Turning the fans off for a few hours - is it safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActivatedAlmonds52

Reaction score
I just built my first growbox (the usual: 6" intake and outtake holes, cooled hood, ducting etc.). It's 100% concealed and lightproof, but the 6" 36db inline fan is clearly audible and the noise would be suspicious to my guests (I rarely have any, but I don't ANYONE to know about my little project). It's also... 95% airtight - when everything's off, the only source of air is the intake hole.

Can I just turn the fans off (the other one being a small oscillating fan) for about 3-5 hours? Will the plants be OK?

I see you were asking about a contact for your HPS lamp. If you are using an HPS lamp, turning off the fans will likely cause your temperature inside the grow box to skyrocket and cook your plants. Plants need fresh air too so there is that. Can you just play some music or turn on a TV to mask the sound of the fans? You could get an idea of the temperature range before you start your grow by doing a dry run of cycling your fan on and off. My guess is your tent will become an oven with the fan off.

I always thought it was a good idea to have a much much lower wattage light that produces little lite but little heat for those times of stealth

to bad you cant time your grow so the dark cycle matches any people being around

are your plants in veg or flower?…..how long tomfinish?

If you turn your exhaust fan off both temperature and humidity will sky rocket if in flower. Don't need an exhaust fan in veg. A vent at the top and bottom will act as a natural vortex.
Yes, I’ve accidentally left mine off after taking pictures of trichomes and went back 2 hours later after my temp climbed 30 degrees and all the plants sweaty. Thank goodness I went back for another look for whatever reason I don’t remember now. Maybe my subconscious reminding me of that dumb move…

I just built my first growbox (the usual: 6" intake and outtake holes, cooled hood, ducting etc.). It's 100% concealed and lightproof, but the 6" 36db inline fan is clearly audible and the noise would be suspicious to my guests (I rarely have any, but I don't ANYONE to know about my little project). It's also... 95% airtight - when everything's off, the only source of air is the intake hole.

Can I just turn the fans off (the other one being a small oscillating fan) for about 3-5 hours? Will the plants be OK?
I exhausted from my grow room into my attic so I mounted my inline fan in my attic hanging on bungee cords and didn't hear it at all.

I can't go to Putes house. My ears are very sensitive and his inline fan is too loud. 😂 😂 😂
No it's not. Today would be a good day for a pot party......I promise I won't run out. Clasic vinyl, beer and pot for free.....what a country.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back