Trying Soil... Is This Good Stuff ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixx

Reaction score
Ive been growing almost a year now, and to this point have only done Hydro... with exception to the 3 week old bagseeds I have in the microgrow. Id like to try soil a few grows and see how that compares to Hydro.
I bought the 2 bags pictured here which I have heard both mentioned numerous times.
1- Is the soil good, and should I add some perlite, and the dolomite to help with Ph, or is the dolomite not needed ?
2-I need a Ph meter for the soil... Can someone recomend something reasonably priced, And 6.5 is what Im aiming for in soil correct ?
S1-750.jpgS2-750.jpgS3-750.jpg

I am new here and on my first grow but I can tell you the FFOF is a great soil and pre ph balanced. a little hot for seedlings but a great soil after theyre over 2 weeks old.. Hero

I run that same soil. I didn't add anything to it. Only PH'ed water and nutes then feed.

I'd get a good PH meter for your water, not the soil. They're not really reliable IMO.

One thing to add about that soil, is that its pretty hot. I'd not use it for seedlings or fresh clippings. Adding the perlite wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't have any trouble running the straight FFOF.

I pop my seeds then put in either fox farm light warrior, or even the miracle grow seedling soil is good. I like the light warrior better, but the price and availability of the MG is better.

If you are going with soil, that is for sure among the top choices.
You do not even NEED nutes while vegging.

I have used FFOF for years, outside for flowers and inside for pot. I like it. green mojo, and welcome to the organic dirt farmer, from an organic dirt farmer.

I would recommend using both the perlite and lime. Although a lot of people do just use the soil straight. Based on my own experience and observations, I would start adding veg nutes, working up to full strength after about 3 weeks if you don't flower sooner. It is hot and will burn fresh cuttings and seedlings. I have read of a few people using a bit of un-nuted soil at the top of the pot to allow seedlings and cuttings to get a little bigger before the roots hit the OF. It burnt my clones a bit but they survived and have thrived in it to this point.

The lime will prevent pH problems and adds some minerals that the plant can use. Add 1 cup per cubic ft of soil.

I like for my soil to completely dry out between waterings and perlite will speed that process up. The FFOF I'm using is mixed with about 20% perlite and I will use more next time, maybe 50%. I have the time/motivation to water a few times a week, some may not.

Irish said:
six, i bought a 30 dollar digi hannah ph meter on ebay 4 years ago, and changed the battery once after 3 years of use, and it does just what it is intended to. its adjustable and simple. you just have to store it in tap water...

you say you grow hydro, so if you have a ph meter for your system already, why not just use that?

welcome to dirt farming man. imo, my weed taste better in dirt. alot better...peace...
Just to clarify... I have only just under a year of growing experience, and have been a budget grower since the beggining... I used a drops kit for my hydro(5Gal. DWC), not a digital meter... that wont work for soil will it... as I would need to test runoff as well ?? Or could I get way with just Ph my tap, then add nutes ??
Also this bag of FFOF is 1.5 Cubic Feet... If adding perlite and the dolomite is beneficial and will help maintain Ph I will do it... How much of each should I add to if I wanted to mix this entire 1.5 Cu Ft. bag ??

Thankyou for all the quick replys.

hello,everyone ,I am damjy,it is my first post in this forum,I think it is necessary to make a short introduction,Don't you think so?I am a new member and I join in you just now,I am so glad to be here.Have a good time .

DM613 said:
hello,everyone ,I am damjy,it is my first post in this forum,I think it is necessary to make a short introduction,Don't you think so?I am a new member and I join in you just now,I am so glad to be here.Have a good time .
Bro lose the SPAM link in your signature.....live links are not allowed....let alone from a spammer promoting some site.

If you really want to save money. And switch to soil application. Running organic and recycling the medium will lower your cost per gram signifigintly. Just need to be able to find the amendments at a feed store and a couple on eBay. Don't need a PH meter either. The money you save on the meter, the ph up and down, will almost pay for the amendments.

Sixx said:
Just to clarify... I have only just under a year of growing experience, and have been a budget grower since the beggining... I used a drops kit for my hydro(5Gal. DWC), not a digital meter... that wont work for soil will it... as I would need to test runoff as well ?? Or could I get way with just Ph my tap, then add nutes ??
Also this bag of FFOF is 1.5 Cubic Feet... If adding perlite and the dolomite is beneficial and will help maintain Ph I will do it... How much of each should I add to if I wanted to mix this entire 1.5 Cu Ft. bag ??

Thankyou for all the quick replys.

1.5cups of ground dolomite lime and maybe 1/2 cu ft of perlite should do the trick.

You don't really need to worry about the runoff if what you put in is pH balanced.

pH your tap going in. If anything, get aquarium drops to remove the chlorine. I'll say it again: you can not pH these soils that are pre-loaded with pH adjusters and buffers. You can, though, make yourself crazy testing run-off.

Make sure the peeps you're listening to haven't forgotten to have fun with this sport. Too many people seem to enjoy making it seem like work.

DM613 said:

this being the fourth user name you have registered in order to SPAM our site, I am prepared to contact your isp (rdns.ubiquityservers.com) about the abuse.
How would that smoke in your pipe you waste of oxygen???
..........:rofl:

Hick said:
this being the fourth user name you have registered in order to SPAM our site, I am prepared to contact your isp (rdns.ubiquityservers.com) about the abuse.
How would that smoke in your pipe you waste of oxygen???
..........:rofl:

Nice--Hick's trying to revive the lost art of subtlety. Don't hold back, man, get it out.;)

back to the thread, ffof is great stuff although as they say it is kinda hot for youngins, i water real good before putting seeds in and have had no problems

Found this at my local Garden Center... Will this work ?
L1.jpgL2.jpg

If so... I think Im almost ready to drop my freebie SAGE in a glass water tonight.
I just need to ensure I dont over do it on the Lime... If this stuff gets the Ok from you guys Im gonna mix the whole bag of FFOF with an 8Qt bag of Perlite, and 1.5 cups of this Lime.

Whoops... I thought I deleted those pots from this post LOL... Hope you guys Like'm :)

Attachments

• P1-750.jpg
    P1-750.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 35
Home depot carries that. Way to big for your short term needs. If you have home depot nearby. Ask them if they have Lilly miller super sweet ground lime. Think it's 25lb bag for like $9.

I personally have used straight FF Ocean Forest. This year, I have amended last years soil (adding lime and perlite, and nothing else), and am not buying new. I understand adding perlite to your new soil, but why do you feel you need to add lime? I found lots of adult worms in last years soil, Im hoping the lime does not bother them.

Im with the guys above though on the OF being a bit hot for seedlings. You may notice brown patches on your young plants/seedlings from over nuting (you may or may not) when using straight OF for them.

nouvellechef said:
Home depot carries that. Way to big for your short term needs. If you have home depot nearby. Ask them if they have Lilly miller super sweet ground lime. Think it's 25lb bag for like $9.
So, Is that a "No... Dont use the stuff I have" "It will nuke my plants" ??
Or I can use it... Its just not the best choice ??

Thx for the quick reply.

It will take months to break down. So no. When your plant needs it, it won't be available. Or I should say the soil needs it :)

Latest posts

Back