Trying to maximize yield

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I have noticed a problem with my grows and am looking for advice from you more experienced growers.
I started in a small tent and maxed out at a 1 x 1 x 2m tent and I can't go further for the time being.
On one grow, I had 8 plants in there in 11L pots and they crowded each other too much. On another grow, I had only one hydro plant in there and it was massively bushy, but that was probably more due to being in hydro than soil.
My current grow has 7 plants, and again, they are crowded and the side branches that I did lst earlier on are being denied their place in the sun.

I was thinking of going one of two routes for the next grow, which will be in soil.

Should I plant about 16 seeds in 6L pots and trim them so they are basically the main cola and pack them tight (SOG), or plant only 3 or 4 max in 20 L pots and do lst on them to make them bushy with lots of colas?

Even with my crowding, I can count over 50 colas on the 7 current plants I have, plus there's a lot of lower stuff that doesn't stick up like the rest.
Would a SOG basically only give me one cola per plant?
Would fewer plants with lst tend to give a better yield?
Or is my sloppy way of crowding the tent and ending up with a thicket of varying colas and buds typical?
This is what the tent looks like now.

View attachment tent shot.jpg

Reaction score
Firs, when you are overcrowded, you actually get less yield than a tent that has the right amount of plants. I have a space almost twice as big az yours and I never put more than 8 plants into it. I think that overcrowding is your major problem. More plants does not equal more bud. In a tent that size, I would probably run about 4 plants. Running 7, each plants only has a space of about 15" x 15", not enough unless you are running really small plants.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
Thanks, I agree, and I also see that the crowded buds that don't get enough light are also less developed.
My mistake is that I plant more seeds than I want to grow in case some are males, but the last two grows I got about a 90% female ratio and then I can't bring myself to throw them out.
I want to limit the tent to 3 or 4 plants max but then I start to rationalize that fewer plants mean fewer buds and all my good intentions go up in smoke.

Reaction score
I know that it hard to throw them away, but your entire grow suffers if you put too many plants in a space. It is counterproductive and learning to throw plants away is part of becoming a grower...

LostSoul

Reaction score
I've got a 120 X 120 X 200 tent and I only ever do 4 under a 400W dual spec. I have crammed 9 in there before but I get more now then I did then and had mold problems too.

I'd go with the 4 if I was you.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
Thanks. I plan to limit the tent to 3 or 4 next time. If I have to put a dehumidifier in the tent I will keep it to three. I have noticed some moist spots on the tent walls where the plants were touching it and worry about getting mold too.