Tourists to be banned from Dutch cannabis cafes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hxxp://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/tourists-banned-dutch-cannabis-cafes-article-1.977216

BY Afp Relaxnews
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Non-Dutch residents will be banned from cannabis-selling coffee shops in southern Netherlands from January 1 to spare locals from the nuisance of drug tourism, the justice ministry said Tuesday.
The centre-right government of Prime Minister Mark Rutte has since September 2010 been weighing a "cannabis card", reserved for nationals and obligatory when visiting one of the country's 670 licenced coffee shops.
"The measure will come into force for the (southern) provinces of Limburg, North-Brabant and Zeeland, the provinces most affected by drug tourism, on January 1," justice ministry spokeswoman Charlotte Menten told AFP.
Under the new policy, which some have warned could drastically curb tourism revenues, licenced coffee shops will be considered private clubs with a maximum of 2,000 members limited to Dutch residents who are older than 18.
Menten said the measures would come into force in the rest of the country in January 2013.
The policy aims to cut down traffic jams, nocturnal disturbances, and the abundance of drug pushers catering to the millions of foreign tourists drawn to the Netherlands by its relaxed marijuana laws.
Coffee shop owners have come out against the measures, citing expected losses in revenue.
The European Court of Justice ruled in December that banning foreigners was justified "by the objective of combating drug tourism and the accompanying public nuisance".
The Dutch government also plans to introduce a policy, coming into force in January 2014, requiring coffee shops to be at least 1,200 feet away from schools, to keep drug consumption away from children, Menten said.
Though technically illegal, the Netherlands decriminalised the possession of less than .18 ounce of cannabis in 1976 under a so-called "tolerance" policy.

Read more: hxxp://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/tourists-banned-dutch-cannabis-cafes-article-1.977216#ixzz1djDx4NVx

Guess I wont ever make it to Amsterdam. Oh well. I wonder if this is something the locals wanted or the government.

They may rethink their decision when the tourist are a no show........ imho

They are going backwards while we try and go forward....:confused:

Guys read the first line of the article again.... It says southern Netherlands not Amsterdam.... Everything I have read on this subject implies that this restriction applies to border towns, not Amsterdam...

The problem is people just keep crossing the borders into the border towns loading up on mj and then heading back to their own country with illegal goods...

Just the Border town's for now. By 2013 it will be all of the Netherlands. I also think they will be sorry when they lose all of the tourism.

Yes, even the 'Dam will b shut dwn to tourists. It's only a matter of time before the "people" get what they want. Yeah right :rolleyes:

:peace:,

7greeneyes:(

guys were talkin about 10 billion euros a year in tourism to the Dam.... thats $14 billion USD's worth of tourism... I just cant see them passing on all that money to ban tourists from visiting coffee shops in Amsterdam...

Personally, I think it's the good ole USofA putting pressure on the Dutch gov. For what I don't know, but that's just weird to all of a sudden not want all that money.

powerplanter said:
Personally, I think it's the good ole USofA putting pressure on the Dutch gov. For what I don't know, but that's just weird to all of a sudden not want all that money.

If true...... the beans will be next....... watch out Canada...... most likely next.

Then will have to get them from Canada, and those guys are expensive.

i am with powerplanter. something is going on at a larger level than we can see. all this anti-pot press in the past month seems more than coincidental. the Dutch begin implementing their backwards law and anti-medicinal raids happen in 2-3 states in USA.

normally i am not a conspiracy freak but the last month's events have had a wacky intentional feel.

maybe Elvis is coming back so they're hiding the stash? :icon_smile:

powerplanter said:

They (DEA) hit hard the other day in my ever green state. Proof that they don't want to hit the real enemy , the Cartels. That would be too much work...lol. sorry offtopic and :mad: but involuntarily entered rant mode :rolleyes:...

:peace:,

7greeneyes:~P

powerplanter said:
\

Do you really think the Dutch government would do this due to U.S. pressure, I highly doubt it.

Ive been there 4 times...............if they lose the coffee shops....i wont go and neither will the touring college kids that are usually the customers!!!

Latest posts

Back