Tricomb Viewing- Time to Harvest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reesche

Reaction score
Hi again you guys.... Sending a few attachments showing where my current crop is at...... My main question to all of you is..... "Is it time to Harvest"?

These are shot with my new digital microscope. https://www.amazon.com/Jiusion-Magn...=1587748881&sprefix=Loupe+100X,aps,223&sr=8-9

Cool little unit. Able to shoot/manipulate in PS/ show other people what I am seeing and can post as attachments. Focusing is difficult because the focusing ring is ON the camera it's self. So I purchased a little stand and case to take car of that. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFNQ8MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, please view the tricombs and tell me what you think before I flush with water and hang them. To my eye, they look mostly clear with a few cloudy and some with the little redish/brown inside some of the tricombs

Question: Can you guys see the little redish/brown inside some of the tricombs? What are they?

Thanks again!
Reesche

Attachments

• 9X6-7.jpg
    9X6-7.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 9X6-8.jpg
    9X6-8.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 9X6-9.jpg
    9X6-9.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 9X6-10.jpg
    9X6-10.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 43
Cool new toy,

You still have time. Is it autoflower? Is it sativa or indica?

I would wait. The 'icicles' are nearly all clear with a few cloudy. A little more amber is what I like. If you pick now, the high will be more heady, but weaker. It is getting closer though.

You could wait, take a small branch, wait until later, then do it again, wait...again. Until you dial your perfect in..

Doing it that way, when you smoke it, you have to taste green, but get a sample of the effects. When happy with your results, chop and hang.

My first plant, i cut where you are now. I wish I had waited.

Thanks. I think you really need the beefier stand when using this little digital microscope.

Not auto-flower. I don't know if they are Indica or Sativa....

I don NOT want the "blasted-couch potato high" I would rather start projects and not finish them....HA!

Reesche

Not sure what you mean...... do not fertilize? I'm using flowering fertilizer. Just water them and flush?

Not sure what you mean...... do not fertilize? I'm using flowering fertilizer. Just water them and flush?
1st you dont know what your growing
2nd you can force tricombs
3rd you can harvest early and late on the same plant.
Its all timing with flush and last 2 weeks. You are about to hit a sharp learning curve in Horticulture and Pharma.

You have a camera. Take pictures of a branch, then harvest that one branch. Wait a few days, then repeat. That visual log will help you in the future to be more expert.

'High' school.

Last edited:
Welcome to Horticulture 101. Know what your growing! Give proper environment for that specific variety. Be willing to take chances.

If you think your ready to harvest Stop! Give it zero light for three days, then look at the tricombs. Then harvest

Wow Richard.... that sounds pretty negative! Sorry for my questions!?!??

Types: Tangerine Dream, Tangie, Blue Cheese, (3) Girl Scout Cookies.

After your flush you can harvest part early for that head high and part late for the glue high.

Why not have both? Who smokes one type of weed? People that dont take risk. And they are boring.

So sorry, not to sound negative, im just a stait shooter, facts guy.

Now your talking facts, you do know what your growing! Now you know what the genetics is made up of.

Sativa dominate harvest late, indicas harvest a tad earlier.

Try doind a double harvest for 2 different smokes on the same plant. Its nice to see the difference between an early and a late on different varieties too. That way in the future when you are growing you will know what YOU want out of your plants for the buzz you like.

If you realy want to learn? Get regular seed learn Male from female and how to catch those herms too. Then take a plant all the way to viable seed. Then grow that seed. You just passed Hort 101.

I like your choices. Did you clone or just vege out strait to flower

Personally I like to take mine when the vast majority of trichomes are milky white, not a big fan of going into a bunch of amber. Obviously sativa dominant plants flower longer to finish and indicas shorter but if you want to judge properly by looking at the trichs that's really kinda irrelevant.

Last edited:
One answer I'm having a hard time getting is WHERE to check the trichomes. Is it the sugar leaves or the flower itself?

The sugar leaves seem to always have more/faster Amber than the flower. So, here's what I do:

1. Look for about 70% of the hairs to change color.
2. Start checking the trichomes at this point.
3. Pull the plant when ALL cloudy and the first signs of amber on the FLOWER.

Looking at your pics, it looks like the sugar leaves. There is some Amber, but a lot of clear too. A good friend of mine who is a master grower told me "when you get to 10% amber, it's already too late." So, i pull mine at the first few ON THE FLOWER.

I have been harvesting a plant the past 4 days. Certain tops were ready, but not whole branches. I tried this with my last plant I harvested and the lower parts turned out better/fatter than the tops. As others have stated, it works. I'm like you, I dont want couch lock buds. I've gotten nothing but compliments on my timing so far - with lots of reading and people here helping me be patient. You're good, but will be better with a little more time.

I have the same microscope. I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow before taking down parts of 2 of my plants. Did yours come with a phone adapter? I can hook mine directly to my phone, or use the computer/tablet. Not bad for under $30

I've always clipped a small piece of leaf off right against the bud and scoped and gone by that. There are still a buncha people out there who think they should have heavy amber in the trichomes but there's still people out there wet trimming too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
microscopes,,, been growing weed since the late 70s. Harvested fantastic weed without ever looking through a loop or micrscope to harvest. Harvested creeper, sleeper and tie a string to me im floating away.
Its a flipping weed folks its not hard to grow at all. Try growing a coconut or a violets orchids or ferns.

The ONLY hard thing about growing weed from seed to harvest is keeping the Government out of it and all the idiots who watch TV for daily brain washing sessions. Turn off the Government and unplug your T.V. and enjoy your harvest.

Latest posts

Back