trimeter question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockydog

Grower at Heart
Reaction score
Are ec and ppm the same thing? I am buying my meter tomorrow morning and wanna make sure I get the right one. Any suggestions

They are not the same thing... but basically do the same thing and one reading can be calculated from another. EC/TDS/PPM is basically the same.

ok so you guys think this will work? May I ask what the ec is, and where it comes in while growing herb.

TDS is the measuring of the amount of salts in a solution. For alot of applications the amount of salt is indicitive of the levels of other stuff in a solution. TDS/PPM meters sold for gardening and aquariums figure the amount of salt in Parts Per Million by measuring the Electrical Conductivity of the solution under test. So a PPM/TDS meter is a EC meter that converts the EC value into PPM values. There are alot of descriptions online about why and how to measure PPM/TDS or EC so google for them if you want alot more details.

EC is a measure of Electrical Conductivity from two probes 1cm apart. 1 EC is = 1 microsiemens, to convert from EC to siemens multiply by 1E-6. EC can be converted to PPM by multiplying by 500. PPM can be converted to EC by dividing by 500.

What the doc said... basically all the same crap. (but important)

Latest posts

Back