Trimming water leaves 3 weeks into flower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgrow91

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thanks for hour help last post. I am currently in my 3rd week of flower. And everything looks fantastic. Not a bad leave on any of them and the buds look great. But I trimmed all of them the other day pretty bare. Not to crazy only big water leaves. And I have been getting different responses from everybody. I would love to hear what you guys think about all of it. Thank you.

are you saying you trimmed the large fan leaves???

if so you shouldnt have, buds dont need direct light, fan leaves do, they then feed your buds, they are like solar panels collecting energy to feed buds.

Bad idea, because of what dman has already posted. Plus I do not like doing any trimming once in flower. I do not like giving them any undue stress. I do trim all the lower branches(lollypop them) while still in veg but once in flower nothing.

Not a good idea IMO as well....I do all my trimming of the lower portion of my ladies in veg not flower. And I don't remove fan leaves so much as lower branches. Keep an eye out for hermies if you did it three weeks into flower. Jmo

As everyone above has said it's not the best idea.

Some people think that the more light you get on the leaf's around the bud the bigger the bud will get but this is a common misconception. Think of it this way, if you have your roof spotted with small solar panels on every other meter and then bigger ones over the top covering the whole roof, Would it be beneficial to take away the bigger ones covering the whole roof so the smaller ones get light?

No it wouldn't, the more leaf that is exposed to the light the better for the plant. Fan leaf's are big and out there because they pick up and process the most energy.

may be stupid question but what are "water leaves"?

Bgrow91 said:
And everything looks fantastic. Not a bad leave on any of them and the buds look great.

If they looked good why would you do that?

PuffinNugs said:
may be stupid question but what are "water leaves"?

We are presuming they meant fan leaves.

Bgrow91 said:
Hi guys. Thanks for hour help last post. I am currently in my 3rd week of flower. And everything looks fantastic. Not a bad leave on any of them and the buds look great. But I trimmed all of them the other day pretty bare. Not to crazy only big water leaves. And I have been getting different responses from everybody. I would love to hear what you guys think about all of it. Thank you.

This was an unwise thing to do and I cannot imagine where you would be getting different responses. EVERY experienced grower KNOWS that the fan leaves are where the majority of photosynthesis takes place. I cannot imagine any experienced grower anywhere who would think that it is okay to remove the majority of the fan leaves (I would not be taking these people's advise). Sorry, but removing the fan leaves was a bad decision and will most likely have a large detrimental affect on your yield. This is not just anecdotal info, science backs this up.

I will also jump on the band wagon and say that removing fan leaves is a no no, not just for photosynthesis but this is where hormones are stored and could make your plants reveg or turn hermi. Questions like this should be asked before the act not afterwards. JMO.

I had a completely different experiance than all of you.
i was thinking the same as you for the last 30 years of growing. my harvest was always on the low side,4lbs with 2k hps.100% indica[klar]. the past 2 harvests,i removed the fans just to try something different. it worked,increasing the yield by almost a lb. i thought the one harvest was just a fluke,so i did it with the last harvest, the same thing.increased yield.
maybe its just the pheno that i am growing. no changes to enviroment,reusing the organic soil for the second year so far,indoors.

funkybud said:
I had a completely different experiance than all of you.
i was thinking the same as you for the last 30 years of growing. my harvest was always on the low side,4lbs with 2k hps.100% indica[klar]. the past 2 harvests,i removed the fans just to try something different. it worked,increasing the yield by almost a lb. i thought the one harvest was just a fluke,so i did it with the last harvest, the same thing.increased yield.
maybe its just the pheno that i am growing. no changes to enviroment,reusing the organic soil for the second year so far,indoors.

No offence, but that doesnt make any sense, there are alot of these threads on the web, pics would help.

Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke said:
Removing large amounts of leaves may interfere with the metabolic balance of the plant. If this metabolic change occurs too late in the season it could interfere with floral development and delay maturation. If any floral inhibitors are removed, the intended effect of accelerating flowering will probably be counteracted by metabolic upset in the plant. Removal of shade leaves does facilitate more light reaching the center of the plant, but if there is not enough food energy produced in the leaves, the small internal floral clusters will probably not grow any larger. Leaf removal may also cause sex reversal resulting from a metabolic change.

This is science not guessing

Got to agree with the duck on this. Maybe there were other factors at play. Getting an extra lb from destroying your plant makes no sense at all.

I have to call B s. Once fans are dead or plucked yield suffers and growth slows. A pound more I can not believe for one second if you removed all fans

I also smell something fishy. For starters, 4 lbs from 2 1000W is almost a gram a watt. There is no way that I believe that someone stripped the fan leaves and got a pound more--over a gram a watt.

What we are saying is backed up by science--it is not just anecdotal. Cutting fan leaves off a flowering plant is like cutting your legs off before the marathon believing that you will run faster because you weigh less.

it was my wife who said;
"why don't you cut those big leaves off, we dont grow for leaves,we grow for buds." my reaction was the same as yours. i dont think so.that will make the buds smaller.she convinced me to try it once.it worked so i did it again.same thing. klar is a g13 backcross,from my experiance they are a heavy producer in the first place. wicked stone and reaks to all heaven.
i grow with one plant per square foot in a 9 x5 area. it works for me. if i could pics up i would.
it doesn't make sense at all.i do agree.

Latest posts

Back