Turning one Female branch to Male for pollen

Discussion in 'Beginners Growing Forum' started by Aksarben, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Aug 9, 2019 #21

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod Staff Member Admin

Responsible breeders start with a mother plant that they have tested and stressed to make sure that it has no hermy tendencies whatsoever. You should not just take any old plant and cause it to hermy. You need to start out with good stock to begin with. This is the reason that I am not crazy about Subcool's gear. He thinks a certain percentage of hermy plants are okay. There truly is way more to it than just throwing chemicals at your plant.

QB, IMHO, autos were created for those growers too lazy/impatient to do it right--they basically watered down the genetics with ditch weed to make it easier to grow. And you're probably right about selling more seeds.

Sorry, but I will continue to rail against the bastardization of cannabis--the irresponsible creation of fem seeds without the safeguards to prevent hermies--the watering down of the genetics to make it easier to grow.

QBCrocket and Rosebud like this.
  2. Aug 9, 2019 #22

Aksarben

Aksarben

Aksarben

Well, I wouldn't go so far to call cannabis ruderalis species ditch weed. This link from Dinafem (pretty well known) Seeds explains a lot of the creation of Autoflowers: https://www.maximumyield.com/breeding-with-autoflowering-cannabis/2/4064

And this link has more history on Autoflowers, which is really good reading -> https://howtogrowmarijuana.com/breed-autoflowering-marijuana-seeds/

Regular seeds are less epxensive than either autoflower, or feminized. The demand for feminized has shot up as well as those of Autoflower hybrids.

1. Shorter so easier to conceal in your back yard or balcony, or more adaptable to growing in grow rooms and tents inside appartments
    2. Short duration from germination to harvest, so you can have more variety, and get in more than one crop/year
    3. Breed now to have a lot more potency and characteristic of other hybrids, such as Zkittlez, Northern Lights, Jack Herer and others
    4. Less equipment needs. Some have even grown miniature plants in Dixie Cups. However, using enough good soil, growing outdoors will give you the best overall yield.
    5. You can grow an autoflower variety to mature way before the fall rains and issues with molds appear... or frost.

We all have our likes and dislikes. I just happen to be one among many growers that like the idea of feminized seeds and autoflowers.

3. Aug 10, 2019 #23

SmokeRich211

SmokeRich211

SmokeRich211

Imagine falling into money ocean. Maybe years later, I will work it, know more about the clone thing, and make the cannabis growth easily.

4. Aug 10, 2019 #24

SmokeRich211

SmokeRich211

SmokeRich211

Imagine falling into the money ocean, we can see the beautiful future that we can work out, know more about the clone and grow cannabis easily.

5. Aug 10, 2019 #25

SmokeRich211

SmokeRich211

SmokeRich211

I will get the books and research, always study, know more, grow better and save money. Thanks for your share, Aksarben

Aksarben likes this.
  6. Aug 10, 2019 #26

Aksarben

Aksarben

Aksarben

"Marijuana Grower's Handbook" by Ed Rosenthal is a really nice book to have, to read, and reference. Well worth the money for it. Also, for history of Cannabis there is probably none better ( a bit expensive) than Jack Herer's book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" Ed Rosenthal's book (link) https://tinyurl.com/y4neusrr and Jack Herer's book (link) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1878125028
    Both great reading.

7. Aug 27, 2019 #27

Aksarben

Aksarben

Aksarben

Now that I have female pollen from the HWS High Density, I pollinated one small bud on the original plant and one lower bud on an Amnesia Auto. The High Density Auto grew very nice with nice looking structure, which is a cross of Big Bud Auto x White Dwarf Auto with 18-20% THC and CBD around 0.3%; 80% Indica. When my Jack Herer get up to size I will probably get 1 branch from one and apply STS to it to get it to produce female pollen as well. Might be intersting to see what a High Density Auto X Jack Herer Auto might also produce. It will throw a little more Sativa into the mix that way.

Most strains of cannabis will produce some male flowers if stressed too much. Some are more prone than others. It is not a reliable way to get female pollen from a female plant, and breeders use either STS (preferred) or colloidal silver to make a female turn to male pollen. Basically what happens is that the STS inhibits the production of Ethylene that halts the production of female organs and consequently produce male organs, but with XX chromosomes and no XY (male).

Ed Rosenthal, et al ., have written about the production of making feminized seeds in their writings. and the ways it can be accomplished.