top first or bottom?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuman

Reaction score
in my experience, it has always been the top or upper portion of the plant that was ready first, but have a look at these, to me it looks as if the bottom will be ready first, the pics are labeled as to their respective location,
also it seems the last 3 weeks haven't been productive, kinda makes me feel like I'm wasting my time waiting

bottom.JPG

middle.JPG

top.JPG

Normally the top of the plants tend to finish first, but there are times when a few lower buds ripen before the rest. Your pics don't seem to be labeled, but the first two pics appear to be more mature than the bud in the third pic.

Alistair Young said:
Normally the top of the plants tend to finish first, but there are times when a few lower buds ripen before the rest. Your pics don't seem to be labeled, but the first two pics appear to be more mature than the bud in the third pic.
the pics go in this order, left=bottom, middle=middle, and right=top

also if I clip a few of the lower ones, wont that set harvest back like 2 weeks or so? keeping in mind nothing has changed in like 3 weeks

I guess it could slow down the finishing of the rest of the plant, depending on how many you picked. However, none of those look done yet. Do you have a little microscope to look at the trichomes?

Look for the milky white trichomes to begin turning an amberish colour.

The timing of picking off the buds is crucial to the type of high you want. (It can vary from strain to strain, but for the most part they start out clear, turn a milky color, then turn amber or light brown)

The different colours of trichomes signify different ratios of cannabinoids inside the glands, which, when smoked, will produce different highs, although sometimes there isn't much difference noticed by the user, but there still is. Sometimes the difference can be great as in being 'high', or being 'stoned'.

And since not all trichomes mature at the same time, picking buds off at various appropriate timeS, may be in need if you desire the same high from all the buds.

Trying out your plants product a little immature, and re-trying every 7 days giv'r'take, will help you decide which high you like best.

The rate and location of ripening also depends on strains, and a little to do with nutrients, among other external factors. (Nutrient deficiencies with immobile or mobile nutrients can cause certain areas to mature faster than others).

BioDynamic said:
Look for the milky white trichomes to begin turning an amberish colour.

The timing of picking off the buds is crucial to the type of high you want. (It can vary from strain to strain, but for the most part they start out clear, turn a milky color, then turn amber or light brown)

so about how long from the time they look milky till they amber up? cause the lower half has been milky for a while and the upper still clear

In all of those pics, that plant is nowhere near done... Looks like a heavy Sativa.. 11-14 weeks of flower most likley

emuman said:
so about how long from the time they look milky till they amber up? cause the lower half has been milky for a while and the upper still clear

Well, depends on the strain mostly, and grower's ways. Some strains' flowering period takes 2+ months to mature, some have 47 days of flowering time. One strain I know of has a 33-37 day flowering period!

The faster a plant matures (because of genetics, not manipulation) the faster the trichomes will change colour, and therefore, smaller length of time to wait.

From Clear to amber would usually be entire flowering period, and from milky white to amber, would be from around the middle of flowering to the end. (You may to have to do some research on your strain)

What strain do you have? Seedbank or street?

And it sounds like the obvious thing to do would be harvest the lower buds first, and allow the top to mature a little while longer.
I usually test out the bud before I pluck anyway, I gently snip a portion of the bud with some very small pointy scissors, and decide if I like the buzz or not, ... it's better to go by the effect than just by colours of trichomes, just because ratios or always going to be different even if trichomes appear the same colour.

But if they've been milky for awhile, at least a month I suggest try enough for a regular size bowl, and see how you favour it.

They are either nowhere near done, or you have a very underlit grow.

My Afghani #1 that I had for over 10 yrs, ALWAYS matured from the bottom up.

Latest posts

Back