transition from veg / flowering!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefullybud

Reaction score
ok so basiclly my only question is, say im on a 21/3 schedule for my veg.. Im getting rdy to make that switch. My questions are.... first ive heard for veg ythat recommended sq ft to lumens is 3k. Im right on the dot with that (using 3:4 bulb / 4 foot fixtures at 60k lumens total. On my switch i will be using a 1000 watt hps leaving me at about 25k lumens over the reccomendation (buld creates 160k lumens keep in mind this is hearsay from other succesful growers so will their be any benifit to having this overkill in lumens or even more importantly will it effect them poorly.. p. S I do plan on adustinghow far the light stays from the plants to avoid burn. this is a 23 sq ft room.. Have to say with t5's im very impressed seeing amazing results (hydrofarm designer serious recommend seriously to anyone looking to go the t5 route) anywaaays... im looking to change to flowing (12/12) if my likes right all day with the exception of off at 4 a.m and on and 7 a.m Im wondering when i decide to flower do I need to mind my current light schedule cause if so it will make caretakin a huuuuge pain in the ***. so in a nutshell 160k lumers for a 23 sq foot good or bad?! light schedule switch good or bad or even any trick i could use to minimize stress. any help appreciated pleaseeeee! =D P.P.S Ive heard MH lights can speed the growth of your plants at the expecent of more height then density.. any of this trure? thx for reply

oh yea strands are northen lights / cole train / sharks breath and i believe one is either jack horror or cheese.. should be evident during bloom =D

p.s when i first started I had a timer issue early on, causing plants to show sex fairly early.. Now that im getting closer and closer to switching for flowering though im getting large amounts of preflowering... very long white hairs and what not. Would wanting to remain in veg for a week or two longer (on the bigger plants) hurt my potency? or should i switch now as they are showing ready..

:
hopefullybud is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh also, Right now im at about 2 ft ranging to 2 and a half foot of height. if I were to want more growth at a faster rate im assuming transplanting to always have room for more root growth is a must? thinking its time to move to big buckets. Also as far as trimming what is the best route? I had always been lead to believe the less stress the better making trimming out of the question.. but would trimming to clear to nodes be more benificial then giant watering leaves taking the light? thanks for the answers in advance

thats an old pic, will update after work gotta fly. thx for info ill have to reead it later! pics commin soon !!!

cool will work it out.. keep me posted i have more questiosn just runnin later for work lol peace

IMO, it is not overkill (where did you find a 160k lumen 1000W bulb?). I am running 2 600W putting out 180,000 lumens in a space that is smaller than your space (19.5 sq ft) and do not consider that overkill.

I would keep the lights on time the same. make the dark 7pm-7am.

There is absolutely no reason to "mind your current light schedule" when going to flowering. You can make your light and dark time any time that is convenient for you.

upload1.jpgupload2.jpg

sorry for the quality, pics off a forward facing webcam isnt easy need to buy a new digi camera haha. the lumens is a claim from this hortilux bulb / digital baliast combo i bought for 400 or somethin around that.. tbh think ill stick to the cheaper bulbs next time around as I plan on hanging vertical T5's for lower growth during flowering as well... Glad to hear the switch isnt something I need to sweat and can make suitable to my needs (although the 7pm / 7am sounds good anyways so thats the route ill prolly go) thanks for the tips guys and gals! ooooh yea... general organics nute kit, anyone familiar with it? been using for the past 3 weeks with pretty nice results but as far as a resevior it proves to be impossible due to yeast.. anything i should be careful about using them? how long is the shelf life in the bottle and is their idea of a light and heavy feeding right or does anyone have a better water/nute ratio they have proven

yea unfortunently I agree, they are gonna be monsters but this is my first grow they kinda stuck their for the rest of today as i am setting up my other 2 t5 fixtures in a different room for vegging the lil guys in the room with them :(

I doubt that you are going to get 160k lumens from a 1000w hps. 140k....... maybe. That puts you at just a hair over 6000 lumens/sq ft with a 23 sq ft room. And THATS with the light darned near touching them. You lose intensity quickly when you put distance between the light and your canopy. Should be right at the minimum and do OK though. I prefer to run my lights at night and go dark during the day. Im with THG on not worrying about when to start your cycle to 12/12. Pick a time that youll be able to have the lights on when you can tend them and when you can take advantage of cooler temps to run the lights. I run a 1000 over a 14 sq ft.

hopefullybud said:
sorry for the quality, pics off a forward facing webcam isnt easy need to buy a new digi camera haha. the lumens is a claim from this hortilux bulb / digital baliast combo i bought for 400 or somethin around that.. tbh think ill stick to the cheaper bulbs next time around as I plan on hanging vertical T5's for lower growth during flowering as well... Glad to hear the switch isnt something I need to sweat and can make suitable to my needs (although the 7pm / 7am sounds good anyways so thats the route ill prolly go) thanks for the tips guys and gals! ooooh yea... general organics nute kit, anyone familiar with it? been using for the past 3 weeks with pretty nice results but as far as a resevior it proves to be impossible due to yeast.. anything i should be careful about using them? how long is the shelf life in the bottle and is their idea of a light and heavy feeding right or does anyone have a better water/nute ratio they have proven

I think using the T5s with the 1000W may be counterproductive. The T5s have to be very close to the plants to be effective and they could actually interfer with the reflected light from the 1000W.

I did not have any kind of luck trying to use General Organics in hydro. I always recommend starting with weak nute solutions and working up. No one nute schedule is going to be right for all strains. Some strains are nute hogs and some aren't. You are going to have to find a nute schedule that works for your plants. I generally follow the ratios on the bottle, but adjust the amounts depending on what my girls are asking for.

yea been playing it by ear the northen just loves thm. as for the others their hot getting hit to hard and backing of watching the tips.. will see how iit goes thx guys!

oh and for a hyrdro setup its strongly unrecommended to do so as once mixed they will last about 3 days b4 fermination even keeping ariated. will see i suppose! havent seen any burn just yet minus the cole train but i dunno.. thx agaain

hopefullybud said:
oh and for a hyrdro setup its strongly unrecommended to do so as once mixed they will last about 3 days b4 fermination even keeping ariated. will see i suppose! havent seen any burn just yet minus the cole train but i dunno.. thx agaain

I don't understand what you are saying here....what is unrecommended?

I think if you drop your light closer to your plant canopy (and keep an even canopy) you will have less stretch on your vegging girls. You can get those T5s right down on top of the plants without burning them. In fact, mine do not burn at all unless a leaf actually comes in contact with the bulbs.

Oh All i meant was I could see doing a hydroponic setup using the GO nutes could be less then great. Using them setup with just a water resevior for my soil grown the solution begins to fermintate within 3 days always gotta mix as used myself.. even when I do ariate the res. like it recommends... def been having to adjust per plant on the strength kinda getting the swing of it.. more-so now that their in flowering they are adjusting nice.

Could be mistaken on the lumens, My intentions for the T5's where to side mount against the walls.. never to obstruct the HPS although thats all an after thought as I have pulled them for more important things. thanks for the advice its much appreciated.

The T5s have to be within inches to be effective. I would not think that using them with a 1000W would be of much benefit, even as side lighting.

Latest posts

Back