Turning the lights back on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Massachusetts allows 6 plants for one adult or up to 12 in a household.

Mass is recreational legal with 6 per person or max 12 per adult household. Hemp seems to be regulated more as agriculture in this region. I am so used to doing this on the downlow that I kinda just shake my head at plant count laws. This is a fraction of my historical max lol...

My neighbors wifi is being stupid again. I just made an appointment to get my own install and stop paying him to use his which blows goats. Sloooooooow internet tonight OMG

So I hit up the Gardner Ocean State Job Lot (regional overstock/discount chain, for those who actually pronounce the R at the end of words) and found some pots. I think they are supposed to be waste baskets. Theyre really sturdy.
Lower profile and more volume than a traditional rose pot, suitable for hydro or coarse soil media (coco fiber is so great for structure!), just need to drill some holes in the bottom. $5 each. I love perforated sides for optimal soil aeration!

Attachments

• 20191110_083126.jpg
    20191110_083126.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20191110_083046.jpg
    20191110_083046.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 27
Smart pots for prolly a quarter of the price

Who wants to see some mite damage? My friend gave me some clones from his friend's garden, who swore up and down they were "clean"... I'm not sure if there is a reading glasses prescription in their future but I got them home and opened the pail- well away from my existing plants- oh holy mother of dragons, we have an issue.
This is what mite damage looks like. I found a couple live on top, and eggs underneath.
They are staying in quarantine as I treat my entire operation for mites, including my house plants.
F*ck me, right? These are strains I was really looking forward to- blackberry cream and golden lemons "glitter spray" pheno. Both have kush heritage and I'm always happy smoking kush (I think that's the whole point).
Going to dig up my respirator now bye

Attachments

• 20191109_141108.jpg
    20191109_141108.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20191109_141159.jpg
    20191109_141159.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 33
Hey Fogey I made a pilgrimage to your neck of the woods and found what I was looking for. I had no idea there was an afrocaribbean market in leominstah! I got some kenkey! It STINKS! mmmmm!!!
Fermented polenta wrapped in corn husks, then saran, and then steamed. Its great with every kind of spicy food imaginable and is totally gluten free.

Attachments

• 20191110_085508.jpg
    20191110_085508.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 23
I am about as far away from experimental as you can get in the food area. I am glad for you that you found that but I have a rule of thumb(or nose as the case may be). If it stinks, I give it to my dog to eat. I used to go to Taiwan quite a bit on business and they have(among other really horrific items on the menu) something called stinky tofu. It smelled like toe jam. I never tried it. Never will. The ‘1000 year old’ eggs they sell in every 7-11 were next on the list of ‘fogey no eat’. Then there was the restaurant that was hawking chocolates made with human breast milk. Beef, chicken, pork, turkey, pizza, pasta, salad, bread, cereal, nuts and fruit and mixtures of all of the above is all I’ll try. I wish I could choke down some unconventional foods but I can’t and don’t. Afrocaribean makes me think of goat and lamb which falls outside of the ‘fogey eats’ and ‘fogey may try’ Venn diagram...

No fermented animal products is my unbreakable rule with Thai fish sauce being the one exception. It's clear and not scary. And tempeh is as far as I'll venture into the fermented soy category. No thanks to stinky tofu!

Stuff to do a pesticide treatment:
Quarantine box to catch overspray, labelled so it gets disposed of properly when it's too beat to re use
Fine mist sprayer
1L bottle that I have measured 0.5mL of my chosen miticide into, with 1 drop of mild hand soap as a surfactant
Gloves
Respirator. Please note this is NOT a dust mask. It is a fitted half-face with 3M Olive multi vapor cartridges. The Black formaldehyde/solvent ones would be a second choice, but the Olive is easy enough to find.
The new cuttings are getting a good spray, including the soil surface. When this application is dry, I'll take them out and give the undersides of the leaves a light mist before again letting them dry before trying to handle- I don't want droplets anywhere- floor, clothes, etc.
Even after they're dry, I'll wear gloves to re pot them within the next few days so that there will be an uncontaminated surface to handle.

Attachments

• 20191110_113953.jpg
    20191110_113953.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20191110_110155.jpg
    20191110_110155.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 10
I hate dirty clones. I stopped taking them after a russet mite outbreak that i don't know for sure it came from a clone, but i have never had it before or after. Good luck. it is one of the lousier parts of growing, huh. Sounds like you got this. Sure glad you are here stinky.

It's unfortunate that a grower who thinks he is doing his friend a solid by offering genetics may unwittingly be handing over more than the friend bargained for. It's generosity combined with n00bish ignorance. Im always so grateful for strong genetics, though. I'm sending back some miticides and guidance to stop the infestation and help him in return.
IMO, mites are the STD of growing communities. They get passed around until someone has a confirmed infestation and yells STOP! (Or I shall say STOP again!).
I was PMing with Umbra last night and am taking his advice to put my stock on a bioactive preventative treatment consisting of bacteria and viruses that are lethal to mites, but harmless to the finished product and the happy hippies who enjoy it. Up until now, my mite regime has been alternating abamectin and azadiracthin in my veg room, with a late application (2wk flower) only on long-finishing strains to allow for decomposition of the actives. This means that in late flower (4wk and out), when plants are really up into the hot zone of the room and therefore most vulnerable to a heat loving pest, they aren't protected and all I can do is set my fans to Hurricane Blast (mites despise wind) and count down to choppy chop. This will be a far better insurance policy.

Well, congratulations [apologies?] to anyone who has endured bad puns and questionable cuisine thus far; we have arrived at a significant milestone! So let's go check out my bricks and Redstone foundation. Specifically, all the stuff n junk hanging off it. Watch out for spiders.
Ok there's a couple panels, pretty normal for a two family conversion. Granted they don't split the old units evenly and are on a single meter but that just means I've been footing the bill for previous tenants' excessive use of curling irons. Seriously I didn't even know that was still A Thing.
But what's that extra box?!
Aha we have a real live 40A time clock, on its own breaker, on a dedicated run straight up to the Stinky Attic! I mean, where else would it go? It's 12ga romex and terminates at a single wall outlet. I trust it to handle the startup surge from twin HPS600 simultaneously . I'm running one for now, plus a 4' x 4 bulb t5.
Properly installed wiring rated for more draw than you need is an important insurance policy- try explaining a grow related electrical fire to your policy underwriter, you might as well set your savings and equity on fire too. Safety first!

Attachments

• 20191110_160707.jpg
    20191110_160707.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20191110_160735.jpg
    20191110_160735.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Let's run upstairs and see if everything works now!
Electric radiator, check. Circ fan, check. Both of these are on a non timed circuit since they absolutely NEED to stay on in the dark cycle.
CO2 tank is pretty full. Have to test the solenoid and plug it into the light cycle timer to come on a little after sunrise and give a few toots throughout the day.
Haven't checked the A.C. as we will not need it til at least May.
Last... The sun is shining :) I love the first firing of an HID bulb.

Yes I have more sparkly bubble wrap to put up; I just ran out of t25 staples and apparently no hardware stores around here stock them. ***!?

Attachments

• 20191110_161017.jpg
    20191110_161017.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
You will notice I haven't put in my exhaust fan yet. It's on the floor in the corner just out of the shot. Right now the air is painfully dry anyway, and I run co2 enrichment, so I'm not in a hurry, but as the plants bulk up and transpire more water vapor, heck yes I'm turning it on, just to quickly turn over the air for an hour when the lights go out. Keeping the space heated at night well above the dew point is critical. Also a minimal temp swing reduces stretch. The surrounding room regularly gets into the 40s at night in winter so I'm running a hybrid sealed -room set up.

Well, congratulations to anyone who has endured bad puns and questionable cuisine thus far; we have arrived at a significant milestone! So let's go check out my bricks and Redstone foundation. Specifically, all the stuff n junk hanging off it. Watch out for spiders.
Ok there's a couple panels, pretty normal for a two family conversion. Granted they don't split the old units evenly and are on a single meter but that just means I've been footing the bill for previous tenants' excessive use of curling irons. Seriously I didn't even know that was still A Thing.
But what's that extra box?!
Aha we have a real live 40A time clock, on its own breaker, on a dedicated run straight up to the Stinky Attic! I mean, where else would it go? It's 12ga romex and terminates at a single wall outlet. I trust it to handle the startup surge from twin HPS600 simultaneously . I'm running one for now, plus a 4' x 4 bulb t5.
Properly installed wiring rated for more draw than you need is an important insurance policy- try explaining a grow related electrical fire to your policy underwriter, you might as well set your savings and equity on fire too. Safety first!
My sons house up in Hubbahdston has one of those timers or almost identical that runs a security light. Gonna guess that was a thing back in the day. However, I don’t think his security light is a Godzilla movie prop needing 40 amps so maybe a previous owner had a little something going on in the attic?

I use 1 for fans and other items separate from the light controller. Light controller is 220v with 8 outlets for the lights and is 100A

Latest posts

Back