Turning the fans off for a few hours - is it safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just built my first growbox (the usual: 6" intake and outtake holes, cooled hood, ducting etc.). It's 100% concealed and lightproof, but the 6" 36db inline fan is clearly audible and the noise would be suspicious to my guests (I rarely have any, but I don't ANYONE to know about my little project). It's also... 95% airtight - when everything's off, the only source of air is the intake hole.

Can I just turn the fans off (the other one being a small oscillating fan) for about 3-5 hours? Will the plants be OK?

i hope you pop back in

this Thread has soooooo much potential for derailment and in contention for Drift of the Year

but alas , we are a focused and disciplined group and we are holding back the off topic remarks

But it is difficult

please come back

soon

awwww cr-ap………

does anyone know why the FAA grounded all those planes today?

i hope you pop back in

this Thread has soooooo much potential for derailment and in contention for Drift of the Year

but alas , we are a focused and disciplined group and we are holding back the off topic remarks

But it is difficult

please come back

soon

awwww cr-ap………

tumblr_om8bbzO7ta1r2aobgo1_r1_500.gif

I always timed my grows for off peak electrical times. Most coincide with the times most visitors are home eating or in bed. Cheaper on the wallet, too.
depending on what your meter is I never really found out why electricity would be cheaper at night. How do they know what time of day it is at least on old electric meters.
I know in my area electric gets cheaper on Oct 1 and goes back up in time for summer on first of May

Last edited:
i hope you pop back in

Talk about a thread drift.....:)

Ask Pete. He's in charge of transportation. God help us.

Damn, that's a lot of replies! I haven't even started germinating my seeds yet. I want to learn all the essential info before starting the grow for good.

I've read somewhere that fans should be on 24/7, not just when the lamp is on. Maybe I'm misinformed.

The lamp is just 250W. I'm going to use MH and then switch to HPS (like most people, I guess). I mentioned doing a dry run (no plants) in another thread to see how temparature changes throughout the day. Still working on that because I procrastinate too much.

The whole setup is inside a single 7' wardrobe + fake cardboard box on top to hide the light coming from the exhaust (it used to project a nice little circle on the ceiling before that). Lots of duct tape, window seals and zipties.

Damn, that's a lot of replies! I haven't even started germinating my seeds yet. I want to learn all the essential info before starting the grow for good.

I've read somewhere that fans should be on 24/7, not just when the lamp is on. Maybe I'm misinformed.

The lamp is just 250W. I'm going to use MH and then switch to HPS (like most people, I guess). I mentioned doing a dry run (no plants) in another thread to see how temparature changes throughout the day. Still working on that because I procrastinate too much.

The whole setup is inside a single 7' wardrobe + fake cardboard box on top to hide the light coming from the exhaust (it used to project a nice little circle on the ceiling before that). Lots of duct tape, window seals and zipties.
That same technique on your set up was exactly what the Apollo 13 astronauts used to come back to earth.... :rolleyes:

I ran a 6h test yesterday. With 250W HPS, the temperature/humidity went from 61F/64% to 70F/68% in about 1,5h and stayed that way until the end. The temperature outside the wardrobe was 60F.

So, back to my question: when should I turn on the inline fan?

Is it OK if it's on only alongside the lamp in vegetative stage (18/6h cycle) and then always on when I switch to 12/12 (flowering & budding)?

Latest posts

Back