Transplant questions. New, please help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reapr555

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I'm new here and new to growing marijuana. Since I've come to embrace the amazing subculture that accompanies marijuana smoking, It's long since been a goal of mine to raise and enjoy my own little babies. I'm young, just made it into my twenties, and after having to pay way too much for sub-par weed for years, I have finally decided to give growing a shot. I've spent countless hours researching and surfing the internet and now have 6 little plants each about a week old growing in some miracle grow soil in small plastic cups. They are hidden away under a very bright white fluorescent drop light and what i believe to be a full spectrum fluorescent light (I used it for an Iguana I had, is this a bad idea? The light emitting from it is a purplish/pink color somewhat like a tanning bed.) They appear healthy, however its difficult for me to really know, but I don't have any questions about them, yet. The one friend i trusted to tell about my endeavors and to show my hidden growing area to just happened to know someone who recently found a plant growing by a stop sign near a road, dug it up about 3 cubic inches on all sides, and brought it home in a dog dish. He didn't wish to raise it, but couldn't pass it up, so after hearing of my current attempt at growing, the plant was given to me to raise!
Herein lies my question: The soil the plant is currently growing in looks like some muddy dirt that would be found near a ditch. However, the plant appears very healthy. I watered it as soon as I recieved it and the next day the leaves were perky and reaching for the lighting. Should I transplant it into a bigger pot with fresh, mineral-rich soil? Or should I just fertilize it and let it ride in the nasty soil until its ready to transplant outside? (transplanting outside is the ultimate goal, as I am new to this and can not find a suitable place to hide and grow a mature plant indoors.) The plant is about 9 or 10 inches tall, with several leaves mainly on the top, the longest of which extend to about 1 and 1/4 inch.

Any and all help will be appreciated. I just joined this forum, and plan to be here all throughout the life of my new plants. Give me a week or so and I'll get some pictures up of my progress.

Whats up Reapr555. Welcome to the forum. First let me tell you get rid of the light you are using it doesn't give off the correct spectrum of light to grow marijuana. You should try getting some Compact Flourescent Lights or a HPS High Pressure Sodium light. As far as the plant your friend found if it looks healthy i wouldn't mess with it until you transplant it back outside.

Ok, I have two different lights though.... one is an extremely bright, yet low heat fluorescent light, bent around a few times to make it compact (its a drop light, gotta be small). A very pure looking white light is given off from this, which easily illuminates a whole room. The other light however, glows pinkish purple and dissipates over a matter of about 5 feet; it's considerably less bright w/ a little more heat. The pinkish purplish light I thought would be good since it emulates the sun or something for an iguana, but I can see why it would be bad from reading up, I will get rid of it. However... is the white fluorescent drop light of no use either? The plants seems to be responding to this light combination fairly well, although its only been 3 days of 24hr lighting. I'm on a non-existant budget, which prevents me from immediately getting the proper lighting, so I need to buy a good 3 days time to get what I need... which light should I leave going till then?

Also, what would you suggest about feeding the plant that was found? I hadn't anticipated worrying about food in the first weeks of growth because the soil my seedlings are in has miracle grow nutrientd infused already. The soil this other plant has with it likely has only enough random nutrients in it to keep it going for only a little longer I'd guess.

Reapr555 said:
Ok, I have two different lights though.... one is an extremely bright, yet low heat fluorescent light, bent around a few times to make it compact (its a drop light, gotta be small). A very pure looking white light is given off from this, which easily illuminates a whole room. The other light however, glows pinkish purple and dissipates over a matter of about 5 feet; it's considerably less bright w/ a little more heat. The pinkish purplish light I thought would be good since it emulates the sun or something for an iguana, but I can see why it would be bad from reading up, I will get rid of it. However... is the white fluorescent drop light of no use either? The plants seems to be responding to this light combination fairly well, although its only been 3 days of 24hr lighting. I'm on a non-existant budget, which prevents me from immediately getting the proper lighting, so I need to buy a good 3 days time to get what I need... which light should I leave going till then?
IMO i would get rid of the light that gives off the pinkish purple light and keep the other. Do you have any pics by any chance? Also i wouldn't give your plant that you found outside anything as long as it looks fine.

well, see... I don't know what a fine marijuana plant looks like... heh. The leaves are bright green, and I know what other healthy plants look like... but it looks different from all the other pictures i see. Its tall, and all the leaves are primarily in a tight bush at the very top. I'm looking for my friend who has a digital camera so I can get the pics, hopefully by this evening I can get some uploaded. thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back