toping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

adam420

I know what toping is and why it is done I just never did it ever. I was reading online that if you top a plant right in the first week of 12/12 you will get 2 big cola's on the plant instead of 1 almost doubling your yeild. Can someone help me with this.

the point in topping is:
indoor:
to keep ht. down.
Outdoor:
to hide that famous Christmas tree look.

Everything I have done or read shows no difference in yeild.
Pruning/training/supercropping is totallly different. ;)

if you top, you would probably get more smaller buds, rather then the big center cola, with the same yeild.
i like big buds

I find when a plant is topped it allows the next 2 branches to get to the same height as the top 1 (that was just topped into 2). So now u have 4 tops receiving the same amount of light. I really can't speak for the yeild, I've always topped. But imho I think it should yeild more. Why else top.. or lst... there would be no point but to keep it small.

the only plants i tip are my mothers,once ive got a clone im keeping for a mother to about 6-8 inches tall i take the centre out of the end of each branch,then i do this afew more times to get the plant really bushy so i can score allot of clones off it in one hit,usually between 30-40 .tipping a plant wont usually increase my yield with the strains i grow if im only growing small-average sized plants,you dont get those huge colas ,but if you want to grow a monster ive managed to get over 8oz off big plants,from memory the best ive managed off a plant that was tipped alot while vegging was 12oz oz dry bud,but they take way too long to grow imo,better off not tipping and growing a bunch of 2oz girls

oh definately.. but I'm pretty sure some thing lst or topped with say 8 tops... would make more then one not touched at all.

KADE said:
oh definately.. but I'm pretty sure some thing lst or topped with say 8 tops... would make more then one not touched at all.

If all other factors are the same, there will be no difference in yield between plants that are topped and those that are not.

As Mutt said, the only advantages are that the plant will look more like a bush outside and maybe not attract any attention and it will also be much shorter. Inside, it will use your grow space more effectively by allowing the plant to grow larger in area instead of being restricted by height and only having one central cola.

Also, some people like to have lots of little buds to use as "one hitters" when smoking powerful bud. You don't have to destroy a bud to make a one hitter that way. You just use the entire bud. I like that myself.

I understand the size issues. I would of thought that with more sun getting to the other shoots... in a lst situation because there is not as much foliage in the way may increase the yeild on those shoots.

I always thought that dry herb is directly proportionate to root mass.

So if you top and then this allows for a longer veg. then yes it will increase yield.

but if everything is the same (veg. time, stain ect.) the yield would be the same.

Canso said:

So if you top and then this allows for a longer veg. then yes it will increase yield.

but if everything is the same (veg. time, stain ect.) the yield would be the same.

I'd say Veg. Time is the key to getting huge yeilds. Also LST. but topping I have tried both ways with and without. Came out about the same. Just smaller colas. but selective training and long veg time with a huge bucket it would increase yeild. IMHO

KADE said:
I understand the size issues. I would of thought that with more sun getting to the other shoots... in a lst situation because there is not as much foliage in the way may increase the yeild on those shoots.

from what i've noticed. the plant expends little energy on lower branches that don't get light, and it will concentrate on the ones that do.
so you can have 1 large bud or 10 small buds sharing the same light and have the same yield.

Canso said:

there are so many things that come into play when doing this,sure ive had great returns off plants ive tipped and trained,BUT,it all comes back to time,i havent done this outside using the sun but under lights you can get the big yields it just takes alot longer and imo isnt worth it unless your grow space is limited and your time isnt.
as for the yield being proportional to root mass,not always the case,the plants i grow in my NFT system usually produce an average of 2oz each and the root mass can be nothing compared to 2oz plants ive grown in soil before.there are just so many variations when growing weed.

stevo said:
there are so many things that come into play when doing this,sure ive had great returns off plants ive tipped and trained,BUT,it all comes back to time,i havent done this outside using the sun but under lights you can get the big yields it just takes alot longer and imo isnt worth it unless your grow space is limited and your time isnt.
as for the yield being proportional to root mass,not always the case,the plants i grow in my NFT system usually produce an average of 2oz each and the root mass can be nothing compared to 2oz plants ive grown in soil before.there are just so many variations when growing weed.

you mention the word "time"..the longer in veg. the more root structure you will have.
The roots are large storage sites for excess energy from the leaves. The root system will decide how well the plant will grow and yield by the health and amount of roots(roots = stored energy, stored energy = yield)

NFT will have a larger root structure then the same plant in dirt. And your yield will increase accordingly.

Latest posts

Back