Torn meniscus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonp

Reaction score
I probably have a torn meniscus in my knee. Has anyone had that before? My knee went sideways, that was terrible. It must be what a compound fracture feels like. I have been on crutches for twenty-eight days. Now, I have to get an MRI and from what I have read it might require an operation. I hope not though.

I probably have a torn meniscus in my knee. Has anyone had that before? My knee went sideways, that was terrible. It must be what a compound fracture feels like. I have been on crutches for twenty-eight days. Now, I have to get an MRI and from what I have read it might require an operation. I hope not though.
You need to get the MRI if you still can not walk on it, MRI will show the tissue damage as opposed to bone damage (which common Xray will see).
Don.t mess around with your knees , you are far to young to have to get a knee replacement .
Did your orthopedic doctor say you should be doing phys/therapy ?
Sometimes with therapy the injury can heal itself, but if completely torn it needs to be surgically repair more than likely.

I had that particular injury repaired in 1996 . . . orthoscopic surgery that left 2 small half inch scars. Not sure how they do it now but I can't stress enough the need to listen to your doc post surgery and take it easy. My dumb ass felt so good post surgery that 2 days later I reinjured mine carrying fence posts when I should have been on crutches. Had I listened to the man and sat on the couch a couple of weeks I would have avoided 2 additional surgeries and a serious infection that resulted in permanent knee damage.

I had that particular injury repaired in 1996 . . . orthoscopic surgery that left 2 small half inch scars. Not sure how they do it now but I can't stress enough tehe need to listen to your doc post surgery and take it easy. My dumb ass felt so good post surgery that 2 days later I reinjured mine carrying fence posts when I should have been on crutches. Had I listened to the man and sat on the couch a couple of weeks I would have avoided 2 additional surgeries and a serious infection that resulted in permanent knee damage.
100% agree
My wife's Mother had to have knee surgery and afterwards she developed MERSA , seems that the Hospitals are loaded with it and they never guarantee you will not catch it during your stay with them.

You need to get the MRI if you still can not walk on it, MRI will show the tissue damage as opposed to bone damage (which common Xray will see).
Don.t mess around with your knees , you are far to young to have to get a knee replacement .
Did your orthopedic doctor say you should be doing phys/therapy ?
Sometimes with therapy the injury can heal itself, but if completely torn it needs to be surgically repair more than likely.
I have to wait until September 10th for an MRI. I initially injured my knee falling on some rocks while I was trying to get out of a thunderstorm. So, hopefully no knee replacement needed.

I had that particular injury repaired in 1996 . . . orthoscopic surgery that left 2 small half inch scars. Not sure how they do it now but I can't stress enough the need to listen to your doc post surgery and take it easy. My dumb ass felt so good post surgery that 2 days later I reinjured mine carrying fence posts when I should have been on crutches. Had I listened to the man and sat on the couch a couple of weeks I would have avoided 2 additional surgeries and a serious infection that resulted in permanent knee damage.
I am sorry about that. I do not know anyone that has injured this muscle. It hurt, so I am being good about using the crutches and wearing the knee brace. My son has had two knee operations. He had to get some cartilage trimmed both times. His still swells occasionally.

Surgery isn't that bad. Rehab is a pain but absolutely necessary....do it.
I think it is arthroscopy which is not bad. I will see what the MRI shows, but from what I have read if it is that muscle it will need surgical repair. I just had back surgery in February and had six weeks of therapy for that. Maybe, I can go in the pool that isn't to bad.

I've had a few (4) ops on my knees to repair old sports injuries which sorted me out.
They are so good with these today. The recovery can be a bit of a pita but bear with it and follow the docs advice and you should be good to go - good luck

I've had a few (4) ops on my knees to repair old sports injuries which sorted me out.
They are so good with these today. The recovery can be a bit of a pita but bear with it and follow the docs advice and you should be good to go - good luck

Thanks for replying! I am glad you are doing alright. I have a bone disease. So, I am hoping everything heals quickly for me. I catch myself getting up and walking without my crutches already by mistake.

Latest posts

Back