Transplant when???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew7

Reaction score
I have some seedlings in 5" net pots growing in hydropots. The roots are already coming out everywhereafter less than three weeks -but this is my first hydro grow and I don't know if or when I'll need to transplant. I know it's normal for roots to show, but how big a net pot will I need for three foot plants (I plan on keeping them between 30 to 40" or so)

Your help is very much appreciated, Matt
:holysheep:

Matthew7 said:
I have some seedlings in 5" net pots growing in hydropots. The roots are already coming out everywhereafter less than three weeks -but this is my first hydro grow and I don't know if or when I'll need to transplant. I know it's normal for roots to show, but how big a net pot will I need for three foot plants (I plan on keeping them between 30 to 40" or so)

Your help is very much appreciated, Matt

Is this like DWC? I only did hydro once...my first grow...and I never transplanted...by the end I had a tote full of roots...

I keep mother in 6" and they air trim on the roots, for the size you r groing sounds like your good but you need to tell your method of hydro nothing comes to mind that would hurt you. I do use 29% H202 @3ml / gal. every 10 days. Helps with the algae in an flood & drain on the moms. Hope this helps!:)

Thanks, I thought I would have to transplant to 8" net pots (which I will probably use for my next grow). I'm growing four plants in a bubbler/bucket system and I have two 6" air stones inside my five gallon, black buckets. I'm using 400watts MH enclosed inside a 3x3, reflective space so I will probably have to keep my plants down to medium size anyway. Next time I will grow two larger plants instead (I've been thinking about Barney's Farm LSD bud ...sounds fun but they grow very large if not controlled).

I have learned to keep the water level just barely touching the hydroton. I use a hydroton/perlite mixture that really holds water and the plants were staying way too wet when I had the baskets 1" down into the water.

H202 huh? Do you just use over the counter Hydrogen peroxide or do you use food grade? I know the OTC peroxide is stabillized with Nickel and some other stuff, but I don't know that it would be detrimental in any way.

Thanks again to everyone, Matt

I may try some H202 when my plants get a bit larger because it should kill off the nasties and promote the good stuff that I want with added oxygen it provides.

i bought a 35L supply 35% H2O2 i use that it's very nasty stuff when concentrated you should NEVER get it on your hands, ut looks harmless just like water, i had white itchy spots on my hand by only touching the inside of the lid so use vineyl gloves when i wana take some then i dilute it. by 1/2 water and store in bottle in the dark, it degrades if stored in light. i bought it from industrial chemical supply company.

Matthew7 said:
Thanks, I thought I would have to transplant to 8" net pots (which I will probably use for my next grow). I'm growing four plants in a bubbler/bucket system and I have two 6" air stones inside my five gallon, black buckets. I'm using 400watts MH enclosed inside a 3x3, reflective space so I will probably have to keep my plants down to medium size anyway. Next time I will grow two larger plants instead (I've been thinking about Barney's Farm LSD bud ...sounds fun but they grow very large if not controlled).

I have learned to keep the water level just barely touching the hydroton. I use a hydroton/perlite mixture that really holds water and the plants were staying way too wet when I had the baskets 1" down into the water.

H202 huh? Do you just use over the counter Hydrogen peroxide or do you use food grade? I know the OTC peroxide is stabillized with Nickel and some other stuff, but I don't know that it would be detrimental in any way.

Thanks again to everyone, Matt

You might want to read up some more on DWC. The roots are supposed to grow through the net pot in a big way. You do not need to "transplant" these. Five inch pots are large enough for a large plant. I would also advise you to get rid of the perlite--this is only going to cause you problems. The hydrotron by itself is enough. If you have enough air going through your nute solution, you will not need to add H2O2. I have never had to add it with my DWC buckets. Is each plant in their own bucket? Do you have a pH meter? An EC meter?

Each plant has it's own five gallon bucket with two air stones -and I know the roots will grow down into the reservoir in a huge mass. You're so right about the perlite, it was the two plants that had the perlite mixed in that stayed the wettest. I had to pull them out for a day and lower the water level so it barely touches the hydroton. Now they're starting to grow quickly again. I won't ever use perlite again, except for rooting clones in.

Thanks again for all your help, Matt

Oh yeah, I don't have a meter yet. I intend to order one, but until then I'm using half R/O water and half distilled water inside my buckets. I'm counting on it being a much lower ph than I'd get from the tap. I think even just straight R/O water would be fine, but I don't want to take any chances. If I used just distilled water I'm afraid the ph might be too low (?) so I decided to mix the R/O filtered water with the distilled water until I get a meter (hopefully in the next few weeks). The plants are three weeks old so I'll probably put 1/4 strength Fox Farms hydro nutes in the water as well. I hope this all sounds right. Thanks again, Matt

Latest posts

Back