Trimming while in flower.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussum

Reaction score
I have had a couple of my girls in flower now for going on about two and a half weeks. I had four going, now I am down to two, thanks to hermies. Anyway, these two last plants refuse to sex, but they won't stop growing. The light is on 12/12 and the coloring is exact for flower, but they won't stop growing up. My chamber is six foot tall, and they are at about five feet tall right now. Every night they grow at least another inch. The lights are maybe a half inch away from them so they aren't stretching to get light.

Is it ok to snip the tops off and have them shaved back a bit? Will this hurt the plants badly? I have never had this problem before so I have no clue how to deal with it. I know if I top them during veg the other branches will just start to grow in its place and no harm will be done, but is the same true for flowering?

Thanks!

When your plants do start flowering they are going to grow 2.5 times thier current height, how old and how tall were they when you put them under 12/12?

I put them under 12/12 and they were prolly MAYBE a foot tall. MAYBE. They just keep shooting up. I think they were a little over a month old when they went into flower. They won't stop. They've been in flower for over two weeks now and they have grown triple their size. I knew they were going to grow, but is it natural for them to be growing this quickly before showing their sex?

my skunk x haze plants were 10 inches when i flipped to 12/12..theyre now all more than 30 inches tall.although ive been told this strain is a stretcher.i believe theyre still stretching.i checked my room for light leaks and couldnt find a single leak.so im pretty much in the same boat as you.i raise my lights today.i think if they grow another 6 inches im gonna have no choice but to lst them. (never chop your tops during flowering ,if you have no other choice,just tie them down)

The lights are cfl 1600 Lumens each. I have about 9 in there right now. There are absolutely no light leaks. The chamber is sealed shut and locked away inside of a room within a room. I'm pretty much just stumped at what is going on. But anyway, if I top them if I need to, is that going to cause a lot of damage?

EDIT:
K, I'll try to tie them down as best I can without snapping the stems.

how far from the lights are the plants? Are they 3 feet or are they 5 feet tall now?

The plants range from half an inch to an inch away from the lights. They were exactly a foot when they went into flower. Two weeks and a few days later they are now pushing five feet!!!

They are a random strain we picked up in jamaica.

jamaica strain? I got good idea, grab strings, and tie down the buds, the shoots will keep growing!! that means you got more buds, do not cut it off!!!!

be patient worth more buds , these strains got good shoots!!, it will grow head to the lights when tied the top down!!!

I tied it down safely and now the other shoots are growing up just as quickly. Haha, the plant looks like it got stuck in the middle of a spiders weave because I had to tie back all the stems. haha

pussum said:
The lights are cfl 1600 Lumens each. I have about 9 in there right now. There are absolutely no light leaks. The chamber is sealed shut and locked away inside of a room within a room. I'm pretty much just stumped at what is going on. But anyway, if I top them if I need to, is that going to cause a lot of damage?

EDIT:
K, I'll try to tie them down as best I can without snapping the stems.

My guess is that lack of light is your problem, you have enough light for 2.8 sq.ft

Get a HPS it will make all the differance.

Some pics would help here!

how much distance between nodes are ya getting? If it is throwing nodes evey inch or so I would say let it go!!! and grow on.. but if you are getting several inches between nodes.. then you have a serious stretch going on.

Growdude said:
My guess is that lack of light is your problem, you have enough light for 2.8 sq.ft

Get a HPS it will make all the differance.

14400 Lumens total is not enough?

Its about five feet tall, three feet wide, and maybe four feet deep.

Latest posts

Back