Trying a Different Cloning Method...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Music
Reaction score
I have been using my Home Built Cloning Tote and been getting roots but by the time there is enough to transplant the growth up top has shriveled and died and even though they have roots they linger and die eventually. Not often enough one will take and I will get a survivor. After thinking about my cloning method I am inclined to try something else. I run air stones and what not but they don't do squat until there are roots to utilize what they do. I decided to go minimalistic and just put the cut into some hormone and then into some soil in a Coke Bottle. I know clear pots go against the usual advice but they won't be in here once I see roots so no problem. Plus I have grown in clear 24 ounce cups without issue.
So here is some pics. I will update as time goes on and see if this is a viable option.

View attachment IMG_20140920_210908.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140920_210918.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140920_210922.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140920_211437.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140920_211440.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140920_212132.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140920_212219.jpg

That's a pretty cool idea but why not just put them in plastic starter trays? Instead of 1 dome for every plant you just have 10 or 12 under 1 dome.

That's a pretty cool idea but why not just put them in plastic starter trays? Instead of 1 dome for every plant you just have 10 or 12 under 1 dome.

The only starter tray I have is for hydro and have had similar results. Roots down low but up top goes sad and bad. I drink Coke like a fiend and have plenty of 2 liter bottles to use.

My 11 clones this round have done phenomenal going from cut to CloneEx Gel straight int Sunshine (Coco / Perlite / Peat / Microcor Haze). Matter of fact, the 3 sessions of clones that have gone directly in with this method, I have not lost a SINGLE one. I've done my bubble cloner and multiple times lost entire batches! I've checked, re-checked and RE-CHECKED my damn bubble cloner, and everything has been spot on. I've gotten 13/22 clones at my best out of that thing.

There's just something about taking a cutting and going right into medium. I'll never switch now.

Good luck to you Hammy and welcome to the light side...forget the dark side. lol :aok:

Haha... Thanks Dr. I agree. I think right into the medium might be best. I will see.

I drink Coke like a fiend and have plenty of 2 liter bottles to use.

LMAO..... I love your attitude.

Do you have bird feeders and other items made from 2 liter bottles around the house? You can attach your hose and poke holes in the bottle and make a sprinkler. Or..... well I could go on and on. LOL You've probably done them all.

Do you poke holes in the container bottoms?

If tops (or bottoms) of plants are suffering, wouldn't it be more likely temps or humidity or soil or air or something other than the container?

Once my roots start growing, the plant growth takes off. The older leaves that the cutting were taken with may die off but there is always a ton of new growth.

View attachment containers.jpg

Hamster, that is similar to the Super Simple Cloning method, If you have enough stem in the medium ( 5 or 6 ") you don't need a dome, they get enough moisture from the medium. Best way to clone for me and it is fast.

Yeah, I also do nothing for a dome when I clone. Every time I tried using my cloning tray and dome with rapid rooters, they would keel over and die.

But also, maybe it's much different with different climates. Biggest factor, certainly.

Your right about the climate being a factor Fang.

I have always used trays and dome for 40 years, almost. I only use the dome for a very short time. I almost always get 100%.

Even the Critical Kush I just cloned had a near 100% rate.

You are by no means a novice at this so asking you what soil and all that is moot. My clone closet is a very steady 77F to 81F and about 40 - 50% humidity outside the dome.

99% inside the dome.

Dome comes off every day for a few hours. Mostly on at night or all day on days when I don't have much time to tend my plants.

In about 2 weeks the domes come off for good and, by then, the plants all have some new growth.

I use 2-2bulb shop lights with old T12's

2 small fans blowing air around inside the closet but no inlet or exhaust.

As for soil, I used a few things last time and they all worked fine but the best was a 50/50 mix of seed starter and potting soil (I used Fox Farms Light Warrior and Happy Frog). But, for decades I just used the soil I was going to plant in.

Don't know what else I can say. You're a 10x better, more experienced grower than I. You would have all the basic bases covered. There must be something I am doing that you're not.

IMO the most important factor is the mother plant health hence the clone's health. second comes the climate. I only use dome for like 3 days, bubbler or rockwool made no real difference in rates for me, which is why i chose rockwool for simplicity :48:

My simple cloning method makes use of 3" coco coir pots, Sunshine Mix #4, and good old fashioned rooting powder.
Fill pot with soil.
Poke hole in soil with a pencil.
Tap rooting powder into hole.
Take cutting, scarify slightly, wet, roll in rooting powder.
Put the cutting in the hole and firm up soil slightly.
Pots go into an opaque storage container (mini greenhouse) under the lights.
Keep a good eye on `em.
Close to 100% success rate.

Yooper, extremely cool use of old refrigerator parts. I have tons of places where I could utilize shelving like that. I live in an extremely small place--the entire county is very sparsely populated. At our landfill (LOL--which is only open 2 days a weeks) we are allowed to paw through stuff and take things we need or want. In fact, the dump operators will take good usable things and set them aside for those that need them. We jokingly, but lovingly call the dump "The County Mall".

Hamster, I am going to give that a go. I am still having problems cloning.

Multi--when I do the your rockwool method, I always seem to get them too wet and end up with mold or too dry and they wither and die. Any words of wisdom on how to keep the right amount of moisture?

Hey there THG, I suggest that you give yooper's coco method a try, coco holds moisture superbly, it will probably be much less fuss to keep the moisture at the right level. tip: flush the medium very well before, since it normally carries salt residues

Thanks Zem. I will order some coco. I am going to try going directly to a medium. Like others here, for some reason, I am having bad results with my bubble cloner.

Order Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 please THG. Would love you to give that a whirl. :) Just coco will work, and work fine, but I think a bit of perlite and microcor haze added with it really do help. You don't want the coco to lock up so tight that roots don't want to pass through it. Every time I use straight coco it seems the roots struggle a bit, so my goal is to always at least add perlite.

:tup:

I'm still at 100% success rate since doing cut / clonex dip / into red solo cup of Sunshine / add straight water, method. Just took some more a couple weeks ago, and didn't even expect them to take... they never fell over once. hah.

I <3 Sunshine.

"I ain't happy.... I'm feeling glad, I got Sunshine.... in a bag"
-Gorillas

THG,
Glad you like my "salvage shelves".

Dr. GF,
Sunshine Advanced Mix#4 gets my vote. On my sixth grow with it, luv it.

Latest posts

Back