too much stress on the little one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatvegan

Reaction score
hello all,

i am new to this forum, but plan on keeping in here quite often. :] as i have just started my journey into cultivation.

first question might be quite elementary, but i would definitely appreciate any help.

i started growing an australian blue seedling, but didn't pay too much attention to the stretch of the stem at first, until later reading a book i purchased specifically warning about weak stems, haha. go figure, well, my question is, have i let my little one grow too high? or can i transplant it into a bigger pot and put soil up further towards her leaves.

or generally, what can i do to make sure she survives?

thanks!
:)

jason

(the toothpick is barely pressed in the soil for scale purposes.)

EDIT
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html <--- Site rules
7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.

fatV3.jpg

fatV4.jpg

You need to fix the cause, which I am assuming is too little light. What lights are you using?

regular light fixture with a plant bulb in it for now..

bad i know.

what would you suggest on a limited budget, i already love this plant too much to let it die.

i started it with a heat lamp that was about 6 feet above it.

which is why i thought it stretched so high.

fatvegan said:
regular light fixture with a plant bulb in it for now..

bad i know.

what would you suggest on a limited budget, i already love this plant too much to let it die.

I am assuming by plant bulb it is the old style incadesent? The cheap answer is to get some CFL's, the more around it you can with your budget the better. I use a garage-style flourescent fixture that I got at Home Depot for $17, works great for starting seedlings. If you are already in "love", you should read up on lighting and get what you need. There really is no way around it and if you stay with what you have it will end bad...you just aren't going to be able to bud it properly. Check the site's grow guide, read it top to bottom!

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forumWOW/Full-Marijuana-Growing-Guide.html

Cfl's and shop lights work great for the vegative cycle as stated above.

but Hps lights are best for flowering ;)

if i transplant it, can i put soil up to above that little set of leaves and put a fan on it to get it up to strength?

or is that bad for it?

Your plant is stretching to reach the light; put it as close as possible without it burning the leaves. (My lite sits about 2 inches above the plant.)...And definately put more soil up to the pea leaves to stabilize the stem. - But, I don't know if a fan is neccesary at this time. (TBH, I wouldn't bother.)

Give it a little extra attention now, and your "girl" will be just fine. ;)...Good luck.

thanks so much guys!

:]

just to clear it up, can i cover the pea leaves with soil or is that a bad idea?

If it was me, when I transplant I'd put soil about half way between the first and second set of leaves and put a fan on it. The constant blowing will cause the stem to toughen up. An for sure as much light as you can get. Remember, these little plants grow outdoors in 'normal' life so they like the sun. The more light the better. jmo Good luck

:] thanks for all the support.

i'm going to get her transplanted and a little fan on her asap.

oscillating better for them? or straight on the plant but on a low setting?

Yes they are tall!!! you needed the light closer, Fluorescent Grow Lights are the best because they dont get too hot.. im not sure about transplanting and planting them deep... still transplant but move the lights alot closer, get a oscing fan lightly to make them strong then, IMO i would use the LST with them to get pleanty of light down the sides.. But only when they have strengthened up a bit.. Hope they work out mate,
CDM.

thanks cdm! :] hoping the same!

i'll keep you all updated.

possibly start a grow journal.

fatvegan said:
thanks so much guys!

:]

just to clear it up, can i cover the pea leaves with soil or is that a bad idea?

I don't believe you should bury the cotyledons (pea leaves). I've never heard it recommended. Always "just up to....", but I can't say for sure that it would harm it either.
DEFINATELY get a fan moving the air, just enough that you can see the leaves rippling or the plant sways a little. THAT will strengthen the stem before it falls over 'n dies.

Latest posts

Back