trimming leafs for bloom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cutthoatish420 said:
How much ofvtue leaves am i supposed to trim during bloom

In Bloom? None, not a single leaf, nada, zero.:eek: :bolt:

Oh geez.......not this debate yet again. I am keeping my mouth shut...:)

cutthoatish420 said:
?????? What about right before bloom

Most people subscribe to the belief that you shldnt remove fan leaves at all....some believe it helps get light to places that are being blocked by fan leaves.

I can tell you that most here believe the first.....the leaves are the solar panels and removing them only hurts your yield in the end.

I myself will remove the bottom 1/4 of the plant and that is pretty much it. Removing the sucker branches or popcorn bud branches as they are sometime called helps with airflow down low and in my opinion helps concentrate the plants energy on the remaining 3/4 of branches. I do that a week before the flip. Jmo

Reactions: FUM
None. Why would you believe that you should trim leaves before bloom? The fan leaves are the solar panels that take light, nutrients, and co2 and turn it into THC.

lol defoliating is what most growers do. idk where you're from but in northern california and oregon all experienced growers defoliate. otherwise you end up with light airy nothing buds on the inside. you dont need the yellow leaves, if your plant stresses from you pruning it thats just sad.

Removing the fan leaves from a plant, is comparable to pulling all of someones teeth, then giving them steak. It isn't beneficial. The 'buds/pistlls do not and can not utilize light, only the green portions "Photosynthesize" (hXXp://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookPS.html) and the large fan leaves provide for the most of it.

LOL--I always kind of thought of it like cutting off your legs so you weighed less so you could run the marathon better.

Psst--I never cut fan leaves off and I never end up with light airy buds. IMO, you are far more likely to get light airy buds if you cut the fan leaves off. Many will, however, trim off entire branches from the bottom part of the plant to encourage more growth at the top. I personally do not know any experienced growers who strip the leaves off their plants. Plants will drop yellowing leaves when they have pulled all the nutrients from them.

Hick said:
The 'buds/pistlls do not and can not utilize light, only the green portions "Photosynthesize" (hXXp://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookPS.html) and the large fan leaves provide for the most of it.

So buds do not have chlorophyll, Hick? ;)

Simple Question to ask yourself.

If you remove the biggest lushest leaves from the top, are you positive the light is shining down the new hole directly on the ...um....? Lower, smaller, less productive parts of the plant...like the stems. ;)

Dont cut a leaf ever. Not unless it dies.

I'm going along with Hamster Lewis on this one. Growing in green house (GH) I have trouble with PM. I also take out the bottom 1/4 of the plant (popcorn's buds) to allow more air flow through the plant(s) and (hopefully) imitating PM. If I don't I'll have PM all over the whole GH/patch. I'm all with keeping all the shade leafs that your able to,as long as the PM stays in check. I've got at least one fan or more per plant in our GH. Jmo. Green blessings to you all.

removing lower branches is a method called lollipopping this can be beneficial, but removing upper leaves is never wanted.

Hick said:
Removing the fan leaves from a plant, is comparable to pulling all of someones teeth, then giving them steak. It isn't beneficial. The 'buds/pistlls do not and can not utilize light, only the green portions "Photosynthesize" (hXXp://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookPS.html) and the large fan leaves provide for the most of it.

so which is it? they dont utilize or they do?
tht link doesnt prove anything either
someones misinformed lol :p

I take some of the lower small branches off myself (the very small offshoots from major branches), from some plants and not others. Doesn't seem to be much difference that I can see, except loosing those few popcorn buds that I dont want anyway (by the time your down to trimming popcorn on Outdoor, your wanting to use it for hash or not even bother with it) I NEVER take a leaf off my girls unless it is yellow and drying up. Hence I have yellow leaves on my plants. The first season I grew, I was stricken terrified that my plants were dying when they yellowed. They weren't they were doing exactly as they should.

Good Luck to you, my advise is leave the leaf always.

Maarick said:

My money says its you.:p

Trimming lower growth late in veg or early in flower is not the same thing as removing healthy fan leaves because your confussed as to how the plant uses the light it is provided.

nvthis said:
So buds do not have chlorophyll, Hick? ;)

the "green" parts of plants contain chlorophyll, "pistill" aren't green. .. ;)
AND...... the small portions of leaf in the buds has very little surface area to provide for photosynthesis, and should be protected by trichomes, as well.
THE lions share of photosynthesis occurs in the big fan leaves.

Looks like over 100 years of combined experience saying "no".. don't cut em off.... :confused2:

Maarick said:
so which is it? they dont utilize or they do?
tht link doesnt prove anything either

LOL--are you saying that Hick is wrong?

I was going to inform you of your misinformation, but I see that Hick has already addressed it. Only green parts of a plant photosynthesis and pistils are not green.

I often take off small lower branches, too. This is entirely different than removing fan leaves.

Latest posts

Back