friends house who about a year ago had a professional grow room builder construct a state of the art room for her. It was an amazing thing to see.. 48k BTU AC, 12 1000 watt lights, CO2, etc. From the start three tables were custom built for hydroponic but she decided she wanted to go soil so she has 5gl smart pots on the tables. So, my question.. Does she have too much light and if so is there anything she can do about it?

The equation I've used is 12 * 140,000 lumens = 1,680,000 / 154sq feet of table space (three tables each with four 1000 watt lights spaced evenly over them) = 10,909 lumens per sq foot. I've read that 2500 is minimal, 5000 is mid range, and 7000 is optimum, would nearly 11,000 be detrimental?

Thanks for the feedback!

I have never seen pics of outdoor plant near the equator wearing shades!
I didnt think there could be too much light!
W

Too much light or not enough plants. I vote for putting in more plants. Lol

To much light is not gonna hurt anything but the Pocket Book. To much heat might,,but with CO2,,probably be fine.
The Sun puts out 10,000 Lumens Psf I believe.

She could get by with less light, that is for sure. But, does she have too much light? IMO, no. And keep in mind that all that light does not stay completely over the tables--some of it disburses throughout the room, so you need to consider more than the sq footage of the tables--how large is the room that these are in?

The Hemp Goddess said:
She could get by with less light, that is for sure. But, does she have too much light? IMO, no. And keep in mind that all that light does not stay completely over the tables--some of it disburses throughout the room, so you need to consider more than the sq footage of the tables--how large is the room that these are in?

:yeahthat: good post THG

good point, THG
It's a 280 sq ft room... The big walk ways are part of what makes the room so impressive and fun to be in but it sure is a waste of light

greenmentat said:
good point, THG
It's a 280 sq ft room... The big walk ways are part of what makes the room so impressive and fun to be in but it sure is a waste of light

So, what she really has is 1,680,000/280 or 6000 lumens per sq ft.

Looks like she is a lot closer to under lit then over lit.:)

Latest posts

Back