trimming leafs for bloom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hick said:
THE lions share of photosynthesis occurs in the big fan leaves.

Interesting, I cannot argue there. However, if this were true in it's entirety, then buds would develope in a very balanced and symmetrical order, and we know they do not. If light comes in more on one side of a cola then the other, the cola will be much larger on that side of the stem, no matter how large or gregarious the fan leaves might be. Further more pistils are fractional and hardly worth notice, while the chlorophyll rich calyx is what make up almost all of the bud, at least the part that counts (arguabley along with leaf matter. Some plants quite a bit more than others, obviously, not disregarding trich coverage). I think that stating "buds[calyx]/pistil do not and can not utilize light" is stepping out of science a bit.

I am not suggesting that defoliation is profitable as I do not practice it in flower. Only suggesting that this topic always seems to be mired down in a hundred years of opinion. It amazes me the torture we can put these plants through and, yet, this particular topic is sincerely taboo... For me, the jury is still out...

It's good chattin' with you again Hick.. Feel like we haven't been in the same thread in forever.. ;)

I will remove the bottom 1 / 4 of the plant, which is almost the same. Remove sucker branches or popcorn bud branches, as they are called to help with the air of a down low, in my opinion, help to focus the rest of the branches 3 / 4 of the plant energy.

nvthis said:
Interesting, I cannot argue there. However, if this were true in it's entirety, then buds would develope in a very balanced and symmetrical order, and we know they do not. If light comes in more on one side of a cola then the other, the cola will be much larger on that side of the stem, no matter how large or gregarious the fan leaves might be. Further more pistils are fractional and hardly worth notice, while the chlorophyll rich calyx is what make up almost all of the bud, at least the part that counts (arguabley along with leaf matter. Some plants quite a bit more than others, obviously, not disregarding trich coverage). I think that stating "buds[calyx]/pistil do not and can not utilize light" is stepping out of science a bit.

I am not suggesting that defoliation is profitable as I do not practice it in flower. Only suggesting that this topic always seems to be mired down in a hundred years of opinion. It amazes me the torture we can put these plants through and, yet, this particular topic is sincerely taboo... For me, the jury is still out...

It's good chattin' with you again Hick.. Feel like we haven't been in the same thread in forever.. ;)

well nv, I suppose technically you're right ;), if ut's green, it can/does photosynthesize. But to what extent?.. Personally, I dont believe I have ever witnessed a bud tht didn''t develop 'symmetrically' around the stem. As long as there isn't something physically blocking it's growth. Like the meristem.
When I first started growing, my mentor preached "pluck, pluck, pluck..." I would sometimes spend an hour in a guerrilla patch, pinching off healthy fat fan leaves. AND...of I fo say so myself, they did quite well. But, they do "MUCH" better since I stopped "pulling their teeth" ;).
They will take, survive extensive abuse, I just don't believe any abuse "benefits" the plants..
I guess I have to go again, with Clarke...;)
There is really no confirmed method of forcing increased THC production. Many techniques have developed through misinterpretations of ancient tradition. In Colombia, farmers girdle the stalk of the main stem, which cuts off the flow of water and nutrients between the roots and the shoots. This technique may not raise the final THC level, but it does cause rapid maturation and yellow gold coloration in the floral cluster (Partridge 1973). Impaling with nails, pine splinters, balls of opium, and stones are clandestine folk methods of promoting flowering, taste and THC production. However none of these have any valid documentation from the original culture or scientific basis. Symbiotic relationships between herbs in companion plantings are known to influence the production of essential oils. Experiments might be carried out with different herbs, such as stinging nettles, as companion plants for Cannabis, in an effort to stimulate resin production. In the future, agricultural techniques may be discovered which specifically promote THC biosynthesis.
In general, it is considered most important that the plant be healthy for it to produce high THC levels. The genotype of the plant, a result of seed selection, is the primary factor which determines the THC levels. After that, the provision of adequate organic nutrients, water, sunlight, fresh air, growing space, and time for maturation seems to be the key to producing high-THC Cannabis in all circumstances. Stress resulting from inadequacies in the environment limits the true expression of phenotype and cannabinoid potential. Cannabis finds a normal adaptive defense in the production of THC laden resins, and it seems logical that a healthy plant is best able to raise this defense. Forcing plants to produce is a perverse ideal and alien to the principles of organic agriculture. Plants are not machines that can be worked faster and harder to produce more. The life processes of the plant rely on delicate natural balances aimed at the ultimate survival of the plant until it reproduces. The most a Cannabis cultivator or researcher can expect to do is provide all the requisites for healthy growth and guide the plant until it matures.

Hick said:
When I first started growing, my mentor preached "pluck, pluck, pluck..." ;)

We all knew you was the main mother plucker :D

Hick said:
But to what extent?.. Personally, I dont believe I have ever witnessed a bud tht didn''t develop 'symmetrically' around the stem.

This has been a point of focus for me for a bit. Yes, to what extent? And I might add here I was speaking strictly from an indoor POV.. I have never intentionally photographed this, but will see what I have.

just had to take off 5-6 top fan leaves off my 6 1/2 foot PK, something (mountain beaver) got into the roots, top started to wilt, rest of plant is healthy. I guess that is one example of when you need to take fan leaves off, better removed than to cause mold.

BarkBuster20 said:
just had to take off 5-6 top fan leaves off my 6 1/2 foot PK, something (mountain beaver) got into the roots, top started to wilt, rest of plant is healthy. I guess that is one example of when you need to take fan leaves off, better removed than to cause mold.

MOUNTAIN BEAVER? oh my. Really? Mountain Beaver? Up in your plant? Dang.

I think they also call taking the lower growth "Chicken Legging" the plant.

Latest posts

Back