Trichomes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks! OK, I need a little more info here. I am not sure how to check the trichomes. The white hairs on my plants are starting to turn yellow. I have a magnifying glass but not sure what I'm looking for. It is time for another feeding, but I am under the impression that I shouldn't feed them when they are close to harvest. Is this correct? The buds are getting nice and thick and firm, but I want to harvest at the right time. Help please?!

tanks!!

Hi Crater,
You need to get a 60x power lens. Radio shack has a microscope that i can't stand to use, but other people like it. It is 12 bucks or so. I ordered a 60x dealy from ebay that I love, but it takes a few weeks to get here.
How many weeks in flower, what are you growing?

Rosebud said:
Hi Crater,
You need to get a 60x power lens. Radio shack has a microscope that i can't stand to use, but other people like it. It is 12 bucks or so. I ordered a 60x dealy from ebay that I love, but it takes a few weeks to get here.
How many weeks in flower, what are you growing?

I put them into flower on Feb 16th. I only had one 400 HPS lamp up until this last week when I added another 400. And I have no idea what I'm growing. I started with my saved seeds so ....your guess is as good as mine. I do have several different strains from the difference I see in their leaves, but I'm not sure what they are. I only saved seeds from the real good stuff though. I can see stuff with my magnifier, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for!
Thanks for your input!

I think the harvesting curing section has pictures. Have you tried there?

craterlake said:
Hi folks! OK, I need a little more info here. I am not sure how to check the trichomes.

trichs are the things on the buds and leaves that look like sugar. when you look at them through a magnifing glass they should be clear,cloudy and amber colored. you want to cut when you see more amber color than cloudy or clear. i like to get as close to 50/50 amber cloudy. JMO good luck and if you think they're ready wait another week and look again

Your plants have only been in flowering for 5.5 weeks so most strain take around 8. Read up like Hick said, and look at the pictures. Clear and cloudy give a more Up high, amber more couch lock. Good luck.

Hick said:

Yes, I looked at all those pics and I don't see that on my plants yet! I do see what looks like sugar on the leaves by the buds though, so I guess I'm not ready yet to harvest. I do believe that I read somewhere that you shoudn't feed the plants nutes in the last two weeks before harvest. Is this true? I think I will give them another dose today as they are getting dry and I can see from the pics that I have at least a couple more weeks to go before things get serious!

tanks for the feedback!

Rosebud said:
Your plants have only been in flowering for 5.5 weeks so most strain take around 8. Read up like Hick said, and look at the pictures. Clear and cloudy give a more Up high, amber more couch lock. Good luck.

I looked at all the pics and have determined that I am not ready yet!! Or my plants aren't anyways!! LOL! I do see what looks like sugar on the leaves by the buds so I'm getting there! My magnifier may not be strong enough or my eyes aren't! I can see some of what is in those pics, but not a lot at this time. As I mentioned, my white hairs are turning yellow, so I may be getting close!!

tanks for the feedback!!

the "hairs" (pistills) can die/turn for various reasons. Including stress, pollination, handling them, nutrient deff'./lock, "lotsa" things.
IMO/E you need at least 30X magnification to "see" the trichomes. If you have a good camera, with macro, and possess some photographic skills, you might be able to view them well enough, too.

As stated, get the magnifier and cut a few leaves off to check, not many and only the only the ones with the "sugar" (small 3 leaf clusters on the bud work for me). Make sure to take leaves from a sampling of buds so you get the idea of how the trichs are on several areas of the plant!

It is hard to tell at first, make sure you have the leaf on a flat surface and slowly dial in the view until you can make out the differences. You're looking for the "bubbles, or water droplets" at the top of the tall trich stems, just zoom in and out so you can see the differences.

I do this daily at about the 7th week or so and on....

Magnifier...I of course mean a scope with at least a 60x zoom....

Hick said:
the "hairs" (pistills) can die/turn for various reasons. Including stress, pollination, handling them, nutrient deff'./lock, "lotsa" things.
IMO/E you need at least 30X magnification to "see" the trichomes. If you have a good camera, with macro, and possess some photographic skills, you might be able to view them well enough, too.

I believe I'm seeing them now. It looks like sugar on the leaves. On closer inspection, one of my plants pistils are turning brown, the rest seem to be turning a little yellowish. So...I think I'm getting closer!! Yeah!! I know...patience is a virtue!!!

tanks!

Roddy said:
As stated, get the magnifier and cut a few leaves off to check, not many and only the only the ones with the "sugar" (small 3 leaf clusters on the bud work for me). Make sure to take leaves from a sampling of buds so you get the idea of how the trichs are on several areas of the plant!

It is hard to tell at first, make sure you have the leaf on a flat surface and slowly dial in the view until you can make out the differences. You're looking for the "bubbles, or water droplets" at the top of the tall trich stems, just zoom in and out so you can see the differences.

OK, I see them and they look clear. So I have a ways to go!

tanks!!

craterlake said:
I believe I'm seeing them now. It looks like sugar on the leaves. On closer inspection, one of my plants pistils are turning brown, the rest seem to be turning a little yellowish. So...I think I'm getting closer!! Yeah!! I know...patience is a virtue!!!

tanks!

You need to relax...you are less than 6 weeks into flowering. You probably have at least 2-1/2 to 4 weeks or more to maturity. Most strains take over 8 weeks to mature and many 10-12 weeks. The color of the pistils have nothing to do with the maturity of the plant. However, bagseed can mean hermies and brown pistils at this stage of growth could be pollination. Are you keeping a good eye out for hermies?

The Hemp Goddess said:
You need to relax...you are less than 6 weeks into flowering. You probably have at least 2-1/2 to 4 weeks or more to maturity. Most strains take over 8 weeks to mature and many 10-12 weeks. The color of the pistils have nothing to do with the maturity of the plant. However, bagseed can mean hermies and brown pistils at this stage of growth could be pollination. Are you keeping a good eye out for hermies?

You've again just said exactly what I was thinking! You keep saving me all that typing! :D

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Hemp Goddess again."

So I'll thank you here!

The Hemp Goddess said:

I know!! I'm getting excited! It's not a patience thing, I'm very patient! I just don't want to mess up at this point!! No sign of hermies. I check everyday! Twice a day as a matter of fact! The leaves on most of the plants are looking rather sugury (if that's a word!) I took some pics but they all have that yellowish glow from the lights so not much detail shows. But I'm watching them very closely!!
I'm not sure what macros is when talking about a camera??

tanks!!

People call em all sorts of names...

IMO they look like close to a fungal spore

Frosty!

Oh, the macro is usually a setting on digital camera's whose icon is a flower, tulip maybe. It allows for detail in close ups much better than "normal" settings.

Stay frosty dudes ;) W

Roddy said:

OK, I dug out an old OptiVisor that I had purchased years ago to help me when I was welding. I wore bifocals and it was difficult to weld under a truck when I had to bend my head way back to see, so I got this gizmo with a #5 lens and boy do the trichomes really pop now!! They are definitely clear!

tanks for the feedback!!

woodydude said:
Frosty!

Oh, the macro is usually a setting on digital camera's whose icon is a flower, tulip maybe. It allows for detail in close ups much better than "normal" settings.

Stay frosty dudes ;) W

Thanks, I will check my new digital camera and try and take some decent pics!!

Latest posts

Back