Trying something different what do you think

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burner420

outdoor cultivator
Reaction score
So I been have trouble getting it right not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong.... Im going to try to mix fffof with natures organic super soil and perlite and vermiculite... should I need anything else??

A couple of thoughts but with the disclaimer that I still haven’t gotten it right. After using fox farms souls for a while, my next purchase will be roots organic. I think FF may have lost its way.
As far as mixing soils, I mix my FF currently with basic promix BX, it doesn’t bring much nutrition to the party but the soil drains/dries better and it’s allowed me to play with the ratios with less variables.

another thing I’m considering is taking a swing at some of the super soil mixes, a bit more of a pain to have to buy “more stuff” but I have been watching a lot of talented organic growers have great results so it has peaked my interest.

I also use MG potting soil some times for Vegging with Fox Farms Calmag,,and then i add FoxFarm Big Bloom for Flower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to always use MG... But i always grew out side until I was robbed blind right out of my own yard.... Now I'm growing indoors have a ton of money tied up in my tent and lights and inlet and exhaust fans... I just don't feel im getting the results I should be getting.... Thanks for the response guys...I was hoping with this mix putting the super soil on the bottom as they say I shouldn't have to feed at all or very little in flower.... I have used the ffof last grow.... It was fine until I fed em and I mixed fert like a third of what they tell me...

The ffof does infact have perlite in it but not enough in my opinion to drain as it should...

I use Sunshine Mix #4, which I believe is now called Pro Mix. This has no nutrients in it. I sprout my seeds in it and grow from there. I have had some outstanding results using Advanced nutrients.

I have always used Sunshine #4 with 25% perlite mixed in.. I also put 1'(petlite) on both the top and bottom of the pot. Keeps everything dry on the top and bottom.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts but with the disclaimer that I still haven’t gotten it right. After using fox farms souls for a while, my next purchase will be roots organic. I think FF may have lost its way.
As far as mixing soils, I mix my FF currently with basic promix BX, it doesn’t bring much nutrition to the party but the soil drains/dries better and it’s allowed me to play with the ratios with less variables.

another thing I’m considering is taking a swing at some of the super soil mixes, a bit more of a pain to have to buy “more stuff” but I have been watching a lot of talented organic growers have great results so it has peaked my interest.
My next 4 plants will be in Coast of Maine Platinum soil, and the use of tea. Can't wait👍😎 lots of fun.

Last edited:
happy frog soil is good for seeds or clones for about a month w/o addition for fert imo, when watered with em1, camg+ and molasses. i also add a 50/50 mix of perl and vermiculite at 1part and 1 part ewc to 2 part hf soil. after a month they get repotted into a supersoil. getting ready to mix up a batch now

So I been have trouble getting it right not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong.... Im going to try to mix fffof with natures organic super soil and perlite and vermiculite... should I need anything else??
R/O water will and is key when I'm doing a live soil run. If using reg. Water, could run it to unforseen shenanigans.
It's a touchy go the first couple but so worth when you nail it down.
Good luck my friend

happy frog soil is good for seeds or clones for about a month w/o addition for fert imo, when watered with em1, camg+ and molasses. i also add a 50/50 mix of perl and vermiculite at 1part and 1 part ewc to 2 part hf soil. after a month they get repotted into a supersoil. getting ready to mix up a batch now
Great to see a longtime Member like Doc posting. 👍

well perlite as we know is for aeration and vermiculite is for water retention. you say they work against each other, but do they? i think not. without the vermiculite i'd be watering 3x's a week. perlite is to keep compaction at bay and aerating that's it. been doing it for years without a hitch. my plants don't droop due to over/under water and i water MAYBE 2x's a wk in 3.5gal smart pots with 30-36" plants. perlite hardly retains water and thats a fact.

so after writing this i did a 2 second search and found this: How to Boost Your Yield Using Vermiculite and Perlite | OutsideModern he's not the only one stating similar facts. i do disagree from experience that vermiculite is not that good at aeration. in high levels i'd agree and that's why i use the 2 together. i'm sure there are things that you do in a grow that i'd cringe at also.

Last edited:
Well looky here,,ppl that can actually agree to disagree on things. Nice to see adults in the house again. Very healthy for ppl have a choice.
I myself don't nor have i ever used Vermiculite so im out on this one. And the debate continues.😁

Latest posts

Back